1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Diving Out Of Ponce Inlet 8/18

Discussion in 'Scalloping, Lobstering, Crabbing, Claiming' started by Diesel Dave, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

Got to the Port Orange Bridge boat ramp at 7 am. Not a parking space anywhere. Parked on the side of the road along with many other vehicles and trailers. Thought I would be ok parking there since the parking lot was packed. Got a 30 dollar ticket.
    Headed out to a favorite spot and anchored up. We were 20 miles out in 70 feet of water. Not much current and the water was glassy. The people up top bottom fished and we went down and headed against the current. Visibility was 3-5 feet and water temp was 61 at the bottom. Caught several lobster but all but one were pregnant. Saw some big Red Snappers and Mangrove snappers under ledges. Was intimidated by them because of the way the ledges were and the visibility. I didn’t feel I could get the fish out from ledges after I shot them. I am going to get a power head so that I can get these big fish in the future. Popped up after our safety stop about 100 feet from the boat. Felt like I was in the Keys.
    Moved to another spot that was about 90 feet deep. Water temp at the bottom was 61 and visibility was 3 feet. Didn’t see many fish and caught one keeper lobster. Caught several big pregnant ones. After our safety stop popped up about 100 feet from boat. The people up top didn’t catch anything much.
    Moved to another spot at 70 feet deep. After we anchored up we caught two Red Snappers bottom fishing. Two divers went down and stayed beneath the boat the entire dive. My son said when he hit the bottom and looked at the ledge there were 8 lobsters all in a row staring at him in a straight line. A large Red Snapper happened to swim by and he nailed it. He said at this location there were lobster everywhere. Can’t wait to get back to this spot. Hopefully the vis will be better.
    Happy diving.

2. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

Pics for the above post.

DEC2872F-2F6B-4A2F-B005-DEDFE5932E9E.jpeg

C2A1082C-9D0F-4D8B-875A-63680FF598B8.jpeg

32FC8C81-769D-473F-BEC2-6BCBDC476789.jpeg

3. robthetimekeeper

robthetimekeeper Sailing Master

As far as I know, powerheads are still illegal in Florida. You just have to aim more carefully and be sure to stone them. I don't like to dive in the murk and I certainly wouldn't shoot anything in poor vis.

4. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

You had a successful dive for sure and everyone came home with a mess of fish. Very detailed report and nice pictures to go with it.

5. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Blackbeard
    Thread Started By

Thanks for the info on the power head. I will find out about the use of these.

6. mkyota1

mkyota1 Sailing Master

Very cool. Nice detailed report and great haul. Congrats.

7. bogman102

bogman102 Petty Officer

Thanks for a great report and glad to hear and see you did well! Good job! Sorry to hera about the parking ticket. They do the same thing in New Smyrna!

8. Greenedog

Greenedog Treasure Hunter

Sounds like a heck of a trip, congrats! I wondered how much those tickets were...I sure see a lot of them on the windshields there!

9. nat55611

nat55611 Cabin Boy

Glad you got some and I would love to go out diving with you on your boat or mine

10. Love2Fish

Love2Fish Petty Officer

Very nice trip! Too bad about the parking ticket.

11. 311sarge

311sarge Deckhand

Glad to see a diving report had heard catter on the radio from divers that bottom temp was cold. At least y’all got some good rewards for going down there. Sucks about the ticket though. Guess the money that you save on maintenance gets spent sooner or later. Lol. Sorry to make a joke.

12. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

Nice dive trip and descriptive report

Great Report""1

61 seems like the up welling is still around...

13. Nocatfish

Nocatfish Seaworthy

Thanks for the great report and the info on the bottom temps. The fish we were catching didn't seem that cold, but something was giving them lockjaw.

14. Vectorman

Vectorman Pirate

Nothing, except a few sharks, was bitting on the bottom, not even the sabiki rig, the thermocline was clearly visible on the bottom machine.

15. Alec Guito

Alec Guito Cabin Boy

nice haul. 3-5 vis would freak me out!

16. David Orlando

David Orlando Master Gunner

This is encouraging, I’m thinking about getting into diving. Got a dive instructor friend who is willing to give the wife and I most of the gear we need.

Thanks for the report! It was a great read.

17. RiledUp4Fisch

RiledUp4Fisch Junior Member

I would love to get into diving again. My Uncle was a commercial fisherman and we used to scuba dive for lobster and spearfish. Never got certified though as I never needed too. Now it looks like I need to get certified. Any suggestions on where to go for a guy that has been diving for 30+ years?

18. Goggle Eye

Goggle Eye Seaman Recruit

WTG DD. Nice mixed bag.

19. creativ44

creativ44 Pirate

Great report! Looks like a fun trip.