1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Getting Ready?

Discussion in 'Hunting - Trapping, Deer, Gator, Hog, Turkey' started by Rich M, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Rich M

Rich M Matey
    Thread Started By

The countdown is on for hunting. Bow season, ML, rifle...

Anyone getting ready?

I was invited to do an archery hunt at Toso - have to start practicing. Might need some new arrows, only have a handful left.

Also - trying to decide whether or not to swap out the scope on my deer rifle. The currently mounted scope is a VX-2, dialed at 300 yards. Have a VX-3i that I can/might put on there. It would need to get sighted. Not complicated but time & effort is involved...

Yes - better scope and a 3.5-10 as opposed to 3-9 but not much diff there.
    Plenty of time but, but, but.
    There is that old saying if it aint fixed, don't break it, errrr I mean if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Hoping to shoot the 06 on Sunday. Start now and go a few times so can hit what I shoot at in CO.
    Also want to shoot 357 mag rifle off bipod & bean bag - see how tight that thing actually does shoot.
    Then need to check the 243 at 250 yards. That's my backup gun for the trip. 243 with Barnes TSX bullets. Then stepson will use in GA.

Anyone else doing the preseason shuffle?
    I'd rather be fishing but, but, but. Sucks. Only a few calm weeks left before the September breezes start.

2. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

I’m ready to hit the woods as soon as I can. Unfortunately I’ll once again miss the beginning of bow season which is always the best time for me up her in the N GA mountains. Always harder for me later in the season as they get skittish, etc. I can’t remember what was going on last year but I was late then too and for the first time in years I didn’t get one with an arrow. This year we will be in the middle of a Cruise for my wife when the season starts in GA... Bow season starts Sept 14 and we won’t be back and able to get up there until about the 25th. I’ll be using my crossbow this year since I didn’t practice with my bow enough to feel good about it. Have been working on the restoration of my old truck this past month and should have taken some time each day to shoot.
    The hurricane that passed through south GA last year decimated my friends farm so we didn’t get any hunting in down there at all. Looking forward to seeing him and getting in some hunting there. Much larger and more deer than I have up here on our property. We usually all get together there first for the last couple days of muzzleloader and the first couple days of firearm season.
    I’ve had a Leupold VXiii 3.5-10 on my Browning Stainless A-bolt 270 since I bought it new over 30 years ago. Had to run all over north Ga that year “hunting” for a gun store that had one of the first/new stainless rifles. I’ve got several other rifles now but that is still my old reliable.
    A few months ago I refinished and completed a half-assed build the previous owner had attempted on a flintlock Kit. Picked it up for $25.00. Spent a good amount of time refitting the stock and browning the barrel. I’m anxious to give it a try with a flintlock. I’ve taken many with a traditional percussion “plains rifle” and also a modern in-line when the weather is bad. However, never tried with a flintlock where you have that lag time between trigger pull and the bang...
    I’m always afraid to start swapping scopes or dialing in new loads right before the season starts but a few weeks is plenty of time to get it right and get comfortable.
    What load are you going to be using in Colorado? Do you use factory or handloaded ammo?

3. Rich M

Rich M Matey
    Thread Started By

You are a busy one!

I prefer crossbow over vertical bow - the lack of movement is key for me. Less movement means less sounds I can't hear.

Haven't shot a deer with a ML ever. Missed a few back in the day.

Gonna be shooting 150 gr core lokts! Shhhhh Smiley Emoticon1::11

Got a good deal and bought enough to get me through the refinement/practice sessions and possibly for the hunt. I don't think there are any mule deer or whitetails that can shrug off a 150 gr soft point in the ribs. Will see how the core lockts group at 250 and go from there.

4. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Well I've got to say that I've been getting ready for the last 5 months. And have just about gone broke doing it this year anytime I went to the woods I carried something else down there. This year I bought 2 additional 350 lbs. gravity protein feeders a cell deer camera, and have been running soybeans in 3 different gravity feeders since April. On the average I'm feeding 100 lbs. a week at each feeder, and getting anywhere from 500-1,500 pictures at each per week. I have seen hogs at one feeder a couple a of times and coons at another feeder but I've started taking them out. Sadly enough I haven't seen any big bucks at these locations just yet but when the rut gets right they will be looking for the ladies. I've also laid eyes on a really nice racked buck that I will be hunting because he is one of the biggest bucks that I've seen in this club. Two week ago myself and another guy started filling and running the rest of the club feeders. We also started setting some of the hog traps to catch and cut some of the boars. Plus I've been trying to put in for quotas. So I'd say yeah I've been at it just a little bit.

