1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Live Well Advice

Discussion in 'Boat Mechanics, Technical Help, etc' started by JBF, May 21, 2019.

1. JBF

JBF Treasure Hunter
    Thread Started By

85C5933F-810B-4DE3-A986-0E6F7E3EAD56.jpeg I’ve recently purchased a Kodiak live well. But I am apprehensive on screwing holes in my floor to mount it. I’ve seen nonskid matting at West Marine. Does anyone have solid advice on this, and if hard mounting what is your suggestion on how. I have seen the little toggle bolts and I’ve seen just bolting it down what is best?

2. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

If it’s as large as it look I would definitely want it attached somehow. I don’t think a non-skid mat would be nearly enough. I would be afraid one abrupt stop or tune would send it flying across the deck, and something that big and heavy could cause damage or an injury.
    I’m no expert on mounting things on a boat so take this with a grain of salt... I know that they commonly mount cleats and even poling platforms with just screws, but I’ve never felt that was the best way to do it. I think the better quality installations use a backer plate or washer and nut to provide a more secure hold. I’m sure the specific situation where the mount needs to go would determine what’s needed. Thicker areas of composite could get away with just a screw, but it would not work if you are in a particularly thin area of fiberglass... If you have no way to access the back side then stainless toggle bolts might be the best solution. Regardless, anytime you are drilling holes in the hull the main concern is keeping it watertight to prevent future issues.

3. JBF

JBF Treasure Hunter
    Thread Started By

The manufacturer says the weight of the unit on the non sliding mat makes it safe, but I agree with you. Also anytime I have to drill a hole a epoxy the edges before installing, also use 5200. Maybe overkill but I want the boat to outlast me

4. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Matey

Before you screw it in, you should find out if there is metal or wood backing to mount to. You dont want to be screwing into just fiberglass imo. Can you put it on the bracket or the ladder stand maybe?

5. JBF

JBF Treasure Hunter
    Thread Started By

This is not something I’ve considered I will definitely look into it probably tomorrow my only concern running the lines without cutting through hull

6. JBF

JBF Treasure Hunter
    Thread Started By

If you’ve done it and have a picture please send It or post it here thank you

7. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

post a pic of your boat and deck where you are thinking of placing it, and I will give you my advice.

Sam

8. JBF

JBF Treasure Hunter
    Thread Started By

4E44B537-646F-4C37-8B41-7AE0399AB640.jpeg This is one might help a little. There’s about 4 more ft aft then full transom with full fish box. I’m taking the tank out there tomorrow or Thursday will post pics then

9. Nautical Gator

PM me your number (do not post it)

10. JBF

JBF Treasure Hunter
    Thread Started By

I found the spot, now I just have to drill the holes. Thank you for the help.

11. mak

Post some pics when you get it done. Hope it all goes as planned.

12. JBF

JBF Treasure Hunter
    Thread Started By

Sounds wimpy but I just can’t bring myself to put a hole in the deck

13. JBF

JBF Treasure Hunter
    Thread Started By

93F435E0-04B5-45D8-BC8D-DCF5E9D2B100.jpeg It is finally done. opposite the second station. Took me long enough

14. mak

Looks great! Thumbsup1:::1 That will be nice. Now get out there and test it out.

15. Nautical Gator

so how is it held down?

16. JBF

JBF Treasure Hunter
    Thread Started By

Stainless steel toggle bolts, bedded in epoxy

17. JBF

JBF Treasure Hunter
    Thread Started By

Took me long enough, I really didn’t want to cut holes in the boat