1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Help. Wierd Stuff

Discussion in 'Hunting - Trapping, Deer, Gator, Hog, Turkey' started by Rich M, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Rich M

Rich M Seadog
    Thread Started By

OK - 3rd rang trip w 350 Legend.

Loading it up to about 2400 fps w 165 gr ftx bullet and 2500 fps w 158 fury bullet. These are approximate as I forgot chrono...

1224201630a.jpg
    1224201630.jpg

The 3-9x40 BDC scope was not changed. 3 group shots x3 and 2 group shot x1. Top target is 175 yards (1.5 inch outside edge on tighter group), bottom is 225 yds (1.1 inch outside edge on tighter group, 1.5 inch between outside edge on bottom 2). Not too shabby.

What the heck? I was back off the scope and that seems to be the reason for the high and low shooting - head positions. Is that parallax? Vortex diamondback, cheaper scope...nice reticle, less cluttered w lines than others.

Any comments? Gonna use a sled type rest next time.

Surprised can't use bdc when shooting these ranges. Can't believe ballistic calculations...

2. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

yup has to be the scope if you zoomed in then out and it is off. I would defensibly not hunt till you correct this or the big guy will get away.

3. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Assuming you didn’t change your magnification at each range... Parallax definitely comes into play if you didn’t have your eye and head position in the exact same spot each time. Much more of an issue on cheaper scopes and at the extremes of the focal range. If you were using a different set of the elevation reticle then that could account for windage drift if scope or reticle isn’t mounted perfectly straight. I’m not sure I understand what problem you are asking about. If it’s elevation grouping not where you wanted or expected then you don’t have the correct magnification setting picked for your bullet weight and speed for the horizontal retical hashes to be accurate.

4. Rich M

Rich M Seadog
    Thread Started By

The scope was on 9x for both targets. Shot 3 and 2 shot groups, the tighter groups were low or at least consistent winds - was gusty.

Top target. 175 yds 2 groups. Higher 3 went first. Walk down to target and back. Shoot the 1.5 inch group next, just 3 inches lower.

Bottom target. 225 yards, shot the 1.1 inch group. Walked down and back. Shot last 2. 3 inches lower.

Gotta be head position for that. Holding forearm so bipods didn't walk and affect shot.

No adjustment was made to the scope, not zero or magnification. Mfr says hash mark distance is true at 9x. Cheaper scope - yes $200 scope.

Tried hash marks and bullets shot higher but there is supposed to be a 5 or 6 inch drop between 175 and 225. Didn't happen, unless if we say the top of the 175 target and the low on the 225 target. The tighter 3 shot groups are essentially the same. LOL

It may come down to me trying to do too much at once. Playing w 2 bullet types might be part of it. The targets here are 165 Hornady FTX.

The other bullet was fury 158 soft point. Ran out of these bullets. When sighting was getting 2 touching then adjust, etc. It seemed to shoot a tad tighter.

They print similar placed. The FTX shoots a tad higher.

Think the AOLs and powder charges are decent, not gonna mess w anything there.

Another range trip necessary to figure nuances. Also crazy to shoot 1.1 inch group with this thing at 225 yards. Not gonna try to do any better. It shoots above its class.

5. mak

Yep, that is really weird. I was thinking you were changing the hash mark lineup for each group. I’ve had them wandering around my target before as the barrel heated-up but that’s not happening here. Crazy tight groups for that rifle at that distance.

6. Rich M

Rich M Seadog
    Thread Started By

Just went to Bass pro and another store. Got two 250 packs of 124 berry's at BPS and a lone 100 pack of 165 FTXs at the unnamed store. Takes some pressure off of reloading and shooting some more.

Get it figured out and load a box or two for future hunting.

Also got a blue and white 20 ft bomber lure for kings. Fun shopping trip.

7. Rich M

Rich M Seadog
    Thread Started By

Loaded up 50 of the FTX and 30 solid point bullets yesterday - both have similar POI. Need to get out and see if can make sense out of the scope this weekend. Will use solids for tests then confirm with FTX and hopefully have a bunch left over.

