1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Good To Know Fishing Equipment To Have Onboard

Discussion in 'Boat Supply, Boat Parts, Boat Information etc…' started by Nautical Gator, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member
    Thread Started By

Fishing equipment to have onboard

For Fishing I like to have on-board

Fully charged Interstate batteries
    USCG Safety Kit
    VHF marine radio
    bright Spotlight
    Warm water proof jacket
    Sleeping bag and pillow, just in case I want to take a nap, and fish in the AM... No need to go home and back out...
    drinks
    munchies
    Cooler
    two anchors
    fishing poles and gear...
    Cast Net to catch live bait fish...
    Live Bait
    Artificial bait
    Frozen bait
    full tank of gas
    fishing license
    Ruler, camera, and GoPro video camera
    Rain Gear is a must have...
    Towels
    TP / Toilet paper is a must have!!! it is better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it!!!
    change of clothes... etc...
    Everything is in baggies and water proof carrying bags...
    cap/hat
    good pair of polarized sunglasses
    First aid kit
    Sunscreen
    First aid kit with Betadine in it. (See Why Here)

Additional stuff for my offshore...
    on my offshore, I have two large first aid kits...
    and USCG Safety Kit, ACR GlobalFix Automatic EPIRB, Ditch Bag, good VHF marine radio...

Thanks

Sam

Rocky1789 and Shrimp Gritter like this.
  2. fishingfool

fishingfool Lieutenant

Sam - if I could add my two cents:

Most fishermen wear a cap/hat and sunglasses but some don't. A cap and GOOD sunglasses are a must!
    First aid kit
    Sunscreen

3. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

Yep, I always have those on-board, just forgot to list them...

on my offshore, I have two large first aid kits...
    and USCG Safety Kit, ACR GlobalFix Automatic EPIRB, Ditch Bag, good VHF marine radio...

Thanks

Sam

4. Earl

Earl Powder Monkey

I will add this to my list
    Thanks Sam

5. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

Wrap It: Rescue Tape
    yellow-tape.jpg
    I've had an engine-cooling hose burst while underway. It's not pretty. When I opened the engine-compartment hatch, water — under pressure from the engine's circulating pump — was spraying from a gash in the hose all over the engine compartment. The boat in question was a twin-engine cabin cruiser, so the solution was to shut down the port engine and continue on one engine. But if I'd had Rescue Tape aboard, I could've wrapped up the busted hose and been back underway at normal speed.

Rescue tape is self-amalgamating silicone. It comes with clear backing that you have to peel back as you go. To repair a leak, stretch and wrap the tape over the hose and itself, overlapping each wrap by about half. Don't be shy on the stretching — the tighter you pull the wraps, the better the seal. Using the tape to cover an extra few inches on either side of the leak should allow you to seal just about any leaking hose or pipe in an emergency, even high-pressure hydraulic lines. However do read the packaging for limitations, such as for common rail pipes or pipes from injector pumps to injectors. For $10 to $12 per roll, this tape is cheap insurance.

6. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

DESCRIPTION
    Introducing the Emergency Plug Floating Key Ring, the TruPlug Mini! Your TruPlug Mini is a soft shaped plug designed to conform to the shape of your vessel’s purge valve hole or through hull. TruPlug Mini Adapts to slow or stop leaks. Its unique shape allows it be compressed by hand so it fits into holes to stop intrusion of water. This is your true stop-gap solution for **emergency leaks.

• Floating Key Chain, Highly visible, pops out and floats when dropped into the water
    • Will Slow or Stop Leaks
    • Soft Cone Conforms to Any Shape
    • Best Temporary Plug for Through-Hull or Impact Breach
    • For holes larger than1 ¾” use the standard full size TruPlug.

https://www.truplug.com/

DESCRIPTION
    • A 2″ hole in your boat, one foot below the waterline would fill a 55 gallon drum in as little as 40 seconds! Many bilge pumps would be quickly overwhelmed. Stopping the water flow is the key! TruPlug is used as a temporary or emergency plug in boating applications where water would enter a circular, oval, or irregular hole caused by emergency maintenance or hull breach due to impact. Truplug is compressed by hand, inserted into the hole stopping or reducing the inward flow of water as the foam returns to its original shape.

TruPlug can be used in place of wood plugs without causing additional
    damage.

• Can be cut and forced into elongated openings using a putty knife or similar tool.

• Can be inserted into the ends of broken pipes by twist compressing before inserting.

• A must have in every vessel damage control kit!

TruPlug Could Save You and Your Boat Simply By Plugging That Unexpected Hole in the Water!

APtravelnews-New Product Review-April 11th, Port St. Lucie, FL-Bob and Barb “On The Water Again.”-Yes, during my daily boating adventures when I lived on the water in the Keys, I wish I had one or more of these new TruPlug units. Soft, pliable, but very, very strong, it can be jammed into a hole or crack in your boat to stop the leakage caused by the damage.

