1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Bow Season 2019-2020

Discussion in 'Hunting - Trapping, Deer, Gator, Hog, Turkey' started by mak, Sep 28, 2019.

1. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member
    Thread Started By

Have to keep the wife happy so I was stuck on a 10 day cruise that left the opening weekend of bow season... Got up to our cabin Tuesday night the 24th. Scouted our property the next day to see what kind of activity I could find, and put my stand out near the top of the ridge behind our cabin. Was sitting in my climber Thursday morning by 6:40am. Other than birds and a lone squirrel I didn’t see anything until about 9:10. Watched two big does and a yearling moving parallel to the ridge from west to east. About 35 yards down the hill from me. Good distance but woods are thick with not a lot of clear shots for an arrow. Lined up and nearly took the shot as one went by then as the second big one got in the clearest shooting lane. Decided to wait on a completely clear perfect shot and watched them move out of sight. That was it for the day.
    Record high temps this time of year. Low 80s... and only upper 60s in the morning. Too hot for me so I haven’t been out in the afternoons. Had something else to deal with and didn’t get out Friday morning.
    Back in the climber by 6:45am Saturday. Rained hard the day and night before so the deer weren’t moving over crunchy leaves... Even with the wet leaves I haven’t had any put the sneak on me like this in quite a few years. At 8:45 I heard something directly behind me. Four big does had managed to come straight of the hill behind me moving south to north toward the top of the ridge. They had gotten to within 15 yards and were in a clear open spot. Of course it was too late for me though. Had I heard or seen them coming earlier I could have gotten turned around in position. They were walking steadily and would soon get to the ridgetop and out of sight so I went ahead and tried to make the turn. They spooked, blew, and ran off east about 75 yards or so. I worked the bleat call quite a few times, hit the grunt call a couple times and went back to a bunch of bleats and waited. I was surprised to see them start slowly and carefully start making their way back toward me, bobbing heads and stomping the whole way.
    They got about 35 yards away and weren’t coming any closer. I had my buddy on Friday giving me crap about always waiting for the perfect shot. Had one of them get broadside for another marginal shot like I passed-up Thursday. I guess I succumbed to the pressure and took the shot. Shouldn’t have. Arrow hit a little branch and veered off to the side for a clean miss. Fortunately a clean miss. That was enough to put me back in the mode of waiting for the perfect shot.
    Moved my stand about thirty yards to a spot that I think will give me a better chance from the several different paths and directions they move through. It’s a little more open and I spent an hour with a limb pruner and saw trying to make some better shooting lanes for the arrow.
    Debating about whether to go back out again in the morning or give it a day to settle down after all the stomping around I was doing.

2. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

at least your seeing some deer, maybe a buck with want to tag along with the does soon enough.

3. mak

Thread Started By

Hope so, but right now I just need some venison in the freezer. Haven’t had my cameras out, but at this stage in owning the property I pretty much know where they travel. Cameras would just show me if there are any good bucks.

4. Nautical Gator

cams show the time of day or night they are coming through.

Rich M and Shrimp Gritter like this.
  5. Rich M

Rich M Mate

I'm w Sam. Time those bucks.

Glad someone is hunting. You shouldnt have any trouble getting a doe. Stick with it, they can smell exactly where you go for days afterwards, might as well get em before they shift.

I'm just counting the days now. Starting to sort gear, gotta get the tents up and seams sealed, etc.

No more fishing, thought I had 1 more trip but forgot my hunting boots at MILs this weekend. Was gonna do an 8 mile walk over causeway and back but Indian river water stunk and I didn't want several hours of breathing that crap.

6. mak

Thread Started By

Saw nothing this morning. Will hit it again in the morning.

7. Nautical Gator

Tony is in the woods, he seen a few, but nothing big...

