1. Guest, we are counting on you to become an actively participating member by engaging in our clubs forum discussions? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Jumped In With Both Feet & Got A New Toy.

Discussion in 'DIY - Rigging Your Kayak' started by mak, Dec 2, 2018.

1. mak

mak Master Gunner
    Thread Started By

I spent a good portion of a day last week looking at, comparing, and water testing a few different kayaks. Have never owned one or spent time in one so I didn’t know what I was looking for aside from perceptions based on reading and online research. I went in to it thinking I wanted the Hobie Pro Angler. After looking at them side by side my mind wasn’t changed. Very well thought-out features for fishing, but geez they are pricey. I know someone thinking about selling theirs though so used price would be easier to take...
    After looking and discussing I had narrowed it down to the Hobie PA & Outback, and the Native Slayer and Titan. First few minutes in the water and I didn’t like the way the Hobie Mirage drive felt, and I preferred the traditional pedaling of the Native Propel. The Hobie drive should handle shallow water better but I didn’t like the cumbersome way of engaging reverse. However, after running them and comparing for a longer period I started liking the Hobie better and it seemed to be slightly faster once you got going. But after an hour or so of working out my legs and leaning toward trying to decide between the big Hobie PA or a smaller lighter Outback, the drive style/motion really started to bother me. I guess the stair/stepper motion didn’t agree with my old legs and it really started to hurt at my joints. I really wanted to go with the Hobie but I just couldn’t warm-up to the drive. So I was now back to preferring the traditional pedal motion of the Native which I could still pedal hard without any pain or fatigue.
    So I finally decided on the larger Titan for the extra stability standing, casting, maybe throwing a net. I’m already second-guessing that decision wondering if I should have gone with the faster and easier to paddle Slayer or other model... Oh well, typical for me. Anyway, got a screaming deal on it as they had certain 2018 models they were looking to move. Way cheaper than any used ones I’ve seen online since I started kicking around the idea.
    Think I made the right decision about the drive-type if nothing else. Took it out Friday and put a few miles on it and was not sore at all the next day. I have not been getting any exercise the past year so I’m really surprised. Now I need to get it rigged-up with some rod holders, anchor, etc. I know there are some threads here I’m going to re-read for ideas. There are a couple good backwater flats and mazes of canals and mosquito cuts within pedal distance of our house/dock. It can’t sit in the corner with clothes hanging on it so hopefully now my fat butt will start getting some much needed exercise even if my fishing success remains crappy...
    56253561-8BA4-426B-BBD5-117292A0F325.jpeg 3F0E50C5-20D2-482D-8E30-1F23243157DD.jpeg 43848794-9C3A-4FF7-A797-D2A93CBE94F4.jpeg 33748635-22DD-4724-B10F-CCB808044B9A.jpeg A7288B47-6B21-4515-8106-DEE9DA55307D.jpeg 5E6E749F-9D49-4D96-BEE7-4D427124317A.jpeg

2. I don’t kayak but sounds like you did your homework and got what fits YOU best. Don’t second guess. Just enjoy

It looks awesome

3. mkyota1

mkyota1 Scallywag

Congrats on the new toy! Some of those waters up by you should be perfect for that thing.

4. gatortrout19

gatortrout19 Master Gunner

Wow, nice looking kayak! Congrats! I second guess stuff all the time too, wish I didn't but it's how I'm wired. I'm sure in the end you picked the best one that will make you happiest, get out and enjoy it!

Just curious, where did you buy it? Sounds like you got a great deal as well

5. mak

mak Master Gunner
    Thread Started By

Black Creek outfitters

gatortrout19 likes this.
  6. lobey

lobey Pirate

and just remember....if you end up not liking it you can just sell it to me for next to nothing!....lol....look forward to your future input on how your experiences evolve....certainly a great area to explore with a kayak

7. Johannes

Johannes Pirate

Hey, looks like christmas came early this year. What a good looking kayak. I hope that you are going to be successful with it in the shallow water. Looking forward to reading some success stories. Congrats!

8. Greenedog

Greenedog Pirate

Sweet new ride! I've been thinking about going to pedal power...I'll have to check that one out.

9. mak

mak Master Gunner
    Thread Started By

Hey Johannes. Didn’t you tell me you guys were going to be back for a visit in late December? Maybe another chance to find the boat you want.

10. mak

mak Master Gunner
    Thread Started By

You are welcome to try it out to compare if you start shopping.
    I’ve never owned a kayak but it seems like for fishing, the pedal power would make life so much easier than paddle only.

Greenedog likes this.
  11. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Wow, that looks like a really nice ride. by the time you get that thing all rigged out you'll look like a charter kayak.
    Big Thumbs Up1::1

12. Joseph Underwood

Joseph Underwood Cabin Boy

Wow what a yak looks cool

13. Johannes

Johannes Pirate

Oh yes, we‘ll be back December 22 - and I‘ve got a Bayliner F18 (besides two deckboats) on my watchlist Are you also around? If so we could have a look at it together. As you know my knowledge about boats is rather limited.

14. Jeepster

Jeepster Deckhand

Great looking rig. Looking forward to your kayak fishing adventures. Thanks for sharing the great pics.

15. Jason Torres

Jason Torres Newbie

I spent 2 years kayak fishing before buying my boat. I let my brother borrow my kayak and now I really miss my kayak!

16. mak

mak Master Gunner
    Thread Started By

Would love to go look at boats (and get some more fishing in) but will not be back in town until Jan 3rd. We are up in GA now to see our son and will be going out to TX to see my parents at Christmas.
    How long will you be in town?

17. mak

mak Master Gunner
    Thread Started By

Ha! Yep, loan your tools and toys and you may never see them again.Smiley RollingLaughing1::1
    What kayak did you fish from?

18. John Reid

John Reid Cabin Boy

Nice choice especially because you can stand up which is really important on the flats for visibility. Have fun