1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Carburator Tip

Discussion in 'Boat Mechanics, Technical Help, etc' started by WestCoastSteve, Apr 11, 2019.

1. WestCoastSteve

WestCoastSteve Junior Member
    Thread Started By

So I was needing a small outboard. I finally found a beautiful Johnson 25hp. Great price, “needed carbs cleaned”.......
    It ran on gas soaked rag, no problem.....
    Well when I got it home I removed the carburators and found they were just done, in fact by the local dealer where I bought the motor. I was surprised how clean and spotless they were inside. So what was the trouble. put back together and would idle but not rev up. Could choke and get to run better. Took carbs back apart and taking the straw from a can of carb cleaner sprayed every hole. I found I needed something to ream a couple passages. I just change strings on one of my guitars. The excess strings are perfect, just stiff enough and just flexible enough. Soaked in cleaner and got about 6 pieces of debris loose. Motor ran beautiful. If you have to clean a carb, have a buddy who plays guitar save you the ends or the old strings. When talking with my new boat mechanic about this he said “oh yeah I been using them for years to clean carbs” (wish I had known)

Shrimp Gritter and Srfrdave like this.
  2. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Great tip. I’ve used the wires and Gunk Carb cleaner to save the day on countless occasions. I tend to have too many vehicles sitting around that don’t get run near enough...

3. Greg and Tabitha

Greg and Tabitha Cabin Boy

That’s a good tool. I use the wire from a wire brush. I also bought a special tool with different size wires for around $10.

4. I use weed wacker wire to clean out the telltale or pisser on my outboard.

Shrimp Gritter likes this.
  5. 311sarge

311sarge Powder Monkey

Always good to hear a new tip. Never know when it will come in handy.

6. Shrimp Gritter

Shrimp Gritter Seaman apprentice

Great tip. I sure my wife will miss that one string off her guitar, but by then I probably won’t be able to hear about it over the beautiful hmm of the outboard. lol. p.s. I think I just heard her mumble something ‘bout me having to return to the ramp sometime. lol