1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Drifting Vs. Anchoring

Discussion in 'Fishing Chatter = anything to do with fishing' started by adallas, Jun 20, 2019.

1. adallas

adallas Blackbeard
    Fishing Chatter

So how many of you anchor and how may drift? I primarily drift to cover more water. What are your pro's and con's with both?

2. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

drifting will land you a fish and you will drift right past the hot spot, anchoring will keep you over action for a long time.

3. adallas

adallas Blackbeard
    Fishing Chatter

Do you drift a spot first to get the bearing to anchor?

4. Nautical Gator

depending on if I fished it before, and / or what my display shows, but most of the time I give it a short drift just over the spot. but almost always anchor. i have a windless so dropping anchor is not a problem...

5. mfino242

mfino242 Pirate in the making

I always have a hard time anchoring on a spot. Even with a buoy.

6. J Adams

J Adams Pirate

We've done both and had pretty good luck with either one. Probably more drifting, even with a windlass.

7. BigOldBear

BigOldBear Greenhorn

A wind sock helps with the wind, to slow down a drift.
    It also helps with a slack tide, and slow current to establish a slow drift.
    Probably one of the most forgotten or underrated simple tools.

mak likes this.
  8. wantfish

wantfish Pirate

Usually drift to cover ground and keep on eye on the screen to find a good spot to anchor.

9. Roadhammer

Roadhammer Cabin Boy

I drift fishing for trout. One could drift looking for offshore structure; however, it's inefficient when trying to cover a large amount of area. The only exception I would do would be to drift over large areas of live bottom and holding the spot once encountering fish. However, out in the Gulf where I fish, most live bottom and structure is spotty.

Even 50 miles offshore I use my anchor lock on my trolling motor. I don't use my anchor.

10. learjet3

learjet3 Blackbeard

Do any of the offshore rigs have a version of spot lock like the trolling motor on my inshore has?

11. learjet3

learjet3 Blackbeard

I missed the last part in the post above. I meant other than a trolling motor, like an autopilot feature that keeps the boat in one spot.

12. Roadhammer

Roadhammer Cabin Boy

Yes, there’s a few outboard engine manufacturers that have similar systems $$. Plus, it might require a minimum of dual outboards.

13. Roadhammer

Roadhammer Cabin Boy

Mercury Skyhook, Yamaha Helm Master, Evinrude I Dock.

Srfrdave and mak like this.
  14. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Those are cool (and extremely expensive I’ll bet). I didn’t know anything like that was available.

15. Roadhammer

Roadhammer Cabin Boy

With boats your wallet is the limit. Those systems are pretty neat. I use my riptide offshore and the only limit is when the waves get around 2+ and the trolling motor starts coming out of the water.

16. Nautical Gator

I had a rhodan trolling motor on order for my 30ft offshore, I needed to give the order to another member because of my garage fire...

https://www.rhodanmarine.com/

I will be reordering it when I'm done renovating the house.

I was going to have two removable mounts, one for my offshore then swap it out on my inshore...

17. Nautical Gator

18. Roadhammer

Roadhammer Cabin Boy

I love the shaft length options. For offshore go long.

Nautical Gator likes this.
  19. mkyota1

mkyota1 Sailing Master

Pretty sure rhodan just anounced a 96" shaft version. That is a beast!

20. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Can’t imagine how heavy or reinforced the shaft would have to be on that monster to deal with the flex on one that long with that amount thrust.