1. Guest, You can Become a Star Member... did you know that our Clubs Forums operating expenses are primarily paid by the generous contributions of members - We hope you enjoy our forum and become a forum supporter today!... Guest, if you would like to give back and help support your club, Click here and Become a Star Member!
Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Final Fishing Days 11-8/11-9-17

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports (R)' started by Nocatfish, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Nocatfish

Nocatfish Swabbie
    Thread Started By

Final couple of days here in Venice, Fla. Wednesday we returned for more inshore fishing in Englewood, just south of here. Another dead calm day and we started out fishing the flats of Lemon Bay. Unfortunately, the results were not the same as 2 days earlier. Definetly not as much bait in the area, resulting in much less fish activity.
    We moved all around the bay, but only managed to catch around 7-8 trout and not much else. However Robbie pulled out a chunky 23 incher on a topwater plug, while I caught a 21 incher on a Mirrorlure MR19. That was pretty much it, as it really heated up in the early afternoon and what little action we had died completely.
    Thursday we took the big boat out Venice inlet to try again for some Grouper and maybe an Amberjack or 2. Seas were dead flat, and I mean dead flat, making for a very pleasant run out 28 miles to a natural bottom ridge in 78 feet of water. I had expected to see alot of activity on the surface...bait, diving birds, etc., but we saw almost nothing. We drifted fished using cut bait and squid on the bottom and freelined some pinfish out the back. Unfortunately we had very little action on the bottom as well. Crunchman pulled a 5 foot Nurse Shark off the bottom, along with an estimated 20lb. Amberjack, that was caught using of all things, a jumbo live shrimp! Other than that we managed a few very small Red Grouper and Gags.
    We moved back in a few miles and checked out a couple other spots, but it was the same story...very little action. A couple of small bonitos and Robbie snagged a decent size Spanish on a livie. At our last stop I did entice a 6 foot Tiger Shark to grab a freelined grunt that I tossed to him, resulting on a short but intense fight that ended with him biting through the 80lb flouro leader. Man those guys are fast and strong!
    We stayed out until around 3pm, returning to the inlet on some of the flattest seas I have ever seen. You virtually could have skipped stones 28 miles out there in the gulf. It really made me jealous of the boating conditions on the west coast.
    Anyway, our trip is over and we had a great time...lots of nice fish and absolutely fantastic weather. I would definetly recomend the Venice area to anyone considering a fishing vacation and we plan t 20171108_130642.jpg 20171107_114010_HDR.jpg 20171109_100534.jpg o go back again soon.
    Thanks for reading.

robthetimekeeper, Cbird and mkyota1 like this.
  2. mkyota1

mkyota1 Rigger

This post is hidden to guests.
    To view this post, please log in.
    If you are not a member, you will need to sign up.
    To ShrimpNFishFlorida™ Fishing Forums. Thanks.

3. Cbird

Cbird Able Bodied Sailor

4. ORLANDOFLORIDA

ORLANDOFLORIDA Blackbeard

5. Nocatfish

Nocatfish Swabbie
    Thread Started By

mkyota1 likes this.
  6. lobsterman

lobsterman Seaman Recruit

7. Nocatfish

Nocatfish Swabbie
    Thread Started By

mkyota1 likes this.
  8. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

9. Ken Boone

Ken Boone Senior Forum Member

10. Cbird

Cbird Able Bodied Sailor

11. AL KEARCE

AL KEARCE Boatswain