1. Guest, we are counting on you to become an actively participating member by engaging in our clubs forum discussions? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Crabbing 2018

Discussion in 'Scalloping, Lobstering, Crabbing, Claiming' started by bogman102, Jun 29, 2018.

1. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman apprentice
    Thread Started By

I was doing well after the new year until about April when things slowed. Crabs were not as abundant and the size had decreased as expected. Usually after a few full moons the crabs have grown in size and are back in abundance.
    Not this year! By mid May last year everyone was getting blue Crabs! I don't even see the Orlando folks crabbing at the docks in numbers yet. I spoke to a crabber at the north causeway fish docks the other day; he said he had been there since 6am (12 hours) and thought he had six crabs! Unusual, very unusual!
    I stopped at Doris Leeper Park today by the triple bridges in New Smyrna Beach. No one was there!
    The water was black from so much tannin!
    Nice that the afternoon rains cool down the day but we've had enough rain for a while!
    Let the estuaries get back to their normal salt load! Just saying I'm jonesin for some crabs!
    Crabbycrab1::1

Johannes likes this.
  2. David Orlando

David Orlando Master Gunner

Me too. Wife took her Girlfriend and teenage boys this morning to our spot on ML. They caught nothing. First time out in 2018, I will make a report for her soon.

Hope it turns on soon!

3. mak

mak Powder Monkey

We were catching lots of crabs each week behind the house in Flagler right up until mid-May when all the rain started. It’s like someone flipped a switch and turned off the blue crabs. Gave up leaving the trap out after over a week of refreshing the bait and not getting any. We’ve been out of town all of June so haven’t had the opportunity to try and see if they have returned yet.

4. Johannes

Johannes Pirate

I'm going to be back in NSB at the beginning of October and I now wanted to do some crabbing for the first time. Do you have an idea how crabbing is in October - are there usually some blue crabs around?

5. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman apprentice
    Thread Started By

October is usually good but this year is so off I will not guarantee October either! Sorry!
    Hopefully it will straighten out by then!

Johannes likes this.
  6. cuna21

cuna21 Pirate in the making

I usually do good off of the mosquito lagoon but nothing for the last 3 months

7. Rich M

Rich M Able Bodied Sailor

I've been in Edgewater a lot this summer so far. When I was messing with the boat at the boat ramp on June - saw 3 go walking by. Just nothing big.

Father's day we caught a couple for the little boy to play with - they were also on the smaller size. I'd recon that if someone wanted some they could get 'em if they use a line and not a trap.

8. Dock Commander

Dock Commander Able Bodied Sailor

Sorry to hear this year hasn’t been very productive. Hopefully the crab gods will look favorably on your request for some crabbies!!

9. Goggle Eye

Goggle Eye Seaman Recruit

Starting to see more med to large in the shallows. Hopefully this means things are getting back to normal.

Johannes likes this.