1. Guest, we are counting on you to become an actively participating member by engaging in our clubs forum discussions? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Diy Rod Butt Leash Loop

Discussion in 'Club Learning, Instructional Video's' started by Florida Fish Hunter, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Florida Fish Hunter

Florida Fish Hunter Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

This video is about a solution I came up with on how to connect a rod leash to my fishing pole. Although I scoured the whole internet and youtube on a solution there was always something on a leash but nothing on how to actually attach it to the rod where it would be comfortable and out of the way. So check out the video - it may apply to you and work for you as it has worked for me.

mkyota1 likes this.
  2. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Once again Fish Hunter has came up with another great idea for the members of the group. FFH if I ever have an idea that I need help with I know who to look up.

Florida Fish Hunter likes this.
  3. Florida Fish Hunter

Thread Started By

Thanks buddy! I'm glad you liked the idea! :)

4. Shrimp Gritter

Shrimp Gritter Seaman Recruit

Nice vid Fish Hunter. I've always used a small diameter, strong cord, at the reel and seat, as to still be comfortable to grip. The only weak link would be the cord or knot. I'm sure if your rod was to just slip into the water, retrieval should not be a problem. But if it slipped from your grip I'm not sure even with some type of adhesive securing the cap to the rod that it could sustain the pull of the leash on one end and a fish of any size on the other. Just a thought, have you had such situation arise while using this design? Definitely with the cost of equipment the topic of a rod leash is an important one. Thanks

Nautical Gator likes this.
  5. Florida Fish Hunter

Thread Started By

Thanks Shrimp Gritter.

To answer your question, my main concern was losing the rod due to a situation like flipping on the kayak or just being careless and dropping the rod overboard. The cord I used was rated at, I believe, 150 lbs so the weak point in this setup would be the rubber cap itself which is why I chose to use a washer by the cords knot to help spread the load on the force being place over the hole in the rubber cap itself. If you noticed in the beginning part of the video when I placed the cap over the rods butt end for fitment I did not go all the way on with it. The reason for that was because when I first did it the fit was so good that I had a hell of a fight to get it off. Now it should be understood that not all fishing rods handles are the same so this setup will not work in every situation but should for the majority especially if you use the right size rubber cap for the diameter of your rod handle. Rubber gripped handles (like on the ugly stik gx2) I believe are the best candidates for something like this. I have one cork handled rod with this setup but the handle has been upgraded with heat shrink sleeve wrap tubing so no issues there. As far as fighting a fish that takes the rod out of your hands or rod holder - who knows... but what I will say is that at a worst case scenario it should give you at least some time to recover your rod back as opposed to not having it leashed at all.

Shrimp Gritter likes this.
  6. Shrimp Gritter

I agree with you, the cap is the possible weak link. The cord and knot I intended that to pertain to the system I am using. Your cord looked adequate to the task. The good thing about using a good leash system is that it can used in a variety of situations (boat, pier, kayak, shore). The shrink wrap definitely sounds like a good upgrade. Fishingfool liked using tennis racket grip tape, even has a thread here about it, on his reel and seat. Very available and cost effective. Thanks for your details.

7. Roadhammer

Roadhammer Treasure Hunter

I had just thrown a free line live bait over the side when my brother asked me to pass him a drink. It was a spinning rig with live pin fish on it and a waiting mackerel found it quite inviting. Relaxed grip, no leash... no more pole.

8. Shrimp Gritter

Costly, but a very good example as to how quick it can happen. Several years back I was fishing with a friend, on a 21ft. boat along the jetty outside of Charleston, S.C., when his cigarettes started to fall from his shirt pocket, he managed to juggle and fumble then save his cigs. In the process though his $100 plus Ambassador fishing outfit went to live with Davy Jones. No leash on his either. Thanks for sharing something that might save other members from the same plight.

9. AL KEARCE

AL KEARCE Carpenter

I lost one to a snook at Sebastion inlet years ago. Wish I would have had a set up like that back then. Thanks for sharing this great idea.