1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Late Report #2 Crabbing Mosquito Lagoon Aug 30 2019

Discussion in 'Scalloping, Lobstering, Crabbing, Claiming' started by David Orlando, Sep 8, 2019.

1. David Orlando

David Orlando Master Gunner
    Thread Started By

My Dad and Brother flew in to visit for Labor Day weekend. I was really happy they still came even with Dorian bearing down on us! They landed Friday at 3:30pm and I picked them up and headed straight for the coast with a truck full of crabbing supplies.

We hit the spot with chicken drum lines in the water by 4:45pm.
    I’ve never crabbed late in the day, but I really wanted them to experience hand lining, plus we were going fishing the next morning and I wanted fresh bait for a shot at some big drum.

Nothing happen for about 20 minutes and I was bummed. Then we had a hit and missed a big crab! But it wasn’t the last, within 90 minutes we had 20 BIG crabs Only 4 were worthy of sacrificing for bait the next day!! It was a great evening. Wind was blowing so not bugs, beautiful setting sun and lots of great memories.

CA81A58F-B2C2-4F70-A310-866ECB425D56.jpeg 77E92938-FE21-453F-88BB-EB9E8709B117.jpeg 10E48939-CD1F-44FB-894C-67D645A13761.jpeg DBD6ADB3-82D0-4C70-97D7-DAC26467AAF5.jpeg

mkyota1, Greenedog and Nautical Gator like this.
  2. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Man, those are monster sized blue crabs. Very nice! Glad the looming hurricane didn’t screw up your family’s visit and Labor Day. Good job getting it done.

3. 311sarge

311sarge Powder Monkey

Looks like a good haul. Nice work

4. David Orlando

Thread Started By

Thanks guys. It was my Dad’s first time eating blue crab. Boy was he surprised. I boil mine according to the instructions on the zatarinns box. You guys?

5. mak

Yep, we used to use the Old Bay but have been using the Zartarains mostly the past year.

6. duffy

duffy Pirate

Those are some big crabs. I need to learn how to do that. Good stuff.

7. Dave rivera

Dave rivera Master Gunner

Nice blue crabs, thanks for the report.

8. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

I will say that those are some dandy crabs, always use a plenty of Zartarains and garlic.

9. David Orlando

Thread Started By

What’s the crabbing like in cooler weather down here?

I imagine they shut off eventually. When does that happen?

10. mak

I’ve caught them all year here in Flagler. Haven’t paid enough attention yet to say what is the best time of year. I need to keep a log.

11. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman

I am surprised but those crabs do look good sized! I have only been getting smalls (5-6") all year in my area!

12. mkyota1

mkyota1 First Mate

Nice haul David! I really like crab but have never caught and cooked up blue crab. One day I will give it a try.

13. Alec Guito

Alec Guito Cabin Boy

that's a good haul!!!