1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Is Sea Tow Misleading Members With Their Advertising In Their Literature? Follow This Discussion And

Discussion in 'In The News section, Local News and Information' started by Nautical Gator, Nov 16, 2015.

1. keep it reel

keep it reel Lieutenant Commander

It would seem by the answers provided that sea tow is misleading the members somewhat.
    It states in the advertisement that in your home area there is no limit as to how far or how much, they'll come and get you-
    Now comes the question I have for sea tow and the Daytona franchise,
    I'll make this simple. Yes or no?
    Does the franchise in Daytona Beach Florida have the equipment to go out to sea 40+ miles and retrieve a member that needs to be towed back to port??
    Simple right. Yes or no???
    No sea conditions implied, just can they make the trip and at what distance is the safe turnaround point for the tow boat???
    Still keeping it simple. I do not know a boat captain that doesn't know this information.
    Thanks, Ken.

Troy von Blankenburg likes this.
  2. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member
    Thread Started By

Sounds like I should email them that question and see what their answer is.

Sam

3. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

Is Sea Tow Misleading Members with their Advertising in their literature?
    Follow this discussion and find out.

Is it Misleading when a company advertises “No time limits, distance limits or dollar limits apply within your home area.” Than when you call they say up-to 40 miles? Well I felt there was a need for this open to the public discussion, with the hopes of finding out the true facts about SeaTow's services.

38916a80ecc9539875d8eccf7513e528dbab3f75_r.jpg

I started the discussion about having some boating towing services for your boat, (see Link)

Since then some members talked about Sea Tow, and BoatUS towing and services that they offer. I an trying to get to the bottom of how far offshore they will come to service or tow you back to shore.

Here are the emails and responses I have received so far.

Please add your comments below and keep this discussion going. This is an open discussion open to the public...

Thanks

P.S. ALL Members should call up or email Sea Tow below and ask questions, then let us know what responses you get. Thanks Sam

Sea Tow Services International Inc.
    700 Hummel Ave.
    PO Box 1178
    Southold, NY 11971
    National Dispatch
    800-4-SEATOW (473-2869)
    info@seatow.com
    Last Edited By: ntgator Feb 20 14 7:57 PM. Edited 10 times.
    Feb 19 14 9:05 AM

4. keep it reel

I'd very much like a straight answer but after reading all of the replies from them thus far I'm not sure they're capable of doing so.
    Ken.

5. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

Orlandoflorida

This much thinking and delayed response for a straight answer makes me uneasy. If your broke down offshore everyone needs to be on the same page because times goes by really slow stranded.

6. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

We all agree with you, SeaTow needs to clarify the distance they will go out of Ponce Inlet and Cape Canaveral so local members will know ahead of time what Capability SeaTows boats have. Members deserve to know before they get stranded...

It would be so easy for SeaTow to chime in to let members know this simple question...

They must know we live in a small community and word gets out fast around here... I moved this topic into an open forum so they can stay in touch with this discussion, so they know that this is also a open forum published on Google and all the major search engines...

It would be good business for them to respond to the ongoing discussion.

7. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

Letter to SeaTow

Hi Joe

As you can see the discussion goes on and members are still waiting for a straight forward answer form SeaTow...
    There has been 42 posts and 308 members reading the discussion.
    The discussion is now three pages deep and we still do not know where members stand if they need SeaTows assistance offshore out of Ponce Inlet and Cape Canaveral beyond 40 miles offshore...
    PLEASE CLEARFY THE CAPABILTY THAT SEATOWS BOATS HAVE, AND THE DISTANSE SEATOWS BOATS OUT OF OUR AREA WILL GO TO A MEMBERS ASSISTANCE!
    Thanks You
    Sam Florio