Writing this, due to the fact that about every boater at one time or another has run over something that causes a breach in the bottom or side skin of their boat. An impact breach, like getting hit by the bow of another boat, or hitting a piling, can be devastating, but these floating units can save the day by inserting, pushing & twisting it into the breach, or through hull hole!

This item is a soft, cone shaped plug, designed to conform to the irregular and unpredictable shapes of a hull breach or a round hole too! For an emergency, you should have a few in your boat! The unit is a true stop-gap solution for an emergency leak. The item is a tapered 9-high by 5-inch wide at the base life saver, in our opinion! They also have a very neat smaller TruPlug unit suitable as a key chain that also floats. If you lost your hull water plug, this will work, if you need a plug for your bait box drain, you got it! A great temporary plug, anytime its needed! Go: www.truplug.com

A MUST READ
    Crash Test Boat – Broken seacock
    http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/sailing-skills/crash-test-boat-broken-seacock-29540

7. Cobia300

Cobia300 Powder Monkey

I've never heard about rescue tape. Where can you find it, Sam?

8. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

9. Cobia300

Cobia300 Powder Monkey

10. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

FORESPAR
    Sta-Plug® Emergency Plug

Sta-Plug™ is Forespar’s new form fitting emergency plug. A soft cone shaped design allows it to easily fill the irregular shapes of hull impact breaches, as well as any round hole leak from a hose or through-hull. Unique edge gripping riblets help hold the plug in a hole, keeping water out. The riblets help Sta-Plug™ conform to the shape of the hole, sealing a leak near the edge where a tight fit is crucial, and holding the plug more securely in place. Different by design, Sta-Plug’s™ shape includes a series of concentrically larger riblets stepped along the length of the cone. These riblets offer two big advantages over traditional straight edged emergency plugs:

• They help Sta-Plug™ conform to the hole near the edge where a tight fit is most crucial.
      • They help hold it more securely in place.
      • Twist and compress by hand to insert into hole.
      • Expands after insertion to hold in place.
    Intended for temporary emergency use with continuous monitoring only, it gives the skipper greater peace-of-mind to allow them to focus on getting the boat to safety.

Made from high density foam, Sta-Plug™ will remain soft and ready to go for years and will not mold or swell up like conventional wood plugs.

• Can be cut with a knife to use in irregular shaped holes, or torn by hand near the riblets to make smaller diameter plugs for smaller holes. Tearing at the 8th riblet creates a plug with a 2” diameter base.
      • Made from high density foam that is not susceptible to mold or swelling.
      • Bright orange color allows it to be quickly located in an emergency.
      • Dimensions: 9” High x 5” Diameter at base
      • Made right here in the USA.
      • NOT FOR FUEL LEAKS
    Available at Amazon
    sta-plug-package.jpg
    TruPlug Mini!
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BFWXT3...um-20&linkId=dbced80e8bd66ccd40e2b956fc78be49

The Original TruPLug
    https://www.amazon.com/TP101-The-Or...um-20&linkId=3fb299cccf7db08e7cb38306b62d2d9e

Forespar TruPlug

This hi-tech bung has a smooth, waterproof exterior and a malleable, closed-cell polyurethane foam interior. It’s quite a size, about 23x12cm (9x5in), but weighs just 110g (4oz). That means it can plug holes of up to 10cm (4in) and it’s light enough not to fall out in a seaway.

LR5140-CTB-Seacocks-GS.jpg
    The closed-cell foam TruPlug inserts using a squeezing, twisting and pushing action

Rather than just plugging into the pipe, you are supposed to grip the cone with one hand, the base with the other, and twist it in.

LR5145-CTB-Seacocks-GS.jpg
    With a damaged log pipe, the TruPlug formed a perfect seal and stopped the leak completely

It formed a perfect seal with the damaged log pipe, stopping ingress completely.

LR5202-CTB-Seacocks-GS.jpg
    With the fitting knocked away the TruPlug also formed a perfect seal, stopping the leak

With the log pipe knocked out to hull level, it was also a perfect fit.

LR5319-CTB-Seacocks-GS.jpg
    A perfect seal in the cracked tailpipe, but TruPlug is very big

With the broken seacock tail pipe, the TruPlug again made a perfect seal but its size and the confines of the space meant pushing it into place took a moment longer than it might have. It’s worth noting that the manufacturers suggest slicing the TruPlug to deal with hull splits so, if the space was seriously confined, we could have sliced its nose off and pushed that into the seacock. It sealed each leak perfectly and, like a bung, there’s very little that can go wrong with it, so it’s well suited to this task. The only issue, again, is the size. Stowing two TruPlugs would take up considerably more space than two soft wood bungs, and they’re about £20 each, twice the price you’d pay for a bag of assorted soft wood bungs.

Read more at http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/sail...boat-broken-seacock-29540#YWWEaJfR0v9xHkGL.99

11. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

12. Seafood lover

Seafood lover Greenhorn

I learn something everyday, rescue tape I'll be ordering some from Amazon today along with my new projector.