1. Guest, we are counting on you to become an actively participating member by engaging in our clubs forum discussions? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Ladyfish Eggrolls

Discussion in 'FISH and SHRIMP Preparation' started by Ken Boone, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Ken Boone

Ken Boone Seaman Recruit
    Thread Started By

image.jpg

Cut the ladyfish lengthwise along the bones. Remove the meat from both sides with a spoon, taking care not to get bones. Just scare it, it is really, really soft, easy to remove. We got the meat from three large ladyfish for the test, so the rest of this recipe addresses that amount of meat. Chop, finely, three garlic cloves and three or four scallions (we put quite a bit because I love garlic) and mix with the fish using your hand... Add enough soy sauce to make the mixture look brown and add a couple eggs, two tbs bread crumbs and some black pepper. Squish it again to make sure everything is mixed really well. Put in tupperware and let it marinate for a day or so in the fridge.

Get some eggroll wrappers and put a small amount of the fish inside, roll it up into an eggroll (about 1/2 inch diameter). Use cornstarch in water to paste the eggroll closed. Either freeze the rolls or cook immediately. To cook, get about 1/2 oil in a pan hot like you are going to make french fries. Cook the rolls until they are brown, drain them, then eat! I know ladyfish have always been disgusting to me but these are really good. We dipped them in Thai sweet chili sauce (available at most any asian store), my son dipped in vinegar... We all liked them (and my son aint crazy about fish).

jeff barton and shrimpmansteve like this.
  2. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

Yeah you needed something to remove the taste LOL

3. Ken Boone

Ken Boone Seaman Recruit
    Thread Started By

Not fishy at all, Sam. I was really surprised. Didn't need to remove any taste, the sauce just enhances it. Thats what the sauce is for. image.jpg

4. Nautical Gator

something smells fishy to me LOL

5. Ken Boone

Ken Boone Seaman Recruit
    Thread Started By

Born skeptic...

6. slammingjack

slammingjack Scallywag

Hey looks good to me. Thank you for 411. I guess you can eat lady fish.

7. Nautical Gator

I love Trans egg rolls, I'll leave the ladys to Ken LOL

8. Ken Boone

Ken Boone Seaman Recruit
    Thread Started By

I suspected as much, Sam... Or is it Sami???

9. robthetimekeeper

robthetimekeeper Swashbuckler

I think Sam L. Jackson said it best in Pulp Fiction.
    "Sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy !@#$%^&*."

jules_winfield.jpg

10. Joseph Underwood

Joseph Underwood Cabin Boy

Wow never thought to cook ladyfish . I have ate Jack's before and I have ate Sail cat years ago. The sail cat actually was pretty good . But yeah don't think I try lady fish .

11. scasios76

scasios76 Blackbeard

Seems like the key is to let it marinade. Thanks for the recipe.

12. mak

mak Able Bodied Sailor

Never heard of anyone eating ladyfish. I wouldn’t mind trying it, but I would have to figure out how to do that without touching it or bringing it in the boat:mouseface::p
    Your egg rolls do look really good though.

13. shrimpmansteve

shrimpmansteve Carpenter

Much like bluefish cook it on a cedar plank
    Add garlic and onion. Cook in oven on plank 45 minutes. Then take it out of oven.

Discard fish and eat plank:)

Just kiddin. Those egg rolls look good

14. Greenedog

Greenedog Blackbeard

I've heard of folks making "chicken nuggets" out of ladyfish. o_O Those egg rolls do look good!

15. jeff barton

jeff barton Deckhand

Tele Caster posted a video about lady fish preparation and how to cook it in the share your non fishing videos sub. Check it out.

IMG_1822.PNG