1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

How To Clean Rust And Fire Damage From Hand Tools

Discussion in 'How to Section… DIY (Do It Yourself)' started by Nautical Gator, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member
    Thread Started By

Wayne asked: How do I clean hand tools that were in a shop fire? I need to know the best way to clean rust and fire damage from hand tools that were in a shop fire. The tools got really hot. They still work well.

PA100424.JPG

PA110432.JPG

When hand tools are exposed to extreme heat, the formation of the tool itself does not change, but the service is virtually always affected in some way. This cleaning method will remove soot and acid from fire damage, remove rust and even protect tools from humidity and other natural corrosive elements. All you have to do is follow these steps.

You Will Need:
    • WD-40
    • Rust Free and T9 (for heavy rust)
    • Heavy Duty Scotch-Brite Scouring Pads or similar
    • Clean rags
    Steps to Remove the Damage:
    1. Spray the tools down with WD-40. It works as a degreaser for soot and also loosens rust to metal bonds, so it pulls double duty against tools with rust and fire damage.
    2. Scrub the tools with a scouring pad. Remove as much of the surface discoloration as possible.
    3. Use a rag to wipe off the remaining residue. Once removed, you can evaluate the condition and see what steps to move forward with.
    4. If the surface is almost clean, just repeat the steps above. If rust remains, clean with Rust Free rust remover. Apply as directed, then clean with scouring pads.
    5. Once clean, apply a protective coat of T9. It works to prevent rust and corrosion with a thin, waxy film.
    6. Wipe off excess lubricants/protectants immediately.
    Additional Tips and Advice
    • Don’t clean tools with sand paper. It scratches metal and will ultimately lead to further problems down the road.
    • Offer further protection for tools by storing them with vapor corrosion strips.

upload_2018-11-3_5-55-24.png
    Multi-Use Product One Gallon Can
    By WD-40
    Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits. WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements. WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts. WD-40 gets under grease, grime, and gunk. WD-40 non-aerosol formulas also dissolve adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape, stickers, and excess bonding material.

upload_2018-11-3_5-55-8.png

Product description
    Use Boeshield rust free for the fast and easy removal of rust and stains! for light rust on steel or cast iron, spray rust-free on a rag and Wipe surface. Do not spray directly on surface, as it may cause spotting. For heavy rust, spray directly on rusted surface and scrub with Scotch-Brite pad. Wipe off and repeat if necessary. Rust-free works best above 70 degree F. Rust free is acidic and should be used with care. Use Boeshield t-9 after cleaning with rust-free to protect bare metal surfaces.

upload_2018-11-3_5-55-33.png
    Product description
    Product Description
    T-9 was developed and licensed by global aerospace leader, The Boeing Company, to fill a need for high-performance, long-term metal protection and lubrication. T-9's unique formulation of solvent carrier and paraffin wax coating was engineered to penetrate crevices deeply, displace moisture, dissolve minor corrosion, and leave a clean, waxy coating with lasting durability-without using Teflon, silicone, fluorocarbons, MEK, or acetone.

From the Manufacturer
    On a seafaring yacht, a dusty ATV, or a shower door, T-9 has you covered. Boeshield T-9 endures muddy bike trails, rain-soaked back roads, and salted highways. It withstands farmer’s fields, offshore oil rigs, and carpenter's workshops. For everyone from firefighters and road crews to cyclists and sailors, Boeshield T-9 is the proven solution. T-9 attacks existing corrosion, loosens rusty parts, and flushes out old lubricants. It is also extremely useful for drying wet parts, electrical motors and circuits, ignitions, and connectors. Apply T-9 and wipe off the excess for immediate use. T-9 dries to a waxy, waterproof finish without leaving a sticky film to attract dirt, dust, or mud. T-9 stays liquid long enough to permeate metal crevices and seep deep inside assembled components to leave a durable protective coating as well as lubricating and protecting-all without dismantling your equipment. Apply T-9 to any metal surface and let it dry. One simple step gives you a thin, penetrating film of durable, waterproof protection and lubrication that endures, months after month or mile after mile. T-9 dries to a clean, waxy, waterproof film that won't wash off in rain, puddles, or mud. You can rinse away sand, dust and grime with water, while leaving the lubricant intact. T-9 will not harm paint, plastic, rubber, fiberglass, or vinyl. It can be used on engines, wiring, and belts. T-9 is nonconductive and will not cause short circuits, so it's also safe to use on electronics. Use solvent or any emulsifying cleaner to easily remove T-9, or simply respray and allow T-9 to dissolve itself before wiping it off.

upload_2018-11-3_5-54-51.png
    https://amzn.to/2JELXfS
    WD-40 10100 Empty Plastic Spray Applicator 1 pint (Pack of 4)

Product description
    Number of Items:4
    WD-40 is a trusted and proven problem solver that has so many uses and works so effectively it is found in tool boxes, work shops, garages and factories around the world. It is an essential problem solver in any maintenance environment. WD-40 is a true Multi-Purpose product. It lubricates, cleans & protects, loosens rusted parts, frees sticky mechanisms and drives out moisture to prevent rust & corrosion. WD-40 is available in sizes and delivery methods to meet every need.

upload_2018-11-3_5-55-47.png

Solo 418 One-Hand Pressure Sprayer, 1-Liter, Ergonomic Grip for Gardening, Fertilizing, Cleaning & General Use Spraying

• Chemical resistant seals for extended use with harsh chemicals
    • Multi-directional nozzle allows spraying from all positions
    • Unique drift/drip guard provides added control for spot treatment
    • Locking trigger reduces user fatigue
    • Pressure relief valve releases excess pressure

mkyota1 likes this.
  2. Thanks for the tips Sam.

Insurance tip:
    Keep track of the time it took you and submit your labor hours on the insurance claim. You are entitled to that reimbursement

3. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

why ahead of you.... All my tools are being replaced, but I will attempting to restore some that are no linger made.

4. Gotta love replacement cost.

5. lobsterman

lobsterman Seaman Recruit

I have heard soaking tools in distilled white ginger and salt removes rust. I have not tried it, but will someday.
    1/2 gallon of vinegar to 1/2 cup table salt. Is the mixture.
    Has anyone tried this?

6. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

How To REMOVE RUST From Tools w/ Apple Cider Vinegar | Clean Off Rusty Sockets & Metal Drill Bits

Ever wonder if the hype is true? Will apple cider vinegar really remove years of rust without lifting a single finger? Let's see how it works, shall we! Thanks For Watching :)

https://toolsdoctor.com/how-to-remove-rust-from-tools/

7. duffy

duffy Pirate

I moved down here from TN and I was in landscaping. The first month down here all my tools rusted. Especially if you don't use them. Also, our first boat down here was a 14 ft John boat my Dad gave me. It was a metal trailer and my Dad came down to visit and saw the trailer. His mouth dropped. You couldn't even recognize the trailer it rusted so bad. Aluminum from here on out.