1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Goodriches & South Causeway New Smyrna 7-20-2020

Discussion in 'Scalloping, Lobstering, Crabbing, Claiming' started by bogman102, Jul 21, 2020.

1. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman
    Thread Started By

I stopped at goodriches and there was a couple crabbing on the dock with about a half dozen small box traps. It was about 10 am and they said they had not had much luck with no keepers to show! While there they caught about a 4 inch crab and was released. They also said that a 3-4 foot Gator was trying to get the bait in their traps! They further stated that a very large Snapping Turtle was also trying to get the trap bait! That is the first time I have heard of a Snapper at that location.
    I next went to the south causeway dock under RT 44 in NSB to find a mom and her two children crabbing with a ring net and a pyramid trap crabbing. They had catght nothing! So the no crab saga continues!

2. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Interesting. Still none around our house either in Flagler.

3. skinnyhoops

skinnyhoops Pirate

hmmm idk if this is related but the local bait shops are having trouble finding shrimp lately.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but they are in the same family of crustaceans.

4. Jeepster

Jeepster Able Bodied Sailor

If Florida would stop allowing the harvest of female crabs I am sure we would see many more crabs.

5. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman
    Thread Started By

I am not sure. I have seen plenty of females by the north causeway in NSB over the last few years. This is something new and since the back to back hurricanes we had. They were followed by the Brown Tide Algae bloom and that wiped out the sea grasses and clams. I think that with the reduction of sea grasses there is nowhere for the juvenile shrimp and crabs to evade predation. The Reds are having a field day sucking them all up across the flats. I have seen plenty of two to four inch crabs caught off the piers in our area but very few are reaching reproductive (AKA eating) size.