1. Guest, Did you know that you can Become a Star Member... and that our Clubs Forums operating expenses are primarily paid by the generous contributions of members - We hope you enjoy our clubs forum and become a forum supporter... Guest, if you would like to give back and help support your club, Click here and Become a Star Member Today!!! http://www.shrimpnfishflorida.com/forums/styles/avatars_smileys/Smiles/thumbsup.gif

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

How About Some Ice Diving!

Discussion in 'Diving, Hookahing, Spear Fishing, Snorkeling' started by bogman102, Apr 2, 2019.

1. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman
    Thread Started By

Here is something most members have never thought about! I used to be a member of a dive rescue team in CT. It was a joint venter by the Towns Police and Fire Departments. We trained regularly and that included ice diving! For ice diving we were certified by the NYC Dive Team. We were also certified for swift water, dive rescue, dry suit, full face mask, etc by a national organization. I can't say I really enjoyed ice diving as the dry suits were too restrictive but did keep you warm!
    The first picture is of our truck and trailer for all our gear. We used an inflatable like a Zodiac and an amphibious wheeled vehicle for rescues or recoveries. wilton dive rescue.jpg
    Next shot is showing cutting a hole in the ice with a chain saw! DSCN2037.JPG
    Once the hole is cut the diver is tethered with a rope for safety. DSCN2039.JPG
    We used full face mask with communication. This is the transciever. The diver used the tethering line for communication to topside perssonnel and vice versa by a series of tugs on the lines.
    DSCN2038.JPG
    All divers and spotters were in constant communication with each other and we kept a diver ready to go at the surface in case of any emergencies! DSCN2041.JPG DSCN2042.JPG
    Above is a picture of me at one of our dives. I was a line tender that day. We also trained with other local Dive Teams including the Westport CT Dive Team so we could get some salt water experience. Unfortunately, while I was a member, we had more recoveries than rescues.
    Anybody want to give it a try! Not for the faint of heart!

2. mak

mak Carpenter

Very interesting. Great pics.
    I’m always up to try just about anything new, however, that’s something I would take a pass on... Even with the rope it would be unnerving. I would want to be able to shoot straight back up if there was a problem with air...
    When did you retire from that work?

3. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman
    Thread Started By

December 2013. I enjoyed it but I am happily retired now! Notice that I live someplace warm now!

4. shrimpmansteve

shrimpmansteve Carpenter

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing