1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Goodriches & South Causeway New Smyrna 7-20-2020

Discussion in 'Scalloping, Lobstering, Crabbing, Claiming' started by bogman102, Jul 21, 2020.

1. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman
    Thread Started By

I stopped at goodriches and there was a couple crabbing on the dock with about a half dozen small box traps. It was about 10 am and they said they had not had much luck with no keepers to show! While there they caught about a 4 inch crab and was released. They also said that a 3-4 foot Gator was trying to get the bait in their traps! They further stated that a very large Snapping Turtle was also trying to get the trap bait! That is the first time I have heard of a Snapper at that location.
    I next went to the south causeway dock under RT 44 in NSB to find a mom and her two children crabbing with a ring net and a pyramid trap crabbing. They had catght nothing! So the no crab saga continues!

2. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Interesting. Still none around our house either in Flagler.

3. skinnyhoops

skinnyhoops Pirate

hmmm idk if this is related but the local bait shops are having trouble finding shrimp lately.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but they are in the same family of crustaceans.

4. Jeepster

Jeepster Rigger

If Florida would stop allowing the harvest of female crabs I am sure we would see many more crabs.

5. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman
    Thread Started By

I am not sure. I have seen plenty of females by the north causeway in NSB over the last few years. This is something new and since the back to back hurricanes we had. They were followed by the Brown Tide Algae bloom and that wiped out the sea grasses and clams. I think that with the reduction of sea grasses there is nowhere for the juvenile shrimp and crabs to evade predation. The Reds are having a field day sucking them all up across the flats. I have seen plenty of two to four inch crabs caught off the piers in our area but very few are reaching reproductive (AKA eating) size.

6. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman
    Thread Started By

I have seen no one crabbing anywhere during August! I have not been out myself.

7. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman
    Thread Started By

I fina;;y found a crabber! Three actually under the south causeway on the wall by the fishing docks. They all said they had been there an hour or two. They only had six traps among them! One large pyramid trap, another had three small box traps and the last had a couple ring nets. They only had one female 4" crab among them. They said they were ready to release the crab they got and leave! The crab saga continues!

8. mak

I’ve had traps out in our canal since we got back last month. Only got one small one after soaking a week last month. This week I put them out again with scraps from my catch and only had two small ones after several days.
    None of the commercial guys even have traps out in the ICW, and I’m sure they were out this time last year.

9. Jeepster

Jeepster Rigger

Sad. If I see any on my next yak trip around Titusville I will report.

10. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman
    Thread Started By

Just read a report on another forum. A commercial crabber by Canaveral checked 120 traps the other day.
    He got 12 crabs! That doesn't cover the gas used!

11. mak

Dang! That’s crazy. I had one that wouldn’t let go of my cut mullet this morning. I guess I’ll try putting the traps out again late next week

12. Jeepster

Jeepster Rigger

This is serious. Pray for mother nature to come back like a lion and repair our barren waterways.

13. mak

I finally started catching some again up in Flagler. Put my fillet scraps out last week and got 8 nice ones to make crab cakes. I noticed this morning when I went out, that the local commercial crabber has set his traps out again along the Intracoastal by our house. Guess that means they should be back (from wherever they have been) in good numbers again now.

bogman102 and Bossman like this.
  14. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman
    Thread Started By

Thanks for the crab intel! Keeping my fingers crossed!

15. Jeepster

Jeepster Rigger

Great news. Love those crab cakes.

16. FLJNR

FLJNR Blackbeard

Wow. I had no idea the crabs were that scarce. Thanks for the info!

17. thegoschman

thegoschman Junior Member

Maybe now I can go out and catch a few bait crabs!!!!!