1. Guest, we are counting on you to become an actively participating member by engaging in our clubs forum discussions? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Has Anyone Been Crabbing?

Discussion in 'Scalloping, Lobstering, Crabbing, Claiming' started by bogman102, Oct 9, 2018.

1. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman
    Thread Started By

I have been too busy lately to get out and I have been less than enthusiastic with the results when I did go.
    I last went on 9-24-2018 in Oak Hill but only got three crabs in an hour and a half. I caught the incoming tide and thought I would do better. I did ake a water sample and the water is basically fresh! The temperature was also high at 88-89F! Crabs die at a water temperature of 91F so you know they are stressed and taking it easy either in the mud or in deeper water.
    The high afternoon temps have finally relented a bit and hopefully the crabs will respond as water temps drop.

Joseph Underwood likes this.
  2. AL KEARCE

AL KEARCE Carpenter

Thanks for the report and the useful info.

3. Johannes

Johannes Pirate

Thank you for the report. We are going to be back again in December. Hopefully then the crabs like the temperatures better!

4. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman
    Thread Started By

I gave crabbing another run down on the CNS and got skunked! I drove back north to Oak Hill and got 11 crabs in 3 hours. The sizes were not impressive only 5 to 5.75" and all but two were whiteys and light on meat. I think I'll give it another month or two before I try again.

This has been the worst crabbing year ever1

5. mak

mak Master Gunner

I threw a few small leftover mullet in our two traps next to the dock yesterday morning. Hadn’t had the traps out for over a month. Have 6 in the traps as of now. Hopefully now we can start eating crab again every week for a while.

6. Johannes

Johannes Pirate

That doesn’t sound very encouraging, guys. But I still keep fingers crossed for us!

Bogman, what method did you use - Chickenpieces on a string?

7. Johannes

Johannes Pirate

6 traps could produce some crabs. And if they do, you could make some deviled crabs out of it. So far I only read about it but it sound really delicious to me... Good luck!

8. mak

mak Master Gunner

To clarify, I have two traps soaking beside the dock and now have 8 crabs this morning.
    So looks like crabs for dinner tonight or I’ll toss them in the freezer as future drum bait.

9. Johannes

Johannes Pirate

Okay, so it was obviously far too early for me today to read and understand your post fully. :) Anyway, I hope you enjoy your crabs - and don't postpone them to future drum fishing.

10. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman
    Thread Started By

I use five ring traps with chicken necks or drumsticks.