1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Can You Catch Shrimp At Oak Hill On Incoming Tide

Discussion in 'Questions & Answers: Gain Angling Knowledge' started by Greg and Tabitha, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Greg and Tabitha

Greg and Tabitha Cabin Boy
    Thread Started By

I want to go shrimping at oak hill this Thursday but high tide if I am figuring it correctly will be around 3AM. Can you catch them on the incoming tide? I have always done it on the outgoing tide in the past.

2. fishingfool

fishingfool Lieutenant

Yellowtail likes this.
  3. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

ONLY if you are shrimping the outgoing tide, then as the tide goes slack and at the start of the incoming tide. this SOMETIMES works, but most of the time the shrimp shut down.

4. lobsterman

lobsterman Seaman Recruit

Yep what they said. It pays sometimes to arrive early and put a light out. Also if your bucket is not toped off at the end of the tide, give theslak tide a few minutes, sometimes all the sudden there will be shrimp every where. I have toped off the last gallon doing this at times. No guarantee though.

Nautical Gator likes this.
  5. Greg and Tabitha

Thread Started By

So am I correct that high tide in oak hill this Thursday night December 29th will be around 3 am. I am using your tide chart. Does that mean that the outgoing tide starts moving around 3am. I was hoping to get there around 4pm but I don't want to wait around til 3 am to catch shrimp. I am new at this so I am trying to learn when to go. It takes a lot of effort because it is at least a two hour drive for me.

6. fishingfool

fishingfool Lieutenant

You are correct! And always use the one hour +/- rule. The tide is not always on schedule!

7. Greg and Tabitha

Thread Started By

Thanks for the advice. I might make it out there this Thursday or the following Sunday night.

8. johnfromchicago

johnfromchicago Greenhorn

great information. thanks.

9. have got them on flood tide around the slack

10. Baccarac

Baccarac Blackbeard

you can catch shrimp at Oak Hill just about anytime at night problem is incoming tide if you sit for six hours you might only get a half a gallon on the same night the outgoing tide six hours of shrimping a full pull. Might not be the time at night you want but that's shrimping