1. Guest, we are counting on you to become an actively participating member by engaging in our clubs forum discussions? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Minn Kota Ulterra Riptide With Ipilot

Discussion in 'Boating - Anything to do with Boating' started by seadawg, Nov 20, 2018.

1. seadawg

seadawg Treasure Hunter
    Thread Started By

Does anyone have one on their boat? My neighbor just put one on his pontoon boat, and it looks like it is going to be really nice to fish in the Halifax with it.

2. mak

mak Deckhand

I bought one with iPilot earlier this year and stupidly had not done enough research beforehand. Had I known they had one now that auto-deploys and auto-stows I would have been all over that. I guess it sounds incredibly lazy to want that auto feature but I fish a lot by myself and it would be so much easier to push a button to raid and lower it while I’m on the other end of the boat dealing with whatever.
    Oh well, I do really love the iPilot SpotLock feature and use it constantly. Also the AutoPilot is so nice to allow you to take your eyes off your heading briefly to attend to rigging, etc. It was such a step up from the ancient foot operated motor on my old bass boat.

3. lobsterman

lobsterman Seaman Recruit

I have had the I pilot Riptide a couple years now. Best accessory on my boat. Every one cringes at the price, but once you realize how much easier it makes fishing you can’t figure out why everyone is not jumping on these things. Mine doesn’t deploy, or connect to my gps, but it is still great.

4. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Carpenter

I have one. Brand new. The Ulterra. 60" 80lb thrust. It kicks ass! The auto deploy and stow is the bomb.
    What do you need to know?

5. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

I have heard a lot of people say great things about the I pilot. I personally don't have an I pilot I have the Motorguide Xi5 because that is what will talk with my GPS.

lobsterman likes this.
  6. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Carpenter

The one that talks to the fish finder (hummingbird only) is Ipilot Link. I chose not to get that one because it's like another 400 bucks and even tho I have a Hummingbird now, I may choose a different type in the future. I not all that thrilled with my Hummingbird.

7. lobsterman

lobsterman Seaman Recruit

I am not sure if one is better than the other. They pretty much have the same features. Personal preference.

8. mkyota1

mkyota1 Swashbuckler

I have had mine for a while. I mostly fish offshore and it works great out there. It lets you setup fast and move if the bite isnt happening. Sure beats throwing and pulling the anchor! I have the 112# 72# version.

9. seadawg

seadawg Treasure Hunter
    Thread Started By

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

He got the 112 lb 60 inch version and I am now REALLY spoiled. We used it over the weekend, and I got the remote figured out. Deploying it with a "double click" was the hardest thing to figure out, because they don't really tell you to do that in the literature, had to watch their video to get the motor in the water :)

After that, slowly motoring up to your spot and hitting the anchor symbol (spot lock I believe) and then actually staying there, no matter how windy or high current, made our days!

I was much less tired than I would have been pulling up his Delta anchor with 20 foot of chain multiple times (like I was doing in the past).

Well worth the money!

mkyota1 likes this.
  10. mak

mak Deckhand

I’m so jealous of your auto-deploy, auto-stow feature.
    Glad you like it.
    Mine started dong funny stuff the other day. I need to dig up my manual and go online to see what I can find. It on a few instances just dropped out of spot-lock and I could not get it to restart the prop or shut down. Had to manually remove the batteries twice and once had to do that and briefly unplug the motor...

11. learjet3

learjet3 Pirate

I have one and it’s worth every penny!

12. mrwetwork

mrwetwork Pirate

Best bang for the buck of any accessory except your chartplotter!