1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

How To Remove The "muddy" Taste From Catfish

Discussion in 'Cooking Recipe's' started by Nautical Gator, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member
    Thread Started By

How to remove the "muddy" taste from catfish

Love2Fish likes this.
  2. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

That seems pretty typical for all fish, if you take out the red or dark meat in the middle if takes out the strong taste. Good info thanks for putting it out there.

3. jeff barton

jeff barton Deckhand

Thanks for the info Sam

4. jj1987

jj1987 Pirate

Interesting, I haven't tried catfish in years. I might give this a shot.

5. NCDave

NCDave Newbie

Outstanding tip! Guarantied to win over anyone who says they don't like catfish. I do the same even if I buy catfish fillets from the market. I don't normally soak them however but I do carefully rinse (or pat) any blood off the fillets before chilling them in the refrigerator prior to preparing for the table. My general technique with most any fish is to bleed them directly after they're caught which nearly always eliminates blood on the flesh when filleting.

6. Volleybum

Volleybum Treasure Hunter

Thanks for the tip! Seems like that would work on a bunch of different fish that have the same issue

7. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman

I really like fish; all fish including Bluefish! I know many who don't like Bluefish or even the thought of eating them.
    If you use the techniques above and the fish was handled properly when caught (put on ice) I think many more will be eating the local fish! Sam thanks for posting the video!

NCDave likes this.
  8. David Orlando

David Orlando Master Gunner

Yes. This is very key for bluefish.

9. meccalli

meccalli Pirate in the making

In Aquaculture, the sources of off flavours are geosmin and 2-methylisoborneol. Also voc's, these are derivatives from cyanobacteria and other forms of algae. The way we get rid of it is basically to move the fish while alive to a separate tank with clean water and don't feed it for about 3 days. Significantly improves the taste. Interesting method though.

10. meccalli

meccalli Pirate in the making

The bloodline as we know it is really just slow twitch muscle fibres, but it's more vascularized as a result. It does make sense that it tends to develop or concentrate most of the off flavours there.

11. kayakmike

kayakmike Treasure Hunter

didn't know catfish was table fare ...mmmm, think i'll just release