JOE BELOW ARE THE LAST FEW MEMBERS POSTS!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, maybe he thinks he answered the question, but I don't see a definitive answer. I see a lot of what ifs, but "NO" answer. Flying parts to someone is certainly not coming and towing a boat 68 miles off shore.
    The question is, will you come and get me should I break down while off shore,
    Yes or no??? You skirt the issue like a politician.
    While weather will certainly play a role in a safe recovery for all parties concerned is this your only fallback? Weather??? If so maybe you should refrain from ocean activity and stick to lakes and rivers.
    The coast guard doesn't charge a membership nor do the advertise like sea tow does.
    After reading the replies I for one will do business with Boat US.
    I can only imagine what the customer service is like if they can't answer a
    Simple question seeing how the
    "Franchisee" is servicing the area that is being referenced and should be familiar with the area and the conditions.
    His so-called answer is not an answer at all ! Doing what they can is not the same as "yes or no !!
    Ken,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ken I see you read it as I do, I have not received a simple answer yet... I agree with you, They know the area and should be able to give a definitive answer, skirting around subject of what should be a simple answer makes me feel as if they know the answer but don't want to say it in public.

Possibly because their competition (BoatUS) advertises that they go 75 miles off shore... And saying that they will only go 40 miles, when they advertise "No limit" May send members over to BoatUS...

I for one would like to utilize the services of the company that will travel the furthest distance to come to my aid if needed. So I hope that SeaTow decides to clarify what is the distance that they will travel offshore on a good calm day, to come to the aid of one of their members if they needed SeaTow's assistance. Not answering the question will make people think otherwise..

This is an open forum that is published on Goggle and other search engines for the word to read, you would think that SeaTow would like for people to know what exactly to expect if you needed SeaTows services....

Maybe they don't want people to know what to expect. Seems a little misleading from the advertising. They can speak whatever they like but when you write it out it becomes a lot more contractual. With the questions you've asked it appears they don't want to form a definite answer in writing.
    If someone asked me how far can I take my boat offshore to tow someone back to port I wouldn't respond with I flew parts to an offshore island, I would give them a specific area of operation and a turnaround distance. It's really quite simple, every boater should know his fuel constraints. A professional boat towing company should know this better than you average weekend pleasure boater, but for some reason they won't commit to answer. If you get stuck out there call me, I know I can come get you at 68 miles but when you hit 70 miles your on your own. Oops my bad isn't it. 40 miles

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SeaTow will you came to the assistance of a member that needs your assistance over 40 miles offshore?

So far 260 people viewed and read this post, and as time goes by hundreds more will... You would think that SeaTow would like to clarify their advertised statement below, as to not make members or potential member feel that they are be misleading people to a false sense of security with their advertised statements.

I mean, why drag this out when it's only two simple questions that need answering;

QUESTION: 1) What does “No time limits, distance limits, or dollar limits, apply within your home area.” mean?

QUESTION: 2) Will SeaTow go our further than 40 miles to service a members in need?

How hard can it be to answer two questions? They are on the waters of Daytona / Ponce Inlet each and every day, they must have received many calls from their members over the years, so they know "exactly" how they handled each and every situation that has occurred in the past, and how they will handle them in the future!...
    All SeaTow needs to do is tell us how they have been handling those calls for assistance out of ponce inlet that were more than 40 miles offshore...

If they cannot answer this simple question, I guess that would tell us that perhaps they don't want us to know in reality what they do (or don't do), and not just rely on what is states on paper.

SeaTow members want to know what members can expect if they need your assistance... So are you guys going to step up to the plate and tell us like it is...

One more time what does this statement in your ligature mean?

“No time limits, distance limits, or dollar limits, apply within your home area.”

Here let's break it down; This is how it reads and sounds to people.

1) No time limits;
    No matter how long it takes you will come to the assistance of a member in need of service!
    2) No distance limits: No matter how far you are offshore we will come to the assistance of a member in need of service!
    3) No dollar limits: No matter how much it costs SeaTow we will come to the assistance of a member in need of service!
    4) Within you home area; This could mean home post like Ponce inlet? or it could mean, home area, like Ponce Inlet, Post Canaveral and other Florida areas that you take you boat out of?

SeaTow you need to clarify these questions for us.

SeaTow will you came to the assistance of a member that needs your assistance over 40 miles offshore?

Answer these two questions, and this topic will be closed and you will get our clubs approval for a good member assistance service.

