1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Live Vs Deadbait

Discussion in 'Fishing Chatter = anything to do with fishing' started by adallas, Aug 30, 2020.

1. adallas

adallas Blackbeard
    Fishing Chatter

I mostly fish dead bait for a couple of reasons.
    • I can’t throw a big cast net worth a crap
    • Mostly catch grunts and want smaller baits for the types of fish that you can keep not the mythical red snapper.
    • Can’t find many sardines or cigar minnows
    Do you have just as good luck with mangroves with dead bait?

what do you use.

Nautical Gator likes this.
  2. Rich M

Rich M Swabbie

Grunt plugs are No. 1 for grovers.

Live Shrimp works too.

3. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

offshore just chunk cube up the grunts and drop on to the bottom. mangos seem to like them.

4. adallas

adallas Blackbeard
    Fishing Chatter

Yeah I need to do a better job of finding Mangroves. I’ve caught a couple at East 11. Maybe because I mostly drift. Last time I anchored on site 7 we were able to get a few cigar minnows and caught a Cubera or a do snapper. Thought it was strange for central Florida

5. mkyota1

mkyota1 Sailing Master

Most times that I have tried smaller live bait it always ends up eaten by red snapper. Like others have said grunt chunks are my bait of choice.

6. rich dude

rich dude Greenhorn

Live shrimp. If they are stealing the bait I hook up some sand fleas for mangos

7. DIANE J SEAMAN

DIANE J SEAMAN Pirate in the making

I've caught mangroves in the Halifax River and in the surf at Ormond lately (to my surprise). I take live shrimp but never keep them alive. I put them in a ziplock without any water (or they can get water-logged on long day) and keep them on ice in my cooler. They stay looking alive all day that way, and I catch everything that likes live shrimp using those fresh dead, including mangrove snapper. I've also caught them while fishing with sand fleas, but they seem to hit the shrimp more readily.

mak likes this.