Rich M likes this.
  5. mak

You’ve been working hard at it bossman. I used t9 put corn out a while before my parents would come visit because they liked to watch the deer. Had to give that up though because of all the bears.
    What kind of cell game camera did you get and what does that cost you per month?

Bossman likes this.
  6. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

It is a newer camera called "Exodus" They company that has come out selling cameras that are made to last longer than a year or two. They have what they call a 5 year no BS warranty and they stand behind it very well. As far as cost per month you get a Verizon data plan that cost $10 and it could go up from there depends on how many pictures you download. Most people say they never go over $15 a month.

mak likes this.
  7. mak

Great. Thanks for the info. I’ll check in to those. My biggest problem is lack of signal in most areas and at most times on our land...

8. Rich M

Rich M Matey
    Thread Started By

Boss, you been busy. I go back and forth on the feeding stations, mainly cost concerns.

A lot of folks I know went cellular this year - hoping it works well for you.

IMG_20190818_163207_01.jpg
    My first time back behind the rifle since last October deer hunting. 8 inch target, 225 yards off a picnic table. Not happy with Mr 5 o'clock there but should improve over the next couple trips to the range.

The 3 touching are right where my antelope loads were hitting in 2017.

So far the Remington ammo is looking promising. Next couple of range trips will tell if the fliers were me or the ammo. I'm betting on it being me.

9. mak

Always blame the ammo:rolleyes:
    Some of my rifles are exceptionally sensitive to barrel heat. I’ve found that even though perfectly floated, by the time I get to that 3rd or 4th successive shot it will start spraying them all over the place. If I make myself wait a long cool-down period in between each shot they will stay in tight.

10. Rich M

Rich M Matey
    Thread Started By

Agree with the heat. Usually try to shoot 3 and then set it in the shade. When prepping for antelope, had a battery fan blowing on it. Might do that again.

11. Rich M

Rich M Matey
    Thread Started By

Got out shooting again.

So, was trying corelokts VS 4 varieties of home loads.

And 2 varieties of 243.

Long story short, 2 homeloads beat the socks off the corelokts. The groups at 100 were cutting holes and were 1.5 to 2 inches at 200 w homeloads. I'm not shooting propane nor is there a formal shooting branch with a spot to rest your arm/elbow.

So, best shooter seems to be 165 gr at x length. The 150 gr at x length was 2nd best shooter.

Essentially the core lokts are .1 shorter than the 165s and .05 shorter than the 150s. Makes a big diff in my rifle.

I tried some Accubonds at 2 lengths and not so good. Sierra game pro 150s and nosler partition 165s.

Gonna fish next weekend, range time is a maybe. Will see if can fit it in.

mak likes this.
  12. Rich M

Rich M Matey
    Thread Started By

The 100 gr federal blue box 243 out shot an 85 gr monolithic federal bullet. The 85 gr hit about 8 to 10 inches higher but didn't group as well.

Done w that one. 243 has been mastered and will be shot a couple times to foul the barrel as I used some Sweets 762 on it and got rid of a little copper this afternoon. Good backup gun.

13. mak

Most people that don’t do a lot of shooting never realize how much of a huge difference you can get with accuracy and group size and impact point from one cartridge and load to another. Some guns are fussier than others but there will always be a difference. I used to spend a lot of time and really have fun playing with various bullet designs, weights and powders, and keeping logs to try and find the most accurate handload. The one variable that seems to make the biggest difference for me with bolt and single shot actions was getting that OAL so the bullet was just a thousandth from touching the lands. Of course when you do that you have to make sure you don’t mix your cartridges and use them in the wrong rifle...
    Sounds like you have spent a lot of time so far experimenting and getting it dialed in. I hope you get the shot you are looking for this season. Always makes me cringe when I hear about or see the guys buying a new box of shells to use the next day or without even test firing prior to the hunt. The Nosler ballistic tip has always been one of my favorites but I know the partition is probably a better choice and has a better reputation for game larger than whitetail.

14. Rich M

Rich M Matey
    Thread Started By

You nailed that one Mak.

0.001 is where it is at and differs based on the ogive of any specific bullet.

mak likes this.