1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Lane Snapper Vs. Mutton Snapper Id

Discussion in 'Florida Fish Identification, Rules and regulations' started by robthetimekeeper, Aug 15, 2017.

1. robthetimekeeper

robthetimekeeper Seaworthy
    Thread Started By

It is very easy to mistake a juvenile Mutton Snapper for a Lane Snapper. The legal size limit for Lanes is 8". For Muttons it's 18". Fines for possessing undersized fish can be hundreds of dollars. I wouldn't want to see anyone get fined for an honest mistake.

The most certain way to tell them apart is to look at the anal fin. On Lanes it will be round and on Muttons it is pointed. Also, the pelvic and anal fins on a Lane will be yellow, whereas on a Mutton they will be pink.
    The tail of a Lane will be all pink while the Mutton's tail will only be pink on the lower half.

saltwater_snaplane.jpg saltwater_snapmutt.jpg

2. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Oh, Now this is some good information... Easy to tell them apart if you know what ya lookin for. Thanks for the FYI
    FIB1::1

3. Saltgasm

Saltgasm Matey

Thanks again, in the heat of it a dark dot can trick ya if your not expecting a mutton

4. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

So is this what fisherman do all day, look at a fishes privates Smiley Laughing018::1

mkyota1 and Bossman like this.
  5. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

I started to go there, but didn't.

Nautical Gator likes this.
  6. John Johnson

John Johnson Treasure Hunter

Thanks for the information. Hard to keep up with all the regs.

7. robthetimekeeper

robthetimekeeper Seaworthy
    Thread Started By

As I recently learned from another thread, the fine for having undersized fish onboard is $500 for the infraction and $50 per fish. This makes proper identification very important.

seadawg likes this.
  8. Neff991

Neff991 Greenhorn

Hope to get out by the weekend and find a bunch of these to catch and eat!

9. Buckshot20

Buckshot20 Blackbeard

Lanes also have horizontal yellow lines, mutton are vertical. Good reminder. Thanks

10. Neff991

Neff991 Greenhorn

How deep do these two snappers like to hang out in? Do they come in closer to the coast?

11. Buckshot20

Buckshot20 Blackbeard

I have caught them inshore but the muttons usually aren't big enough inshore. Muttons 18" lane 8"

12. Neff991

Neff991 Greenhorn

How far out usually for good keepers?

13. JBF

JBF Treasure Hunter

Thank you, sometimes they have a tendency to look alike

14. mustfishnow

mustfishnow Newbie

This is great information, We caught several lane snappers over last few days and were 99% sure they were Lane Snapper. This post confirms it to me.