1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Food Plot Question

Discussion in 'Hunting - Trapping, Deer, Gator, Hog, Turkey' started by Rich M, Aug 2, 2020 at 2:19 PM.

1. Rich M

Rich M Buccaneer
    Thread Started By

Gonna break my personal rule about nonrifle hunting and do some xbow hunting in GA this fall.

Figuring to get the 4 wheeler running again and setting stands and anting some small food plots the end of August.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what to plant? Cheap is good as these will be archery size plots on dirt roads at known crossings.

Good chance lease guy will plow em under late in Sept when he does the whole place (every road gets plowed and planted).

Bossman and Nautical Gator like this.
  2. Rich M

Rich M Buccaneer
    Thread Started By

Was told not to plant, typically too dry or the deer eat it up too quickly.

Gonna have to do the other kind of food plot...

Nautical Gator likes this.
  3. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

4. Rich M

Rich M Buccaneer
    Thread Started By

Thanks, Sam.

Is Tony running hemp again?

Anything I plant will get mowed under the end of Sept/beginning of Oct when the lease holder plants the lease.

There are a couple low lying areas where I need to drag my stands in by 4 wheeler anyway... have a groundhog max and it works pretty well for small plots.

Might just be damp enough at those spots to plant and expect germination. Season starts Sept 12... May be able to plant some clay peas and rye or wheat Labor day weekend and hunt it the following weekend - once those peas germinate, won't be much to keep the deer from trimming the sprouts off. If they germinate, could be perfect timing. Figure they will germinate in 4 or 5 days and then gets eaten to the ground in say 3 days which would bring the deer by for opening weekend. Or at least have em looking down for the yellow gold.

If I was gonna plant some kind of grass - what would work best? Any ideas?

Seems like a summer mix would work...

5. Nautical Gator

I would give Hancock a call and ask what would be best.

you will want a plant that the deer will eat as growing, some plants the deer do not eat till is gets ripe / sweetened.

Rich M likes this.
  6. Rich M

Rich M Buccaneer
    Thread Started By

https://hancockseed.com/collections...cocks-ultimate-deer-food-plot-seed-mix-spring

I ordered the spring mix w Lab-lab, clay peas, soy beans. sorghum, & hemp. Walked away at $50/shipped. Been a while since bought seeds - seems pricey - but it was 1/2 of the 50# of clay peas I saw, shipping pushed it from $30 to $50.

Now, gotta get 4 wheeler functional (needs a gas tank cleaning & new carb cause it's been about 2 or 3 years since last use and that's what was needed last time.)

Then trying to get my wife to agree to go up and help. She truly enjoys riding that thing and using the groundhog max to tear up the ground. She says it is instant gratification seeing the dirt exposed and flying all over the place. Use a Scotty's Whiz battery powered seed spreader a bit and then buzz the GHMax around some more, follow it up with riding back and forth to pack the soil. She loves it - kills me to ride like that (buzzing around in circles isn't my idea of fun).

May actually water the plots if can get water - there is a possible source, just need to figure how to lug enough water and spread it (garbage cans in back of truck would work great - use generator & sump pump to fill GCs if we have or can create a surficial water source). Would have no problem spending a couple hours watering a handful of 100 ft x 10 ft "plots" (roads) - maybe do it late in the afternoon on Saturday and Sunday so water can soak in overnight. Then just hope for a little rain during the week but with only about 7 days til hunting, all we need is the peas to sprout so they can clip em off at 2 or 3 inches tall... That would get em using the area more, then could spread some corn and 'choot em if the wind is right.

Could probably just use corn and will do that in a few areas - have like 13 possible stand sites that will either get plots or 1/2 bag of corn spread about the weekend before the season opens. Have a couple cameras and maybe get a decent buck before the lease holder this year. Otherwise I want to be marking "my spot" for the long weekend rut hunt end of October. We have 4 guys on lease, 2 are light duty hunters but we were clear cut last year and my stands are in the stuff where they didn't cut. Always enjoyed walking a mile in not to spook anything and often seen a bunch of deer...

6 weeks to go.

Gotta get out fishing some too. Should be interesting.

7. Nautical Gator

Yeah but not all seeds are the same, there mix sprouts fast and produces good yields...

take some pics.
    seal and store seeds in dark cool place...

Good luck

Rich M likes this.
  8. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Yes Rich I'm Hemping it again. I'm sold on that stuff because the deer can't leave it alone. I've planted just one plot so far and plan on planting 3-4 more. Sam, has been after me to get back down and get an update picture of the growth of the plot but I've been so busy here at work I haven't got back down to the woods yet. I'm looking to buy another 350 lbs. of hemp from Handcock seed soon.

20200719_161600.jpg

9. Rich M

Rich M Buccaneer
    Thread Started By

Thanks, Tony. That's a great testamonial for the hemp.

I'll try to keep an eye on what I plant, how it starts and how the deer like it.

Bossman likes this.
  10. Rich M

Rich M Buccaneer
    Thread Started By

Update!

They started logging the final 100 acres of the lease.

Gonna chew on this a bit, see what can be done.

11. Nautical Gator

just before hunting time... gzzz