1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Help Get Me Back On The Water

Discussion in 'Boat Supply, Boat Parts, Boat Information etc…' started by Seafood lover, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Seafood lover

Seafood lover Greenhorn
    Thread Started By

I have a 21ft key largo center console with 150hp Yamaha that i had $700 worth of work done and now water is getting I the fuel, can anyone tell me why?

2. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

lobsterman likes this.
  3. Seafood lover

Seafood lover Greenhorn
    Thread Started By

New fuel water separator installed in that service.

4. Bob C

Bob C Master Gunner

I recently bought $100 of gas that had about 15 gallons of water in it, so that is always a possibility. Some water from condensation is possible but a water separator can handle that. Then there is the possibility of a leak in your tank that water is getting in? This is the one you do not want. So if you get all the gas out of the tank have a pressure test done to find if you have a leak. Good luck!

Nautical Gator likes this.
  5. lobsterman

lobsterman Seaman Recruit

Is it Ethonal gas? How long did it sit with the gas in it? Is the vent always open or can you shut it some have a check. Do you have a plastic or aluminum tank? If you have a full tank of gas it would leak into the bulge. Do you have fuel in the bulge? The gas weight and pressure in the tank should make gas leak out of the tank not water leak in unless the tank is empty? Do you smell gasoline? Ethonal gas attracts moisture. Ethonal gas in an aluminum tank attracts condensation making maters worse. Built in gas tanks make trouble shooting difficulty. You may have to drain the gas and pressure test it. BE CARFUL!
    A hole/seal in the gas tank.
    Through the vent.
    Condensation.
    Ethonal gas.
    Good luck.

Nautical Gator likes this.
  6. Seafood lover

Seafood lover Greenhorn
    Thread Started By

Thanks I'll have that done on Saturday.

7. Seafood lover

Seafood lover Greenhorn
    Thread Started By

I've drained the tanks twice water test out and still water gets in fuel.

lobsterman likes this.
  8. Nautical Gator

A water filter can get filled with water in five minutes, do you have a clear bowl to see the fuel in the filter?

9. Seafood lover

Seafood lover Greenhorn
    Thread Started By

Regular unleaded
    Yes

10. Nautical Gator

can you see any water in the bowl?
    if there is NO water in the bowl, than you have a water leak in your tank, because if there is water in your fuel, than you would have to have water in your bowl.

11. Seafood lover

Seafood lover Greenhorn
    Thread Started By

No water In the bowl

12. lobsterman

Looks like you are going to have to pressure test the tank. Very tricky and dangerous. You need to drain the fuel. Let the fumes dissipate. Block the vents and put low pressure into it with a pressure gauge. Just an idea but ACE sells a inflatable plug in the plumbing department. Maybe they have one that will block the fuel cap. Hook a gauge and low pressure pump into the fuel line connection and put about 15psi into it and let it sit and see how long it hold pressure. That bad of leak probably will not hold long. Make sure any normal vents are blocked. Like I said not easy and dangerous. Be careful.

13. Seafood lover

Seafood lover Greenhorn
    Thread Started By

Thanks, I'll get it looked at this weekend, i want to be on the water within the next two weeks

14. Seafood lover

Seafood lover Greenhorn
    Thread Started By

Thanks, i think I'll let a professional do it, lol.

lobsterman likes this.
  15. lobsterman

Good idea. We did this testing on my friends Aquasport. After all the testing He had to have the floor cut out and a new tank installed. I thought his boat was going to be trashed, but it came out really good. They even reinforce the deck under the driver seat. Not cheap. If I remember it was $2k.

16. Seafood lover

Seafood lover Greenhorn
    Thread Started By

If i want to get back on the water it has to be done

17. Nautical Gator

Another thing is that even though you are saying that there is no water in the filter, if there is water in the tank, it has to pass through the filter, so are you sure you are not just seeing water in the filter?

18. Seafood lover

Seafood lover Greenhorn
    Thread Started By

It's possible I'll check again once i return home