1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Fresh Water Shrimping?

Discussion in 'Shrimping Chatter = Anything To Do With Shrimping' started by mamazoo, Oct 13, 2018.

1. mamazoo

mamazoo Greenhorn
    Thread Started By

We heard that you an actually shrimp in and near the St Johns river and lakes. Is this a thing? Sorry to be so green but I am a native and actually have never heard of this. I grew up saltwater fishing and not a huge fan of fresh water fishing, mostly because I am not good at it. If you can shrimp in fresh water I might actually be more interested...

2. ace250xr84

ace250xr84 Newbie

man I was hoping to see some comments

3. Love2Fish

Love2Fish Petty Officer

Yes, you can. From St. George lake to the ocean at Jacksonville you can catch shrimp in the late summer to early fall. The water is salt to mixed salt and fresh. Favorite spots are Palatka and Green Cove Spring, also downtown Jacksonville. The area holds brown shrimp. Cast netting is the way to pick them up.

4. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Matey

Definitely possible. I saw a guy last year doing it with his cast net up in Jacksonville out near the big curve in the St Johns just before it empties in the ocean. Huguenot Park He was catching a ton of big ones but it depends if they are running.

5. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

It's kind of odd because I normally hear people talking about netting shrimp in Palatka and Green Cove Springs during the summer months. But this year I haven't heard much at all about it. I will have to try to check into it and see if I can find out any updates.

6. learjet3

learjet3 Pirate

Last year I saw a boat full of guys killing Specks on lake Woodruff, they were using grass shrimp that they said they caught that morning. I was using minnows I bought that morning and caught nothing. I researched catching grass shrimp a little bit after that and didn't learn much.

7. Love2Fish

Love2Fish Petty Officer

I use to catch grass shrimp in lake Monroe. Put them in my aquarium.

8. learjet3

learjet3 Pirate

Care to share how you did that?