Here's my personal note: If a friend of mine was 30, 50 or 75 miles offshore (from the roll-down to the steeples) and could not get SeaTow or anyone to come to their assistance and tow them back in, I would go get them and tow them back to the inlet, with sea condition of 4ft or less seas... with my 29ft 315 yenmar deisel offshore vessel... (Yes I would ask for my fuel costs)

So why is it that SeaTow is avoiding our questions?

It would seem by the answers provided that sea tow is misleading the members somewhat.
    It states in the advertisement that in your home area there is no limit as to how far or how much, they'll come and get you-
    Now comes the question I have for sea tow and the Daytona franchise,
    I'll make this simple. Yes or no?
    Does the franchise in Daytona Beach Florida have the equipment to go out to sea 40+ miles and retrieve a member that needs to be towed back to port??
    Simple right. Yes or no???
    No sea conditions implied, just can they make the trip and at what distance is the safe turnaround point for the tow boat???
    Still keeping it simple. I do not know a boat captain that doesn't know this information.
    Thanks, Ken.

Sounds like I should email them that question and see what their answer is.

Sam

I'd very much like a straight answer but after reading all of the replies from them thus far I'm not sure they're capable of doing so.
    Ken.

This much thinking and delayed response for a straight answer makes me uneasy. If your broke down offshore everyone needs to be on the same page because times goes by really slow stranded.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Yuku app

We all agree with you, SeaTow needs to clarify the distance they will go out of Ponce Inlet and Cape Canaveral so local members will know ahead of time what Capability SeaTows boats have. Members deserve to know before they get stranded...

It would be so easy for SeaTow to chime in to let members know this simple question...

They must know we live in a small community and word gets out fast around here... I moved this topic into an open forum so they can stay in touch with this discussion, so they know that this is also a open forum published on Google and all the major search engines...

It would be good business for them to respond to the ongoing discussion.

8. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

MESSAGE RECEIVED BY Joe Frohnhoefer NO RESPONSE YET?

Your message

To: Joe Frohnhoefer
    Subject: RE: Hi Joe We are still waiting your response on our last correspondence,
    Sent: Friday, March 07, 2014 7:34:13 AM (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

was read on Friday, March 07, 2014 9:02:02 AM (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada).

9. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

MESSAGE RECEIVED BY Joe Frohnhoefer NO RESPONSE YET?

Your message

To: Joe Frohnhoefer
    Subject: RE: Hi Joe We are still waiting your response on our last correspondence,
    Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2014 8:20:01 AM (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

was read on Thursday, March 13, 2014 9:32:06 AM (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada).

10. keep it reel

I'm really surprised that a business such as sea tow would not render a response in a timely manner. Is this the way there customer service will handle questions from members?? Lot of
    "Non answers" and the waiting game??

11. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

Response email receive from Capt. Joseph Frohnhoefer III of SeaTow

Sam,

Capt. Joe is currently out of the country, therefore I am responding on his behalf.

Although we feel your questions have been answered, I will give it one more shot to satisfy you. This will be our final response to you on this topic.

Here is the advertised response on seatow.com under FAQ’s, which is the answer.

o How far offshore am I covered?

We do not have any specific offshore distance limits. How far offshore Sea Tow will go to get you is only limited by the sea conditions, fuel capacity of our boats and our ability to communicate with you. If, for any reason, Sea Tow cannot respond we will assist in arranging for an alternate provider and provide reimbursement up to $5000 per incident. In most cases, if we are unable to respond and no other commercial assistance provider will be able to either, we will defer to the U.S. Coast Guard.

------------------

Prudent seamanship and general reasonableness otherwise dictate and this is why we send individuals, such as yourself, to the local franchise to better understand their capabilities so there will be no confusion of expectations if you ever call upon us. Capt. Nik has stated his capabilities, which mimic the answer above and he will gladly further discuss the topic with you, if you would call him back. If you intend to exceed his capabilities your next step would be to contact the USCG to understand their capabilities and response protocol.

Best regards,

Capt. Joseph Frohnhoefer III

COO

Sea Tow Services International, Inc.

12. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

NOTE:
    Here is the discussion with SeaTow which ultimately would not say that they would go offshore further than 40 miles... At this time we will not recommend the use of SeaTow services, because they have failed to answer all of our members concerns about how far they will come to a members assistance! (see below link)

Go here for SeaTow's Discussion

80b268b80ce02c9c5d69047b3af57aaf5a8573c3_r.jpg

13. keep it reel

After reading the untimely responses from Sea-tows corporate office I can honestly say I would not do business with them. They had more than ample opportunity to answer in my opinion very simple and direct questions.
    They skirted the issue each and every time they responded which is unprofessional and unwarranted.
    This in itself left me with a very uneasy feeling when they are a rather large and well known maritime business who should know the constraints of the very business they conduct.
    I completely agree with the decision of this club not to endorse a company who practices business in this manner.

14. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

I Agree with you 100%, I have had members email me privately about their thoughts on SeaTow's False and Misleading advertising some of which wanted me to file a civil suit for False and Misleading advertising to induce people to send them their money thinking that they would be covered offshore with "NO distance Limits" which we all know now is not the case!!!

as you can see in their literature below!
    “No time limits, distance limits or dollar limits apply within your home area.”

38916a80ecc9539875d8eccf7513e528dbab3f75_r.jpg

When I called and asked SeaTow about their advertised statements, they told me to call Capt. Nik Foster

When I called and spoke with Capt. Nik Foster, the owner of Sea Tow Daytona,

and was told that that he would only come out 40 miles to get a boat. I stated that SewTow advertises no distance limits. and he said who told you that. I responded it's in Sea Tows advertised literature. he said thats not the case, his boats only have the capacity of going out for a tow of 40 miles. and that I should contact Sew Tow... I invited Capt. Nik Foster to email me or post on this discussion and he has not to this date...

Feeling that they know that they are misleading people into signing up for their services,
    I called and spoke with Captain Joseph Frohnhoefer Founder / Chairman / CEO and he agreed that the statement was a little misleading,

Called Sea Tow up on 2/6/2014
    Talked with
    Captain Joseph Frohnhoefer
    Founder / Chairman / CEO

He was giving me the runaround, talking about BoatUS, weather conditions, Coast Guard, fuel capacity etc... everything except giving me a direct answer...

I got to Spoke with CEO Captain Joseph Frohnhoefer, after a long conversation he finally agreed that the packet information was misleading...

I got him to agree to send me a email stating that sea tow would make sure if my boat broke down over 40 miles out that sea tow would make sure I was towed back to port.

So I figured that would be great so I waited for his email.

then after many emails, and going back and forth, they never gave the assurance that they would go offshore over the 40 mile mark... in fact they kept referring that they will defer you to the U.S. Coast Guard....

Well if this is the case, Why would anyone need the services of SeaTow and not just call the Coastguard...

When I told them that TowBoatUS will go out upto 75 miles offshore out os ponce inlet Daytona area, they said they don't think that TowBoatUS boats have the distance range to go out that far... and that I should call them to ask and see what they say...

So I did and as I have posted here:

I spoke with Derrick he is the Corporate manager of TowBoatUS towing Services out of Daytona Beach

He said that the TowBoatUS Unlimited Towing package is $149.00 and that they will go up-to 75 miles offshore out of Ponce Inlet to assist boaters in need of help...

To read the full discussion on TowBoatUS go to the below link.

15. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

So if you read this entire discussion you will see why ShrimpNFishFlorida can not recommend SeaTow to our Club Members

and why we made TowBoatUS our recommended Boat Towing Service...

05d36c248e89e051cd8352b697d37c4adee61f92_r.jpg

16. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

Letter from SeaTow Tuesday, 15, April 2014

Tuesday, 15, April 2014

Sam,

Just got home from travel and received your letter today. As you were told I was out of the country.

I am sorry you do not understand when someone is trying to do the right thing and must tell you that this past Sat the 12th

Sea Tow Daytona responded 43 miles off shore to pick up a member. Seas were 3 to 5. I will send you a copy of the letter of thanks we received.

If you do not understand what we have been explaining to you I suggest you need more help than we can provide. You posts are the misleading and deceptive, one sided misinformation and I suggest you are the one that may be deceiving your members by posting untruths. Try our competition and read their coverage areas, and see if you understand those.

As for your membership I checked and it was expired as of 4/14/14. Therefore you have had our coverage and membership for the last two years and no refund is due, good try however. As for motive of this trail of discussion I find it very funny that your trail is covered well on “Rip Off Reports”.

