1. Guest, we are counting on you to become an actively participating member by engaging in our clubs forum discussions? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Intracoastal Boat? Gheenoe, Carolina Skiff Or...?

Discussion in 'Boating - Anything to do with Boating' started by Johannes, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Johannes

Johannes Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

Hi guys, two to three times a year we come over from Germany to NSB and I really like to do some fishing in the intracoastal (swoop ramp, sleepy hollow, flatbridge...). And now I want to upgrade my boatless situation. The problem is, I never had a boat, I have absolutely no experience and I have no idea what would be the best to look for. It is tricky for me and I need your help to figure it out...

My general outline so far is: To be used for fishing/gigging day or night in the intracoastal, I don't need much horsepower, should provide enough space for up to four persons, bimini top or something like this would be nice, around 15ft long, not too old and priced below 10.000 US$.

If anyone could advice me what to look for, I would be really thankful!

Best regards from Germany
    Johannes

Tele Caster likes this.
  2. Buckshot20

Buckshot20 Blackbeard

Carolina skiff might be the only thing that can support that load and stay around 15ft. They are not the smoothest riding but they are built for function.

Johannes likes this.
  3. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

Johannes likes this.
  4. Johannes

Johannes Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

Do you have an idea, Sam, who could help me to test a potential boat? We bought a house and there we had a house inspector who checked everything. Is there something like a „FL boat inspector“ - I can check a muscle car if it is quite okay, but a boat... I never had one before.

5. Nautical Gator

in the above link you will see they are called boat surveyors.

Johannes likes this.
  6. Johannes

Johannes Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

Have you ever been to Sleepy Hollow (Between NSB and Port Orange)? Would it be possible to
    Got it!

7. Rich M

Rich M Rigger

You are likely to experience some confusion with all the different makes and models and prices. More $$$$ doesn't mean better in all cases.

Gheenoe is a no if you need to sit 4.

Don't discount a pontoon boat - a great inshore option.

Sitting 4, I would not go below 15 or 16 ft - 16 is a standard size.

A 16 ft Carolina Skiff would be good. I'd advise a full size version and not a J version. If you research them you'll see that the J has less side. They are a very good boat. Downside - flat bottom slap and spray when running.

A 16 ft aluminum V hull (call 'em utility hull) would also be very good. We've had over 1100 of people (4 full size guys) in my 16 ft aluminum with 25 hp. This would be an excellent choice for inland and the inlet. This will float shallower than a Carolina Skiff. Downside - metal gets real hot in the sun - use carpet or towels on seats.

You will find that you will need to "winterize" the motor every time you head back over seas. Run it out of fuel, drain the carburetor bowl, spray some lubricant inside the spark plug holes, and make sure you have used all the gas in your tank. If not, you'll be working on the motor every time you are here and will wonder why you didn't just get couple of kayaks.

Greenedog and Johannes like this.
  8. Nautical Gator

if so, make sure you check out the deck boats they are better then any pontoons....

Johannes likes this.
  9. Johannes

Johannes Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

Okay, full size is important when searching. That's is very valuable information. How much horsepower do you think is sufficient?

And those V Hull's.. - I showed one to my wife and she just said "No." She does not like this "pure" look. :-(

Those ponton boat could be an option - But the look very "sluggish" to me (sorry for this newbie expression). What do you think instead of those deck boats Sam mentioned. I think I like the look of them (and, very importand, so does my wife! :) )

10. Johannes

Johannes Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

And again I learned something new. Smileys Thanks 771216::1"Deck boats" - I've never heard of those boats before but they look like the kind of boats we are after.

11. Nautical Gator

12. Johannes

Johannes Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

13. Nautical Gator

Just do your research and find one that you both love... make sure it has a good livewell and sink... and that you can fish off of the bow and stern...

go to each manufactures website and request a info package. use google...

14. Rich M

Rich M Rigger

Johannes - so glad you are narrowing your search down.

Deck boats are very nice indeed. Couple of years ago we rented a 24 ft deck boat down the Keys for a family vacation - at one point there were 10 folks in the boat for a sunset cruise. A 24 ft boat is very big, I don't think you would want to go this large.

What I'm going to advise right now is to rent one the next time you come to FL.

There should be a rental place somewhere nearby that will have a deck boat for you and your wife to take out and test the waters with. Once you've done this, you'll know for sure if that's what you want. They will rent 1/2 day, full day, week, etc. A 1/2 day or whole day should be all you need to see if it will do what you want it to do.

Daytona Beach Boat Rentals shows them having deck boats from 20 to 24 ft long. Sand Dollar Boat Rentals in New Smyrna also has deck boats.

Another concern is if you are trailering the boat or if you have a dock/boat lift to keep it on. Trailering isn't difficult, you need to have enough vehicle and some place to put the boat and trailer (big driveway, side of house, storage lot, etc.). A little practice backing the boat up and you'll be an old pro in no time.

15. Johannes

Johannes Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

Rick, I'm also glad that I'm little bit more focused now. This is only possible because you guys are so kind to help me. And I appreciate that so much.
    Sand Dollar Boat Rentals are just around the corner and the 20' Hurricane (or something similar) looks like a boat we could rent for one day to get the "feeling". That's a very good idea. And trailering and storing should also be possible. I have a little experience with a bigger car trailer here in Germany so I know how to handle a trailer. With the vehicle - we also want to buy an 4x4 SUV or Jeep for this purpose in October so that also shouldn't be an issue. And we have a 23' garage to store the boat (perhaps we need a trailer with breakaway tongue) when we are not in town.

One more question - by now you have to pay a lot $$$ for parking the car&trailer at the swoope ramp or the boat ramp in NSB as far as I know. So we thought to put the boat in the New Smyrna Marina as long as we are in town. It's also not very cheap but it would be very convenient and it's easy accessible when I want to do some fishing. Is this a good idea or would you do it another way round?

16. Johannes

Johannes Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

What makes a good livewell - and why is a sink so important?

17. Nautical Gator

The larger the livewell the better... its a deck boat and you can get a sink, so why not... Wash you hands, and even get a shower hose etc...

Johannes likes this.
  18. Rich M

Rich M Rigger

Check the rates on the marinas - it might be a good idea. It is expensive but very convenient.

I think it is $10/day for the launching ramps - the guys on here can correct me. I have access to a private ramp...

A lot of the boats will have a live well - factory installed.

19. Nautical Gator

after the hurricane hit, there is a shortage of dock slip space, so make sure you get a trailer.

20. Johannes

Johannes Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

Our plan is definitely to get a boat with a trailer that fits into our 23ft garage. The question is, is it better to „park“ the boat in the NSB marina while we are in town to have the easy access for a quick fishing trip or would it also work that we park the boat/trailer in the driveway and trail the whole thing to the boat ramp every one or two days? In my opinion the marina is the better alternative. Do you agree?