1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Engine On Or Off

Discussion in 'Boat Mechanics, Technical Help, etc' started by JDP, Jun 17, 2022.

1. JDP

JDP Pirate
    Thread Started By

Curious about what everyone does with their engine when fishing offshore. Do you leave it on or turn it off? I have a single engine Yamaha 150. Dual battery bank and fish the near shore reefs.

2. Mboat

Mboat Treasure Hunter

Depends, are you having to jog at In-N-Out a gear to stay with the fish or the trash line?
    Your electronics setup should be good for a couple hours anyhow without an engine idle.
    I've heard it both ways people saying that engine idling would attract prey that are used to being fed from a boat, and of course there's the stealth opinion quiet and smooth is better than anything. We usually keep it on traffic's heavy and you've got to try to stay with the line, or sometimes you just get that sneak and feeling deep down inside you ought to leave it on. Just my two cents

JDP and mak like this.
  3. jakeproctor73

jakeproctor73 Blackbeard

I have a 2001 century 2300 with a 2021 225 Zuki i have no problem shutting off when need be and starting up in areas i can anchor but when i run out 40-60 miles in area i can’t anchor i usually don’t risk it i have sea tow and all so in area i know I’m safe no big deal but out far not gonna risk it

JDP, mak and Jeepster like this.
  4. Mboat

Mboat Treasure Hunter

Not trying to sound indifferent, but if you do not trust that zuke to start , I would give it some thought before hand.
    At least test your EPLRB ,toss a sat phone and some extra protein in your ditch bag
    And ALWAYS check wind and currents for that day and the next.
    Have been there done that I guess you could say.
    Both in survival training, and once had a power head go at around 22 Miles on the way back in.
    Not much of a religious person, but I do know that when it's your turn , it's your turn and nothing is going to change it.
    Though I have had a few times where the Almighty's hand held my entire attention for quite some time.

mak likes this.
  5. mkyota1

mkyota1 Sailing Master

I always shut mine off. I have a noisy/smoky 2 stroke though.

6. Mboat

Mboat Treasure Hunter

Yeah those old smokers load up when theysit there and idle for a while.
    I
    had an incident where this new E-Tech was in nutral whilewwhile were breaking things down getting ready to run and someone lost their balance and decided to grab a hold of the shifter. New rule,,,remain seated unless your up working a fish
    I do see the concern guys haveto leave it running, worried if it doesn't start.
    I've had to shut down raise the outboards or the outdrive on the work boat out there more than once to untangle line ,crab traps even on this last job det cord all wound up in the wheel.

7. jakeproctor73

jakeproctor73 Blackbeard

To many times have i heard of starter failure with new motors not exactly the motors fault but if I’m running that far out what’s letting it idle plus deepdropping i often bump in gear with the current to keep the drift down…. I do have sat phone and all but i always have that thought when i had my 2 stroke i would shut it off all the time in 20/30 miles but never reallly ventured past

8. Rich M

Rich M Sailing Master

I typically leave the motor running. 2020 60 hp 4 stroke.

We ran 82 miles on Saturday and the motor was on for 13 hours. Haven't topped off the gas yet but expecting it to be about 10 gallons burned.

9. jakeproctor73

jakeproctor73 Blackbeard

Jeeze 10gallons 100 miles for me usually takes about 30-40 depending on conditions . How far out do u go with that 60hp? What size boat?

10. Rich M

Rich M Sailing Master

I got the boat (Lund SSV-18 aluminum) cause it is light and relatively inexpensive to run. I'm usually inside 15 miles unless if it is super calm and can run out faster. We ran out at about 13 mph and back at 18-20 mph. Trim the nose up and slow down when it gets bumpy. Wanted a multipurpose boat - inshore flats and sometimes offshore kind of rig. This fits the bill. Same boat they use in Alaska a lot.

0613201853_HDR.jpg

0613201853.jpg

0614201733a.jpg

Shrimp Gritter likes this.
  11. jakeproctor73

jakeproctor73 Blackbeard

Hell ya that’s awesome! Maybe one day I’ll catch ya out there. I attached a pic of mine as well

B61D54C6-0747-469B-8F89-6952A4E4198C.jpeg

Rich M likes this.
  12. shrimpmansteve

shrimpmansteve Seaworthy

I used to let it run. Then added a battery and now shut it down.

Rich M likes this.
  13. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

once I get set up over fish and where I want to fish, I shut off the engine. I have three GOOD batteries that I replace if and when needed. my batters will last a few days of running everything onboard. I only turn on to relocate to other spots. just make sure you check and have good fully charged batteries(s) and more than only one battery. most of the towing companies go out on dead battery calls. so invest in a new battery whenever they do not hold a full 100 % charge. there are two things you don't want to be without offshore. good batteries and an EPIRB.

Mboat and Rich M like this.
  14. 311sarge

311sarge Deckhand

Tend to leave running. Seams like between bumping in gear or having to move around its not a big deal to just leave it running unless I’m set up for a while bottom fishing.