1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Dead Batteries Yet Again

Discussion in 'Boat Mechanics, Technical Help, etc' started by harry hall, Aug 29, 2020.

1. harry hall

harry hall Pirate
    Thread Started By

What is the downside of BOTH batteries being deep-cycle? Instead of one start / one deep cycle. I have a Yamaha 115 4-stroke. I usually keep a third (deep cycle) battery dedicated to just shrimp lights.
    Ed

2. harry hall

harry hall Pirate
    Thread Started By

well according to NAPA only the one deep cycle was bad.... so that is a relief , something must be amiss as I had the two starting batteries on the battery tender for 3 days. Possibly there is a short ( i have the aft storage and live well totally torn apart) to grnd somewhere by passing the A/B switch ??
    So i am now isolated the two start batteries and put them back on the tender for a few days.

3. 311sarge

311sarge Master Gunner

What size battery tender are you using? If the battery is totally dead a trickle style battery tender may not really be the best to charge a dead battery. May need a bigger charger like a variable amp charger. When you had Napa test them did I they actually load test the battery or just stick their computer on that says ok, needs charge, or replace. I know i had battery issues with my diesel truck and took batteries to advanced and the “tested” and only said needed charged. Asked if they load test them and the clerk said “No” we are not allowed to load test for insurance reasons. Scratching my head I asked well how can you tell if there is a shorted cell in the battery and the kid just replied i don’t know. I replaced the batteries and truck fired right up.
    Is there a disconnect switch on your boat? Or is the batteries live the whole time? Boat stored outside and rain kicking the bilge on running the batteries down? Just some questions.

4. harry hall

harry hall Pirate
    Thread Started By

yeah I did not take to the shop that would load test it. This was a battery that i bought in the keys while lobstering 4 years ago. My charger is a 10amp ProMar dual Bank. The only switch i have is the a/b switch which is always off-- i purchased a "isolator" and intend to install this weekend.
    thanks for the reply
    Ed

5. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

I’ve noticed that my on-board charger does not work on the batteries if they get too low. The indicator lights show a connection problem... If I’ve been gone for a month in the summer my batteries seem to go dead in a hurry just sitting out there in the heat. I have to connect a standard charger to them for an hour or so and then once it gets them to a certain point my on-board charger will start working and bring them up to a full charge again.