1. Guest, we are counting on you to become an actively participating member by engaging in our clubs forum discussions? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

First Haul Of Oyster's From Edgewater 12/23/18

Discussion in 'Scalloping, Lobstering, Crabbing, Claiming' started by Bert, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Bert

Bert Greenhorn
    Thread Started By

Went out to play just before Christmas. Oysters have fat and not clear. Most were 3 to 4 inches but there were a few 5+ inches

oysters.jpg

2. mak

mak Deckhand

Looks like a nice pile of oysters, and a lot of work once you get home.
    That’s something I know nothing about but you’ve peaked my interest. I’ll have to do some searching and looking a videos later to see how that’s done.

Bert likes this.
  3. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman

I was just thinking about getting out there for some myself.
    Last time I was out I got 3/4 of one bucket and my back let me know I had enough!
    Have you ever tried shucking and then freezing the meat? How long will it last frozen?
    Thanks for the report!

Bert likes this.
  4. Karl B

Karl B Rigger

Thanks for reporting. I am sure it was a lot of work, and you need to enjoy each little morsel of those goodies. Oyster Po Boys, my favorite when I worked in New Orleans.

Bert likes this.
  5. JBF

JBF Treasure Hunter

Nice pic but where were you?

Bert likes this.
  6. Bert

Bert Greenhorn
    Thread Started By

I was just north of blue hole. In Edgewater. Working on unposted beds.

7. Bert

Bert Greenhorn
    Thread Started By

Bog man 102. yes freezing works when I freeze any kind of seafood I don't let it sit for over 6 months that's my rule. But I'm sure it would last longer just make sure you freeze the oysters in their own juice.

8. Bert

Bert Greenhorn
    Thread Started By

Mak. Videos of great but it's better Hands on, it takes a lot of practice if you've never shocked at all, you will butcher quite a few before you get it right. As to oyster knives, can't help you there. I make my own out of half inch to 3/4 rebar

9. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

Quote Multiple Text Over Multiple Pages To Be Selected And Quoted In A Single Reply
    http://www.shrimpnfishflorida.com/f...-selected-and-quoted-in-a-single-reply.10605/

10. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman

Here is a picture of an Oyster I got in about 20 feet of water off the CT coast compared with a Florida Oyster from also from the Blue Hole area in Edgewater.
    We had Blue Point Oysters off CT but all weren't this big! Most were in the 5 inch size. They tasted similar to Florida Oysters. I can't tell the difference.
    I was in Boulder Colorado and they had an Oyster bar there with Oysters from all over the world. They even had an Oyster menu describing the individual Oyster differences. It read like a wine menu!

CT vs FL Oyster.jpg

11. jj1987

jj1987 Pirate

Nice haul, but man they're a lot of work :(

12. Bert

Bert Greenhorn
    Thread Started By

We use to get them that big down in Indian River County back in the 70's but due to human influence and pollution run off not any more.

13. famous82

famous82 Pirate in the making

Nice haul, looks like it was a lot of work but worth it.

Bert likes this.
  14. JBF

JBF Treasure Hunter

Each oyster filters almost 50 gallons of water per day. Tat ain’t nothing. But, they sure do taste good.

Bert likes this.