Please be advised we will not renew your membership!

"What we have done for ourselves alone, dies with us; what we do for others, remains and becomes immortal"

"Fair Winds and Following Seas"

Sincerely,

Capt. Joe

Capt. Joe Frohnhoefer

Founder, Chairman, CEO

Sea Tow Services International Inc. www.seatow.com

700 Hummel Ave.

PO Box 1178

Southold, NY 11971-0958

631-765-3660 24 hr

631-765-5802 Fax

631-478-5121 Cell

captjoe@seatow.com

17. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

I do not think SeaTow gets the point of what false and misleading advertising means…

When I called and spoke with Capt. Nik Foster, the owner of Sea Tow Daytona,
    And was told that that he would only come out 40 miles to get a boat... because of his boat fuel range and capabilities. Etc…

Now SeaTows email from the CEO Capt. Joe Frohnhoefer stated SeaTow went out 43 miles... the other day during a local fishing tournament.

Ok thats cool, We already knew that from what the communications have been between me and SeaTow...

but the question was and has been all along about their advertising No Distance Limits, and will they go out to the Roll down 68 miles offshore or the Steeples or even out 75 miles which is the normal trolling locations out of Daytona FL…

For all members who have been reading our communications with SeaTow, they have skirted our questions with evasive answers, and still have not answered simple questions… about the distance they will go offshore out of Ponce Inlet Daytona FL, or about their advertised statement of NO Distance Limits”

So when I received today’s email from SeaTow stating that they went 43 miles out during a Tournament, it just confirmed what we have been discussing all along, that SeaTow will only go offshore 40 miles give or take a mile, because of what Nik of SeaTow Daytona stated about his boats fuel limits etc...

I sent an email to SeaTow canceling my SeaTow membership and stated that we have a new TowBoat provider that we are recommending to all our members that will go offshore as they advertise 75 miles, to assist our members out of Daytona Beach FL, ...

and as everyone knows I have signed up for TowBoat US towing and boating services for all of the reasons I have stated...

So if you read this entire discussion you will see why ShrimpNFishFlorida can not recommend SeaTow to our Club Members

and why we made TowBoatUS our recommended Boat Towing Service...

05d36c248e89e051cd8352b697d37c4adee61f92_r.jpg

18. keep it reel

They're a little late and a lot short. You made the right decision in my opinion to cancel your membership with sea tow and pursue a membership with boat US.

19. keep it reel

Letter to SeaTow

Joe in response to your email,

You wrote:

“You posts are the misleading and deceptive, one sided misinformation and I suggest you are the one that may be deceiving your members by posting untruths. “

Joe, I would like for you to tell us what is misleading in our discussions? And I will correct it…

In my opinion, everything we asked you were our legitimate concerns and everything we posted in the entire discussion is 100% true and accurate…

You have failed to provide us with the information and answers we deserve, like the below to name a few;

1. Provide us with Information on how far SeaTow Daytona will go off shore?
    2. What are the range capabilities of SeaTow Daytona boats when towing a boat in from offshore?
    3. What was the furthest SeaTow Daytona has gone offshore out of Daytona to tow a boat back into Ponce inlet?
    4. What does “No time limits” mean? Since it was printed in your literature.
    5. What does “No distance limits” mean? Since it was printed in your literature.
    6. What does “No dollar limits” mean? Since it was printed in your literature.

All this should be good public PR, and SeaTow should be proud to inform members of it operations, not skirt the issues…

It seems to us, that if you cannot give a straight answer for these simple questions, it is because you do not want boaters to know SeaTow Daytona’s capabilities….

I can tell you that I will make sure all our local boaters know whatever your answers are, so they can make an educated decision when choosing a Tow Boat company that will travel the furthest offshore to come to their aid and tow them back info safe harbor…

So for the last time, will you answer these simple questions herein?

20. keep it reel

I hope he takes this final opportunity to answer on behalf if his company.
    All of the posts that I've read from sea tow in response to any questions from this forum thus far have been nothing more than "non answers" skirting around the no limit and no distance issues. Good luck getting an answer.