1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Does Your Boat Get Infested With Ants When Covered?

Discussion in 'Boating - Anything to do with Boating' started by Nautical Gator, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member
    Thread Started By

Does your boat get infested with ants when covered?

How to Get Rid of Ants

If you ever see any ants and eggs in your boat, the easiest way to get rid of them is BORAX.
    Carpenter ants usually once hatched from a next, keep coming back by instinct

Carpenter ants build their nests in wood, OR in wet most areas.

My skiff has NO-Wood, it is made out of 100% Composite Construction materials. And I found a best of Carpenter ants inside of my Bulge. So I needed to get rid of them.

They are often found around homes in wood piles or landscaping mulch. Unlike termites, they don't actually eat the wood, they just nest there. Carpenter ants can infiltrate a boat over night.

upload_2017-9-4_6-51-13.jpeg

You can buy borax at walmart.

To get rid of them and clean your compartment, Just mix a cup per gallon of water, then wash out your compartment with the mixture of BORAX. and repeat if they come back. but BORAX kills the ants and next. Also works on Termites.

After you washout the compartment, you should also treat tthe compartment so if they come back the won't be welcome.

Mix with powdered sugar, in a ratio of about 1/3 sugar to 2/3 boric acid.

Fill bottle caps with the mixture. Set down around the area where you observe the ants.

When they return it to the nest, it will kill the ants in the nest. Borax penetrates the ant's body and dissolves inside of the ant.

A good ant is a dead ant LOL

2. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

Now if you have a wood boat, the Carpenter ants will build their nests in the wood of your boat, and destroy your boat. so it is important to get rid of them fast.

he foam of this boat was infested with carpenter ants

upload_2017-9-4_7-29-50.jpeg

upload_2017-9-4_7-21-10.jpeg

upload_2017-9-4_7-25-40.jpeg

3. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Knock on wood I haven't had that problem. LOL!

4. shrimpmansteve

shrimpmansteve Swashbuckler

I store my fiberglass boat outside in a wooded area. Gonna definitely put some "traps" around and in the boat

Thanks for sharing.

5. shrimpmansteve

shrimpmansteve Swashbuckler

Do you think you can treat ants in mulch with this. And if so how would you do it ?

6. Nautical Gator

Thread Started By

Yes, it will kill them in the mulch.. but if it rains, the rains water will wash it away.

put some in your bilge.

7. Nocatfish

Nocatfish Seaworthy

Great idea. I often see carpenter ants crawling around my boat. Havn't actually seen a nest, but why risk them. Borax also works well on cockroaches...FYI.

Nautical Gator likes this.
  8. Love2Fish

Love2Fish Petty Officer

Borax also works in the laundry plus other household tasks, but don't tell your wife. Shoosh Smiley Emoticon1::1

9. relicshunter

relicshunter Pirate in the making

I seem to get small sugar ant types. Don't know what they are after. I am sure the borax would work.

10. Sandra Pillows

Sandra Pillows Treasure Hunter

Multipurpose Borax...amazing stuff

11. webeboatin

webeboatin Pirate

Mix the borax with honey for sugar ants. They gone.