1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Flunking In Nj . Summer Flounder To My Fellow Southern Fishers.

Discussion in 'Out of State Fishing Reports' started by NJbasser, Sep 12, 2019.

1. NJbasser

NJbasser Pirate in the making
    Thread Started By

Time of the year for the fluke to be leaving Barnegat Bay but there is a lot of catching left to do . Went out 2 days ago and limited out with a buddy . Yesterday Mother Nature screw us up with a lot of wind opposite of drift . Caught some nice fish but only 1 keeper. Hope to get back out next week before season ends.

2. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Down here I think the best bait Inshore is mud minnows or finger mullet although shrimp drug along bottom works too. What is the bait of choice up that way?

3. Up north the bait of choice is spearing and a squid strip or killies which look just like mud minnows. Also a lot of peeps jig using gulp.

mak likes this.
  4. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

http://www.shrimpnfishflorida.com/forums/threads/flounder-fishing-with-artificials.57/

http://www.shrimpnfishflorida.com/forums/threads/tip-of-the-day-2015-flattie-fishing.90/

shrimpmansteve likes this.
  5. Nice detailed posts to read if you like catching those flat bastids

6. NJbasser

Thread Started By

I fish the bay so I use jig heads with squid bodies or fluke hooks tipped with live peanut bunker or fresh spearing or a variation of these. Jigging works best for me.

7. NJbasser

Thread Started By

Nautical Gator did I say flunking in NJ? It is if you don’t catch anything! Lol

8. I’m going up north this weekend to fluke Montauk

9. Rich M

Rich M Mate

Cousin of mine up north has his boat in a marina... fellow he knows just caught a 38 inch, 11 pound fluke in Long Island Sound. I can't get my head around one that long. Maybe he fat fingered the number and it was 28 inches long.

A 32 inch striper is 10-12 pounds. Maybe a 28 inch fluke is around 11 pounds?

10. It all depends on the girth of the fish. There was a 17 pounder caught in Montauk. I’m in Montauk now by the way. The 17 pounder was 34 inches but unbelievably thick

11. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

back north I always used Attractor Spinner Blades in front of my hook with live killies, caught all my killies in water runoffs at the beach. works well down here as well.

12. Rich M

Rich M Mate

I always preferred a double hook rig with one high, one low - 4-6 inch squid or fish belly strips. Always raising & lowering it.

13. NJbasser

Thread Started By

Sorry took so long on responding been traveling a lot. Now in New Mexico but about the Montauk fluke , I’ve heard of some giant fluke up there and have receive fillets from said fluke. Got to tell you fillet texture and taste different to South Jersey fluke. A lot like halibut. As far as rigs mention above I use both types plus jig heads and buck tails.