1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Ez Bluefish Cook That's Great

Discussion in 'FISH and SHRIMP Preparation' started by jim graves, Nov 21, 2016.

1. jim graves

jim graves Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

Hi everyone ! Bluefish get snubbed as table fare by many Floridians. This is crazy in my opinion. They're on restaurant's menus in Mass. It doesn't get any easier than the following. Bleed the fish right after catching. If I'm eating them I chop off the entire head right at the back of the gills and even hit the rear gills some.They bleed profusely at 1st but it's under 30 seconds. When I reach home I usually already have the fish filleted boneless and skinless. I don't worry about bloodlines this that & the other & on occasion will leave the ribbones in if I didn't keep for future cut bait.As I prepare the egg mixture for getting the cornmeal to stick I spray the fish with fresh lemon juice.In my opinion no marinade is needed if this step is taken or any elaborate overnight preparation. I season the fine grain cornmeal with sea or pink salt,pepper and any other spices I feel like at the time. Good salt is very important. If you haven't switched to pink or sea salt yet once you do you'll never go back to regular table salt. Get the fish good and wet with the egg mixture (1 or 2 eggs with a splash of milk or cream) and get the coating on both sides of the fillet. Drop them into a preheated fairly hot saucepan with good olive oil and cook until light or dark brown depending on your preference. I think right in the middle of the 2 is best or err on the light brown side since overcooked fish is lousy. Put it on a plate with some paper towel if there is excess oil. Olive oil is a good choice imo because it's actually good for you if you don't overdo it.Taste & season as needed. If you did a good job seasoning the cornmeal nothing should be needed except tarter sauce or cocktail sauce. I've cooked multiple types of fish this way at the same time and ask the persnickity eaters which is the bluefish & they can't tell ! What you don't want throw back please since I'll eat it ! jimmyg

2. Alps

Alps Swashbuckler

Hope you manage to catch my throwbacks (and long-distance releases), because they'll feed at least a couple! ha
    Hey, good recipe here, thanks. And I learned a thing or two or three. Thanks for taking the time, and giving some credit to this somewhat-maligned fish (and I'm guilty! But I'll attest to their fight!).
    Cheers.

3. slaysled

slaysled Treasure Hunter

I'll eat the crabs they catch as bait.Good Kingfish bait also.

4. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

Yup thats me LOL

Great Recipe3.jpg

paleoman likes this.
  5. Shrimp Gritter

Shrimp Gritter Seaman apprentice

I totally agree, have tabled most I've caught. Good post. Reminded me of when once upon at time I prepared some wild hog pork chops with some store bought, on the bbq grill, for some folks that were convinced that wouldn't like the taste of wild pork. After we finished our meal I asked them how they liked the chops, to which they answered "very good", I then asked which ones were store and which was wild. They never turned wild pork afterwards.

Ken Boone likes this.
  6. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman

I like small Bluefish myself! Justbe sure to keep them on ice after catching them!
    For cooking I just bake them with lemon...lots of lemon!
    Or I just make a 50 - 50 mix of cornmeal and AP flour. After frying a light dusting of salt on the fish. Bigger Bluefish I put in the smoker.
    I miss Shake & Bake for fish! On Bluefish it was great!

7. fishingfool

fishingfool Lieutenant

Be careful chopping those heads. The man will get you!

68B-43.003 Size Limit; Landed in Whole Condition Requirement.
    (1) Size Limit – A person may not harvest or possess within or without Florida Waters or land a bluefish that is less than 12 inches in fork length.
    (2) Landed in Whole Condition Requirement – A person harvesting bluefish within or without Florida Waters shall land each bluefish in whole condition. A person may not possess within or without Florida Waters a bluefish that has been beheaded, sliced, divided, filleted, ground, skinned, scaled, or deboned. This provision will not be construed to prohibit evisceration (gutting) of a bluefish, or removal of gills from a bluefish.