1. Guest, we are counting on you to become an actively participating member by engaging in our clubs forum discussions? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Intracoastal Boat? Gheenoe, Carolina Skiff Or...?

Discussion in 'Boating - Anything to do with Boating' started by Johannes, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Johannes

Johannes Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

What kind of boat do you own? Sorry, but my wife is curious.... :)

2. mak

mak Able Bodied Sailor

Nothing fancy. I’ve just got a little Key West 1520. I purchased it shortly after moving here at the beginning of this year with the idea that it would be an interim boat until I had time to figure out exactly what we wanted/needed. A guy right up the road had it for sale and it was just too cheap to pass up, plus it seemed close to what I thought I wanted. I knew I could sell it later and not lose money, even if the motor was bad. It’s turned out to be less likely just a temporary boat. It’s about the right size for this area, plenty fast, stable, and I like that it’s self-bailing. I’m not near enough to an inlet that I would be taking it out in the ocean. It’s supposed to be a pretty shallow draft boat, but so far I’m finding myself wishing I could get shallower at times. Anyway, I’m glad I got an old used one to start since I’ve definitely drug it over some oyster beds... I’m starting to think I may keep it and just buy a small solo boat for myself for times I want to get real shallow. Something like a Gheenoe or Riverhawk.
    Either way, I’ve got to get to know the area better and start consistently catching fish. Then I’ll have a real idea what we need. We moved to Flagler Beach at the beginning of the year but we have been switching off spending a month there and a month at our place in the N GA mountains. Unfortunately I’m not sure I’ll be able to be there during your visit in October.
    B70988D3-021D-4E7F-910B-F60A26BDD018.jpeg

Greenedog and Johannes like this.
  3. Johannes

Johannes Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

I like your boat. It is not too big, it obviously has what you need for quick fishing trip on the intracoastal and when it was not too expensive that sounds perfect to me. Okay there may be fancier new boats outthere - but the fish don‘t care how fancy the boat is and for a rookie like me a good used boat would also be a perfect boat to start with to acquire some experience. My wife would kill me if we would have a new expensive boat that I damage... So in my opinion this was a good choice you made. And with those Gheenoes - While fishing at Sleepy Hollow I saw plenty of guys using smaller boats to go for a trip... Sam said that they are not stable enough (they can‘t be as they are so small and light) but for fishing the shallow...

And when you are not in town in October then perhaps it works out in April next year. I‘m looking forward.

4. mak

mak Able Bodied Sailor

Hopefully we can make something work to get together in October. I’m definitely tied up with some hunting trips during the middle of October, but may be able to be there part of the 1st week or the last week.
    You may have a boat by April but I would still enjoy getting together sometime.
    Not sure if you are familiar with Craigslist but that is a good way to get an idea of what’s available locally used. https://daytona.craigslist.org/d/boats/
    Also https://www.boattrader.com/
    Fun to look online but as Sam and others have stated above, you have to see them in person and get out on the water. Definitely get a survey done as described in Sam’s link since you don’t want something that you have to troubleshoot and repair during your visits.

5. Johannes

Johannes Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

Part of the first week sounds good - as long as it is the end part of the week as we arrive Oct./3 late in the evening. And we just booked one more trip to NSB so we are going to be two weeks in town around New Years Eve. So we have plenty of opportunities to slay some of these fish together! One will work out. :)

And craigslist. Yes I did/do some research but those deck boats with fishing equiment are not so often to be found. And I have to admit I'm a little bit scared of scammers. Some weeks ago I found an car that looked interesting (because I need some vehicle to tow a boat) and this was 100% an offer from a scammer. I'm not sure if I would not better trust a local FL dealer...

6. Johannes

Johannes Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

I found 13 years old Stingray 195 fish&ski for sale (11K). It has some fishing equipment (live well, fishing chairs, trolling motor...), enough seating space and could fit into our garage. But it is no deck boat... Should I have a closer look at it in three weeks when we are in NSB or should I better wait for a real deck boat?

