1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Know Your Shrimp

Discussion in 'Shrimping Chatter = Anything To Do With Shrimping' started by keep it reel, Mar 24, 2017.

1. keep it reel

keep it reel Lieutenant Commander
    Thread Started By

Is this wild caught or farm raised???
    IMG_2844.JPG
    This is an easy way to know what you're eating

paleoman likes this.
  2. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

This is a Summer White Shrimp

[​IMG]

AL KEARCE likes this.
  3. Love2Fish

Love2Fish Petty Officer

Wild...Farm raised the tail is different. Not going to say how so others can test their shrimp knowledge.

4. Nautical Gator

Indian River Red Shrimp

shrimpphotos14-jpg.5623.jpg

Otter likes this.
  5. paleoman

paleoman Petty Officer

Honestly, no clue. But now you're gonna make me go look it up! Did not know this tidbit.

6. Nautical Gator

Hoppers/Pinks– Look for a slightly red/dark spot on very middle of the shrimp abdomen.

Whites– There should be a tinge of green and yellow on the tail end of the shrimp.

Royal Reds- These are pretty easy to recognize, they are a full bright red.

Browns– These are probably the most difficult to place since they don’t have any real defining traits aside from having a brown hue (that varies depending where they are caught).

Rock- These would be the only shrimp with a hard shell, they are pretty recognizable.

Farm Raised Shrimp

aquaculture-shrimp-matters-shutterstock_87364793.jpg

Bikn4god, Otter and AL KEARCE like this.
  7. keep it reel

Thread Started By

You're correct, it is wild caught. Let's see if the members know how to recognize the differences between them.
    These are the kinds of things I think about while driving around the state. Hmmm. I need a hobby

AL KEARCE and Shrimp Gritter like this.
  8. Love2Fish

Love2Fish Petty Officer

Did you figure it out yet?

keep it reel likes this.
  9. keep it reel

Thread Started By

WOW!! This is all the comments on this subject??

10. mkyota1

mkyota1 First Mate

No idea but look forward to learning. I did a quick search and came up empty.

11. AL KEARCE

AL KEARCE Mate

I really have NO idea but please inlighten me. I just figure if he's in my net he is a CAUGHT shrimp.:)

12. keep it reel

Thread Started By

The tail you see in the picture is wild caught. You can tell by the shape of the tail. It's nice and round.
    A farm raised shrimp has bite marks out of the tail from being in such close proximity to other shrimp.
    Next time you order shrimp and they have the tails still on takealook and you'll know what you're eating.

13. AL KEARCE

AL KEARCE Mate

That is very intersting,and good to know. Thanks I learned another tidbit.

keep it reel likes this.
  14. lobsterman

lobsterman Seaman Recruit

Ok, So I have not had shrimp other caught out of the river for years.

keep it reel likes this.
  15. TrainTL

TrainTL Pirate

Good info I didn't know the difference but they sure taste different

16. gatorfleas

gatorfleas Junior Member

So what difference does it make about the tails...are u sayin there is farm raised in the rivers?

17. keep it reel

Thread Started By

No, I'm saying the difference between the two. If you buy shrimp from publix or a seafood shop you will know the difference.

18. Otter

Otter Greenhorn

Great information, I have only caught whites that I know of. Are the diff types have different habits? Or all caught about the same ways?

19. keep it reel

Thread Started By

Winter shrimp run at night for the most part and run out on the tides up in the water column unlike the summer whites that are there on the bottom in clusters or schools during the day. You'll also see a lot of large white shrimp being caught during the winter months along with the browns/reds

Otter likes this.
  20. slimjim

slimjim Deckhand

Thanks for the info. But like Les, I have only had shrimp that I caught . after having the " real stuff" the store bought one just don't taste as good.