1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Cost Of Boat Ownership

Discussion in 'Boating - Anything to do with Boating' started by Nautical Gator, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member
    Thread Started By

It was a joy having both of my boats build to my specifications, it was even a bigger joy bringing them home... it's been even a bigger joys using them through out the years.

I have always heard that the two best days of being a boat owner are "the day you buy it" and "the day you sell it".

Nope not true...

I have been maintaining my boats regularly, and I still consider them new, or at least they have gotten better with age like a good wine.

When something gets old and needs some TLC, I replace it with new parts, when I see something that I would like to add to my boats, I add it. they have been like customizing my Harley to make them my own.

To this day, I am still adding new things, like swapped out all my Incandescent lighting for new LED lights, upgraded all my electronics several times to the latest technology, replaced my windless three times, replaced my anchor three times, rebuilt my water pump, rebuilt my trim cylinders, and replaced my out drive seals added new security alarms, video surveillance system etc. and a mess of other maintenance stuff...

Upgraded all my safety equipment, epirb etc... Yes its never ending... and it is expensive, but I still do not think it is as expensive as a woman is! LOL It's my sport and my hobby, and that's what I love doing. so if that's what it takes, that's worth doing...

So if you love boating and fishing, than love your boat!

2. Chuck Pelletier

Chuck Pelletier Pirate in the making

I totally agree. I heard that from a guy at work and I said to myself silently I don’t agree. I was proud to bring it home and every time I take it out. I look forward to the next time I can go out. And mine also looks great

Nautical Gator likes this.
  3. Michael P. McDougald

Michael P. McDougald Junior Member

I don't own my own boat. But my brother in law has a 37 ft cruiser, and he is constantly working on it.
    If I lived near the ocean, I would buy one myself. He keeps telling me the happest days of owning a boat is the day you buy it, and the day you sell it. But i know he is just joking!!! So i know the hard work of boat ownership. And also the joy, and memories one has from riding a bike and owning a boat.
    Thank you all for making this club, and your boats available to those of us who dont on a boat.
    And I hope I get to know all of you! You show me by your sharing of your boats, that you all are the kind of people I want to meet.

4. AL KEARCE

AL KEARCE Mate

Well said, Sam. I totally agree.

5. Michael P. McDougald

Yes i am on vacation, at balloon festival in N.M. then off to Orlando on the 19th

6. Michael P. McDougald

Can't wait to go fishing and shrimping
    And meet some of our members!!!

7. NauTiKel

NauTiKel Pirate in the making

We were boat-less for several years. Saved up. Found we made a huge financial mistake as the prices all exploded. Same boats were selling for same price, but with 3 times the hours on them after 7-8 years. Found a good deal on a new boat 1 size UP and just dove in. Spending 3 times the money but we put all the hours on it and we know just about it. There is a certain security in that. We didn’t feel that security with the old boat. Cost of maintenance is offset by diy. Just put new water pumps in as well as all the hundred hour stuff. Not cheap even diy. Buy in bulk to save money later. We have enough oil for the next oil change, another set of filters, and plenty of the boat filters too. Saving time by NOT shopping for this stuff = money later on. My main point being, we should not have waited. We really didn’t save anything in the long run, but we missed a lot of memories we could have made.

8. duffy

duffy Pirate

Most expensive sport I have been a part of. But the memories made with family and friends is worth every penny.

9. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Matey

What kind of boat did you get?

10. NauTiKel

NauTiKel Pirate in the making

The one in the picture Sailfish.