1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

How To Steak Bluefish - Bluefish Filleting And Cleaning

Discussion in 'FISH and SHRIMP Preparation' started by paleoman, Oct 28, 2015.

1. paleoman

paleoman Petty Officer
    Thread Started By

Reading Bob's report, I wondered when he said one legal Blue........never knew folks ate them. I will now try them.

bogman102 and Shrimp Gritter like this.
  2. robthetimekeeper

robthetimekeeper Sailing Master

Be sure to bleed them right away.

3. bogman102

bogman102 Petty Officer

And keep on ice once caught!
    Also Bluefish does not freeze well.

4. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

Long vid for a simple filet job LOL

5. fishingfool

fishingfool Lieutenant

That should be on funniest videos! Ridiculous! Apparently he never heard of running water!

6. keep it reel

keep it reel Lieutenant Commander

I always thought blues where for bait or chewing your line. LeArn something new everyday.
    Save the heads for Bruce???

7. Eddie2002

Eddie2002 Treasure Hunter

They are not bad to eat as long as you don't cook up one over 4-5 lbs and they have been bled. When you filet them cut the red lateral line out of the meat, it is where most of the fishy taste and oil comes from. Any size is great for the smoker and they do make great bait. Not my favorite table fare but still can be good if done right.

8. they are better smoked but leave the skin on for that. Mix with cream cheese and spices smoked bluefish make great dip. up here in the northeast we get them up to 25 pounds great fighters as they get bigger

9. Aluminati

Aluminati Treasure Hunter

The best way to steak a blue is to dig a hole about 12'' deep in your tomato garden, place the whole blue in horizontally, fill the hole with some home made compost, then drive that tomato plant stake right through it. Then plant your tomato sprout. Grows the best tomatoes on earth. :D