1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Hazmat Crew Responds To Orange County Gas Station After Boater Pumps Gas Into Cockpit

Discussion in 'In The News section, Local News and Information' started by Nautical Gator, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member
    Thread Started By

Really Wow

Hazmat crew responds to Orange County gas station after boater pumps gas into cockpit

The man pumped 30 gallons gas into the cockpit, according to fire crews

upload_2020-1-28_5-59-14.png

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. – A Hazmat crew had to respond to a 7-Eleven gas station in Orange County after a boater pumped 30 gallons of gas into the cockpit of his 18-foot boat, according to the Orange County Fire Rescue.

The incident happened around 11:35 a.m. Monday on the 2900 block of North Orange Blossom Trail.

upload_2020-1-28_6-32-49.png

The fire rescue said he accidentally put the nozzle where the fishing poles go and pumped 30 gallons of gas into the cockpit.

Crews said when the Orlando boater realized he pumped $60 of fuel in the wrong spot he pumped $40 worth of gas in the right place.

Crews were able to siphoned most of the fuel out, according to fire rescue.

No one was injured in the incident.

Firefighters cleared the scene around 2:30 p.m.

upload_2020-1-28_6-33-50.png

upload_2020-1-28_6-34-13.png

2. shrimpmansteve

shrimpmansteve Buccaneer

I hate to admit that I did the same thing when I first got my boat. But I realized after a gallon or two.

Nautical Gator likes this.
  3. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

:knocking my head:
    I was going to say I could remember one of our members started to do that. Seems like there were some other similar stories in that msg thread. I can see how it could happen.

Nautical Gator likes this.
  4. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

I can not see how this can happen... there is a gas cap that you need to unscrew... does not look like anything else on the boat... looks close to my offshores waste dump cap... but different...

buy what cap goes into the cock pit?

Shrimp Gritter likes this.
  5. Seems as if he was in a rush, mistakes always happen during a rush, I’m sure he will get some sort of bill lol
    But anyhow, atleast my boat has a special turnkey required to get gas cap off which is attached to my keys, which I would use to monitor level (gauge, which I need key to turn ignition) while fueling for how much I’m filling up.
    Huge user error, saw on news this morning.

6. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

I have the same thing on mine

7. Saltgasm

Saltgasm Mate

Smooth move Ex Lax! Have fun getting that smell out.

8. Shrimp Gritter

Shrimp Gritter Seaman apprentice

Definitely not familiar with his boat. Would not happen if he was. Which means there is probably another “blooper” scene fixing to happen when he gets to the ramp.

9. shrimpmansteve

shrimpmansteve Buccaneer

Happened to me first time I had my boat. And it was my first boat. Accidents happen but I realized it very quickly and never did it again. Also launched without plug once, once. Also when very new to boating.

10. Lynnae

Lynnae Rigger

Oh wow! That's just crazy!