Looks like this: https://www.boats.com/reviews/stingray-195-lx-fish-and-ski-package/#.W5emjKKYHGg

7. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

I would definitely Wait

Shrimp Gritter likes this.
  8. Johannes

Johannes Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

Thank you Sam. So I keep on scrolling up and down craigslist and boattrader - or do you have another promising source?

9. Shrimp Gritter

Shrimp Gritter Seaman Recruit

I agree with Sam. A vigilant search should turn up some real deals on deck boats, I see them quite often just sitting, not getting much use. Might take a little barter and/or cash to get it but I'm sure one will turn up. Let everyone know you're looking. Good luck.

Johannes likes this.
  10. Rich M

Rich M Rigger

Need to slow down...

Johannes likes this.
  11. mak

mak Able Bodied Sailor

It’s good to browse the classifieds over an extended period to get a good idea of what is available and at what asking price. The ones that keep getting relisted are overpriced or have problems. The ones that disappear quick were probably good deals. I sure wouldn’t make up my mind or try to buy something without being able to see it up close and would definitely want to get it on the water in your case.
    I would try to talk to or contact some of the boat surveyors and decide on who you would want to check-out the boat once you get it narrowed down.
    Once you get here spend some days visiting all the local boat dealers and check out their used and new inventory.

Johannes likes this.
  12. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Carpenter

Johannes likes this.
  13. Johannes

Johannes Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

It took some time but I think we made a good choice. Finally we got us now a nicely equipped Bayliner F18. Okay, my wife isn’t too happy (no deck boat!) but atleast I am. Now I want to exchange the trolling motor to a version with GPS, self deployment and stowage and so on. (Thank you MAK for planting this expensive ideas into my head! )
    Question(s):
    I think a Minn Kota Ulterra 80 could be the right motor. Do you agree or do you have an alternative?
    And how long should it be for a F18 used on the ICW?

48CB0DE1-4B9E-4FFC-B301-9DF7CFCB32C6.png

14. mak

mak Able Bodied Sailor

Always happy to help spend someone else’s money greenSmiley Laughing2::2
    I think that’s a great choice to keep Birgit happy with what she wanted, but also setup to allow you some good fishing.
    I like that the rear seats fold down to make a rear deck and has the nice forward deck with removable cushions for the wife. I was surprised that it has a claimed draft of only 12” as it looks like much more at first look.
    I know you are anxious to get it wet in April.
    Here’s a better look:

Johannes likes this.
  15. Johannes

Johannes Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

mak, I am SO thankful that you helped me to spend our money. You really did a great job in the last 6 (or even more) months.
    I hope that the two of you are going to come down to NSB and get the boat wet with us! And perhaps this time it is you to get the skunk out of the boat. Keep on trying, mak!

Looking forward to seeing you again.

16. Johannes

Johannes Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

Okay... all smilies are gone. Hopefully the message can be interpreted the right and positive way.

17. mak

mak Able Bodied Sailor

I’ll have to say, I was really skeptical when you told me that you had a Bayliner in your sights that you really liked. My first thought was that Birgit picked a nice runabout for fun boat rides, and that fishing would be tough. Then I looked at the video link you sent and saw that it looked like a great compromise boat. Hope you love it. Also looking forward to getting together again for some fishing and sliming up your new toy.

Johannes likes this.
  18. AL KEARCE

AL KEARCE Matey

Hope she's good to you, enjoy and post up some fishin stories.

Johannes likes this.
  19. Johannes

Johannes Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

I also hope that it is a good compromise - What convinced her was, that the F18 has a set of "bow filler cushions". So she can lounge while I wet the hooks. But you are going to see in April if it works out like this. We are also looking forward to seeing you two again!

20. Johannes

Johannes Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

Thank you! I am going to post - and hopefully not only stories about those catfish!