All kinds of stuff happening right now - busy, busy.

8. Rich M

Rich M Seadog
    Thread Started By

Got out to shoot today.

Zeroed the scope 3 inches high at 100 and figured it out. Was my head placement.

Bullet speed seemed slow and erratic - I'm saying it is the chrono. Got numbers from 1560 to 2295. Meanwhile I'm about cutting holes and shooting 1 to 2 inch groups by shooting 50, 100, 175, 225, 1 shot each, running the distances 3 or 4 times. LOL. I was getting flustered cause couldn't fin new bullet holes in target a few times and the were about in the previous holes.

250 was two shots adjacent and one about 2 inches over for the 2 inch group of a steep dirt berm.

Feeling ready to hunt. Gun is on, I'm on. It is a laser.

50 yds is 1.5-2 inch high
    100 yds is 3 inch high
    150 is 2 inch high
    175 dead nuts
    225 is first hash mark
    250 is 3 inches above 2nd hash mark

We'll see how she works next week.

9. mak

Sounds like it’s dialed-in and ready to go. Good luck next week. Thumbsup1:::1

10. Rich M

Rich M Seadog
    Thread Started By

T-1 day. A little anxious.

The lease is partially flooded!
    The road to the back is flooded out.
    WNW wind (not the best).
    BUT we have a cool front - today is 60/45 w 90% rain - Friday is 52/37 - Saturday is 53/32 - Sunday is 55/34 So, the weather is gonna be decent and should help them move a bit.

Corn was scattered in the drier, easier access areas on Tuesday afternoon.

Thinking about bringing a 10 ft johnboat for floating the 4 wheeler across the deep puddle/pond to access back area. No-one has been back there due to wet conditions, should be relatively undisturbed and scent free for the last couple of weeks.

Probably scatter corn tomorrow as early as we get there at 4 spots w cams and 2 other spots. 1/2 bag slung at each. See what the cam data says Saturday around noon. Hopefully we can get on a decent buck.

Mainly hoping to see some deer numbers.

11. mak

I’ve got to see pics if you float a 4 wheeler across on a 10’ Jon boat.
    Good luck on your hunt.

12. Rich M

Rich M Seadog
    Thread Started By

Dad didn't want to have that kind of adventure. Stuff is really flooded tho.

Only seen a couple. 2 out a 3 for now. 350 Legend at 30 and 50 yards. Want 1 more but at 150 yards. IMG_20210109_165617_01.jpg
    Btw, that's exit, entrance blew a fist size hole in shoulder meat.

13. mak

Glad you got a couple and got to break in the new rifle. We’ll be running out since I only took one this year. I usually see the opposite with my shots... get a tiny entry I sometimes have to search for and then a giant exit.

14. Rich M

Rich M Seadog
    Thread Started By

The damage was internal mainly, does make a 35 cal hole in and maybe 45 or 50 out.

It doesn't have the instant smack down a high velocity gun has.

Gonna do a short drive where we saw a couple deer yesterday. Dad's easing into place, checking out all the tracks and such along the way. Nice that he's having fun. Be nice to put a couple out past him. Island of trees, we saw how they left yesterday. Don't think anyone has done this here before.

15. Rich M

Rich M Seadog
    Thread Started By

Well, it goes like this. Dad goes to the predetermined spot and has been so conditioned the he's watching the woods - where the deer will run to and not the clear cut between the area I'm driving and the woods.

Well,,,, at least until a doe snorts at him from 50 yards away kind of behind him and 2 bolt into the woods.

Little bit later 3 break and hurry across to the woods. These were a little further out.

Lastly as I covered the upper portion of the wooded area (2nd pass thru), a doe comes a-leaping across. He said she was doing 20 to 30 ft bounds within 50 yards. That impressed him. Said he had no opportunity on any of the deer as they were all going a little too quick. I don't think he wanted to shoot a doe.

That wraps up our season. 4 hunts for him in the cold w no sightings to 6 deer running around out front. That'll work for now.

16. mak

Ha ha! Well, that will keep him going until next year. At least he got to see a bunch.