1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

How To Fix Boat Cover Problems

Discussion in 'Boat Build, Boat Projects... etc' started by Nautical Gator, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member
    Thread Started By

How to fix Boat Cover Problems

On both my boats, I have been having problems with water gathering on the tarps and making a pool of water and tearing the tarps at the eye rings that tie the tarps down.
    So my solution was to make some PVC brackets which should eliminate the problem.

OFFSHORE BOATS PVC TARP BRACKETS
    On my Offshore I made it so that the PVC brackets fit into my Rocket Launcher on the roof and to the rod holders on the back of my seat, this also protects my Boat VHF Antenna from the weight of the tarps.

after I put the small tarp over the top, I then put a 40 ft tarp over that. slides over easier.

P7220691.JPG

P7220690.JPG

INSHORE BOATS PVC TARP BRACKETS

On my Skiff, I ran the PVC brackets from the front center anchor Cleat over the Center consoles railing and down to the outboard motor. The PVC is secured in the anchors Cleat, secured to the center consoles railing, and secured onto the motors steering. all hold securely in place.

P7220688.JPG

P7220687.JPG

P7220686.JPG

Cover On
    P7220689.JPG

Goggle Eye and mkyota1 like this.
  2. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

Also making some Out drive Cover and an Outboard Lower Unit Cover out of PVC Pipe.

This will have some more cross members, and some sort of covering to protect the out drive from the suns heat.

P7220693.JPG

This will have some more cross members, and some sort of covering to protect the outboards lower unit from the suns heat.

P7220692.JPG

3. Love2Fish

Love2Fish Petty Officer

Nicely done on the use of pvc pipe.

4. AL KEARCE

AL KEARCE Mate

I do about the same configuration but I use ropes.

5. Great idea! Will be using that one. Thanks

6. Eddie2002

Eddie2002 Treasure Hunter

I've something similar for my 21 foot CC with two cross pieces and a longer support down the middle that rests on the bow rail. It pulls apart for storage. Nice setup you have there. :)

7. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

Ended up using some left over Sheet Metal I had laying around for the Outdrive Covering

Left some air space at the bottom for air flow AND made sure that none of the sheet metal went over the edge of the PVC pipe on the boat side, so the sheet metal would not touch the gel-coating.

Now the sun will not be beating down on the outdrive and trim cylinders all day, which could dry out the seals, gaskets and O-Rings etc.

Will be using some screen mesh for the outboards.

P7290705.JPG

P7290704.JPG

P7290703.JPG

8. AL KEARCE

AL KEARCE Mate

Got to give it to you Sam. You come up with some great ideas. I have a rope skeleton to keep my boat cover from filling with water. I think I will try the PVC approach. Thanks for the post.

Nautical Gator likes this.
  9. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

The PVC pipes solved and eliminated all my water puddling problems that rip's the tarps from the waters weight.
    Good luck. Thumbsup1:::1

shrimpmansteve likes this.
  10. Great idea. I may steal this one. Thanks for posting