8. mak

Thread Started By

Jumped a deer walking in this morning at about 6:15am about 50 yards behind our cabin. Right at 9:00 I had a small doe (average for up here in the mountains) coming straight at me from the west, walking parallel to the ridge. I’m hunting a treestand where you face the tree so she just happened to be in the blind spot until within 30 yards. Was moving super slow and cautiously. More so than usual for a doe. She got to the Persimmon tree about 20 yards away on the other side of my tree and proceeded to gorge herself on all the green persimmons that had dropped.
    I have several wild Persimmon trees at the back of our property. Almost every year they are loaded with fruit but they almost always drop off before ripe. Have never figured out why but have seen some info say that they drop when the tree has too many. Rarely do I see many stay on and actually get ripe. I know Persimmons are deer candy, but I’ve also never seen the deer eat the green ones. Today was an exception though. She ate for ten minutes until I thought she would bust. I was counting ribs on the four deer I saw Saturday though, and there is a very poor acorn crop this year. Maybe that has something to do with it.
    Anyway, she finally started cautiously moving again my direction. She went around some thick stuff and then started quartering up the hill toward me. Looked like she would go directly under so I went ahead and took the shot before she was facing directly at me. I thought I heard the arrow make that hollow thunk but she ran down the hill about 60 yards with no indication of a hit. I watched her turn around and look back my direction. Then she bobbed her head a few times like they do when trying to identify the unknown. Took a step back toward me, and at this stage I think to myself “Damn, how did I miss?” Right as that thought is going through my head she drops a bag of rocks and never made another twitch.
    I’m lazy and always make a mess butchering them myself so I field dressed and took to the local processor. They have gone up to $75. Add that to the $400 out-of-state license (even though I’m on my property) and this truly is the most expensive meat in the world as Jeff Foxworthy has pointed out. Wish she had been larger but didn’t get any last year and needed some in the freezer so at least the pressure is off.

9. Nautical Gator

nice hunting story. Thumbsup1:::1

wildgamefeast-jpeg.jpg

10. Rich M

Rich M Mate

That's a good one Mak. Good job.

Maybe you can prune the persimmons and it will hold the fruit?

Thanks, Sam. Hope Tony can arrow a good one.

11. mak

Thread Started By

Yeah, me too. Anxious to hear a report of how it’s going. I can’t imagine hunting in that heat and humidity though.
    Although I don’t see many deer in the afternoon, I normally hunt anyway. Not so far this year... It’s 89 degrees up here right now. Unheard of for this time of year up this way. I’ll stick with the mornings until it cools off some.
    I need to research the persimmon issue again. Pruning may be a good idea to try. Thumbsup1:::1

12. Rich M

Rich M Mate

Can never go wrong pruning and fertilizing trees or natural vegetation. Shoosh Smiley Emoticon1::1

13. mak

Thread Started By

Found some more info on the persimmons. Three main reasons appear to be too much fruit, not enough sunlight (certainly could me the case here due to canopy), and main reason is that fruit was pollenated but never fertilized after growth...
    Will be interesting to see if other deer are also eating them this year.

14. Greenedog

Greenedog Treasure Hunter

Congrats mak! This is opening day here in Indiana but it's gonna be a high of 92 so I'm gonna pass.

15. Shrimp Gritter

Shrimp Gritter Seaman apprentice

Good successful, safe hunt. WTG!

16. mak

Thread Started By

Geeez... even in the 90s up there? That’s crazy.

17. chickenchaps

chickenchaps Pirate

Loved reading the adventure! Thank you for sharing! Glad you got one in the freezer! Why dont you hunt in Florida since its so expensive in Georgia? We had a big 6 point, (coulda been 8, was hard to see him so far), in our front pasture. He was just pacing the fence back and forth back and forth. How odd! He can clear 4' field fence easy. He paced for quite a while before finally making the jump over. The fence does have barb wire on top (to keep the horses from leaning on it). I wonder if he got stuck, hung, hurt, going over barb wire sometime in the past and thats why he hesitated? That was about a week before bow season of course. Havent seen him since.

18. mak

Thread Started By

Bought this property out in the middle of national forrest specifically for relaxing and hunting. Just stupidly forgot to purchase my lifetime license before we changed our residency to Florida. It would cost way more down there by the time I paid for a good deer lease unless I just hunted public land. Plus I like hunting cooler weather than what we get down there. I’ve not even been out in the afternoons yet because it’s too warm but looks like next week will drop 15-20 degrees.
    It’s funny how many deer and other wildlife we see right there in Flagler Beach. Where is the pasture at where you were watching the buck?
    And BTW, the answer to your question as to why he was hesitant:
    46D0CB3A-68BB-4DFF-A9DD-CE7A34853F16.jpeg

19. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Congrats Mark on the Killing I spent a week and didn't kill anything.

20. mak

Thread Started By

Ha! Only because I’m not being picky, just hungry :)
    Sounds like you had plenty of opportunity.