1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Epirb Or Sat Phone?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chatter = anything to do with fishing' started by William OBrien, May 30, 2019.

1. William OBrien

William OBrien Treasure Hunter
    Fishing Chatter

Since I have been venturing offshore more and more with one engine I am looking for an added form of safety.
    Which one should I get?
    Epirb seems better in case I ever sank, nothing like trying to use a wet phone.
    it came across my mind the other day when someone was commenting on those two kids from stuart that got swept out to sea

any thoughts?

2. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

I don’t have an offshore boat. The guys here that do fish offshore will give a more informed answer. I’ll be interested to hear what the6 have to say.
    That said, if I did buy a new boat and start fishing offshore I would have an EPIRB. Seems like cheap peace of mind compared to the cost of all my other gear. Heck, knowing my luck with mechanical issues I would probably also have a Sat phone in the wings...

3. William OBrien

Fishing Chatter

I also found a gps device that you can text with and it gives position every 10/30/60 min that is availabe to view on a computer.
    29 bucks a month unlimited communication. I might just go with that one.
    staying in touch with the gang when I am 40 off would be nice.

4. EPIRB is automated. Get wet send signal. As far as safety I would think EPIRB.

But it is nice to communicate from 40 off as well.

5. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

(see Link)
    http://www.shrimpnfishflorida.com/forums/threads/acr-globalfix-v4-gps-epirb-category-2-2831.7695/

6. Gullymania

Gullymania Pirate in the making

I go with epirb for rescue and sat phone for communication.

7. Volleybum

Volleybum Treasure Hunter

To me; it's really a no brainer, you should have both onboard. Safety should always be your number one priority as you never know when something will happen on a boat 40 miles offshore and the last thing you want is to be unprepared. Additionally, most people panic in emergency situations and you would be surprised at what they forget. I've actually had someone ask me what the number for 911 was! Just having the equipment on your boat does you no good if you don't know how to use it or the batteries are dead. Make sure everyone on your boat knows where the sat phone and EPIRB are, as if you are the only one on the boat who knows and and you are the one who is having the emergency, it doesn't do you a lot of good. I actually created a small cheat sheet that I laminated and rubber banded around my sat phone on how to use it and what numbers to dial (911 wont work on some sat phones, 112 is emergency number on them) and as we in the no wake zone getting things situated on the way out, I do a quick safety/emergency chat. My friends hate it and think its repetitive as I do it every time, if we ever get into a situation where they need to know it, they will be glad they have heard it 500 times!!! hahaha

8. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Very informative link from Gator and great advice from Volleybum. Instructions (written and verbal as a pre-cruise) and cheat cheats for others on the boat is a great idea.

9. mkyota1

mkyota1 First Mate

I always keep a plb attached on a pouch around my waist whenever I am offshore. It is small enough it does not get on the way. I can also bring it with me on other people's boats vs a fixed epirb. Obviously the more tools you have with you the better. 20161201_214553.jpg

10. J Adams

J Adams Pirate

We use an EPIRB, but that PLB on you is great when you're on someone else's boat.

Bossman likes this.
  11. Roadhammer

Roadhammer Treasure Hunter

Life safety = EPIRB/PLB. Informing family, friends, requesting non-emergency help = Sat. phone. EPIRB/PLB most are 4 watts of transmitter power. Most sat. phones are under 1 watt. Bid difference in transmitter power. Plus, I think it's going to be pretty hard in the middle of an emergency like a sinking boat, fire, etc. to take out sat. phone, dial a number, look at your GPS and pass along the information. Hit the button on the beacon and the troops are coming pronto. Just be sure it's not a false alarm $$$$$.

12. Rich M

Rich M Carpenter

I have one of those and a small strobe light attached (or nearby if in a big enough boat) when offshore.

mkyota1 likes this.
  13. William OBrien

Fishing Chatter

I got the garmin PLB and will get an EPIRB next why not have both.
    cheaper then a tank of gas!

mkyota1 likes this.
  14. A1A

A1A Greenhorn

Ive been looking into getting this exact PLB. It’s very reasonably priced, is this the standard or is there another one out there that I should have in my sights?
    Thanks!

mkyota1 likes this.
  15. mkyota1

mkyota1 First Mate

There is a few options out there. I have had it a little over 2 years. At the time it seemed like the best option for me. There might be something better out now. Seems like a solid piece.

16. JonathanFlorida

JonathanFlorida Blackbeard

EPIRB/PLB was the first thing I put on my boat after the minimum safety requirements. Have since added a Garmin inreach which allows me to send text messages via satellite. Cheaper alternative to a sat phone, and satisfies my need to get in touch with a contact onshore in case of emergency.

17. FLBoatGuy

FLBoatGuy Pirate in the making

I have a plb and a handheld marine radio (in addition the radio mounted in the boat). They are both in my ditch bag. I have heard you won't get much reach with the handheld if you're in the water. Have thought about getting an EPIRB and satellite phone for additional security. I go offshore but so far only about 10 miles.

18. mamazoo

mamazoo Greenhorn

We have the same device, great bit of added security while out!

FLBoatGuy, mkyota1 and Roadhammer like this.