1. Guest, we are counting on you to become an actively participating member by engaging in our clubs forum discussions? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Crabbing Canaveral Seashore South Oak Hill 2-3-2019

Discussion in 'Scalloping, Lobstering, Crabbing, Claiming' started by bogman102, Feb 5, 2019.

1. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman
    Thread Started By

Buck and I traveled south to try some crabbing. The crabs have been few and far between since last spring and summer heavy rains. I used two ring traps baited with Black Sea Bass and Vermillion Snapper heads. George used two fish rods one baited with a small Mullet (?) and the other with fresh dead shrimp wrapped in a fine netting. After one hour we had no takers and didn't even see a crab! The crab blight remains! If there were any crabs in the area we would have seen something.
    The next day I rode down to Goodriches in Oak Hill and tried off the dock. I wanted to use up the fish heads I had used yesterday. Again after an hour I called it with only one small crab caught and released. The water was 70 degrees and salinity 1.012.
    You have to go to know but I think I will give the crabs a while to recover!
    I don't know if it was the back to back hurricanes last year, all the heavy rains last spring and summer or just part of their seven year cycle but crabs are sparse this year!
    Time to target some Oysters!

Greenedog likes this.
  2. mak

mak Able Bodied Sailor

Sorry to hear that you couldn’t find any. I know this time last year we were catching a lot in our Flagler canal. Oct and November it strarted to pick up again and we were doing pretty well but since we got back in Jan it’s been real slow again.

3. magdrill

magdrill Pirate in the making

Thx for the report. Hopefully it’ll pick up soon as I like to bring my 30 topless traps down on my annual shrimp trip

4. Keith

Keith Pirate

Sorry to hear about your crabbing attempt. Do you think Haulover canal would be a good choice to crab?

5. MyMy86

MyMy86 Pirate

Sorry about your luck with the crabs. Hopefully they show up soon. Thanks for the report.

6. Johannes

Johannes Blackbeard

Thanks for the report. But that does not fill me with much optimism for my trip in April to NSB...

7. famous82

famous82 Pirate in the making

Thanks for the detailed report