1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Boater Killed Lake O

Discussion in 'In The News section, Local News and Information' started by lobsterman, Jan 10, 2018.

1. lobsterman

lobsterman Seaman Recruit
    Thread Started By

2. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Thanks for the update, I had heard that they canceled the tournament but I hadn't heard that they had found a body.

3. lobsterman

Thread Started By

Strange thing. This exact same scenario happened to a guy at work fishing a tournament. I believe it was on the Clermount chain. two of them. The guy I worked with died also. I tell ya, if you have ever been in one of these rocket ship boats you know how easy this can happen. 70-80mph is absolutely crazy. Add rough water, oi! My a$$ is sucking wind! I have seen 20’ boat, 250hp! Absolutely nuts! I try to stay out of these things now days.

Bossman likes this.
  4. lobsterman

Thread Started By

5. lobsterman

Thread Started By

I have fished with Tony! We car pooled to work.

6. Jeepster

Jeepster Swabbie

I drew a partner for a tournament who owned one of these rocket boats. I was so glad we made it back to the launch safely. I am so happy I only lost my hat and not my life.

lobsterman likes this.
  7. lobsterman

Thread Started By

My last time was in SC, my friends son-in-law, 60-70mph, IN THE DARK! “Hey buddy that GPS is not radar! SLOW DOWN!

8. lobsterman

Thread Started By

Bass fishing we used to say first light, drag race before a day of fishing.

9. Praying for his family and all those affected by his loss. My understanding is he was wearing a helmet, thermals, and a PFD. I wonder if the PFD was damaged during his ejection? The wind was fierce that day.

lobsterman likes this.
  10. Roadhammer

Roadhammer Cabin Boy

A friend of mine fished that tournament. The angler was wearing a regular PFD, not an inflatable. I don't think he was wearing a helmet. They were at least 20 miles offshore on Lake Okeechobee in heavy winds and chop. They were ejected from the boat and the surviving boater said he saw his buddy wave at him. The surviving boater hung onto the swamped boat and finally drifted to shore beating the expected survival time in the water by a couple of hours.

It's a tragedy and we're all capable of being too confident in our equipment and abilities. However, modern bass boats are really drag boats. No freeboard, a slipper with a huge motor on the back. Fine for perfectly smooth water, disaster waiting on troubled waters. Even on a flat morning the day of a tournament you can go on youtube and see the boat wrecks from these guys hitting the chop from a couple hundred boats heading out.

Hopefully these boaters will temper their need for speed with the current conditions. I always have my vest on underway with a PLB and hooked to the kill lanyard.

Nautical Gator likes this.
  11. Is it possible that the Ranger bass boat they were in "submarined", as several of their models have been known for in rough water conditions, a wave and they were hit face on with a wall of water. I had read on newspaper report from the that area that the driver was able to remain in the boat by holding on to the steering wheel. The boat was a single console model, as such the passenger would catch the full force of the impact. Such a tragedy. http://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/lo...nyone-who-finds-nik-kayler-lake-o/1015973001/

Nautical Gator likes this.
  12. lobsterman

Thread Started By

One of the scariest rides 70+mph with nothing in front of you to hang onto.

13. Roadhammer

Roadhammer Cabin Boy

Most bass have no freeboard nor bow rise. Alot of them have a descending freeboard towards the bow to where it nearly looks like the bow tapers down instead of level or up. I've ridden on my buddy's Ranger and it looks like we're going to spear every little one foot wave on the lake much less bigger waves. He's told me it's not uncommon for him to spear a wave during windy conditions. I don't think he realizes the seriousness of that condition. Even with self bailing decks it doesn't take much water to overload the boat, drop it off a plane, and then get broached broadside.

I always wear my pfd, lanyard, and PLB when underway. I haven't made my passengers wear theirs. This accident has made me rethink my operations especially offshore. It's not uncommon to have a strong wind out of one direction with a strong current going in another direction. There would be no way of swimming back to the boat or even hooking up with anyone else in the water. Not to mention the chance of being seriously hurt being thrown out of a boat or getting knocked out. From now on if the boat is underway everyone will be wearing a PFD.

lobsterman likes this.
  14. lobsterman

Thread Started By

First response when handing a life jacket to someone, “no thanks I can swim” well can you swim with a broken leg? Arm? Ribs? Concision? Possibly in 60 degrees water? Most the time when you come out of a boat in-voluntaryly you are going to hit something... hard, maybe sharp on the way out even sitting still.

Roadhammer and Nautical Gator like this.
  15. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

Yup, ALWAYS, stay with the boat, grab all your coolers, life vests and rope, and if you can, make a flotation raft/device if the boat goes under.

Shrimp Gritter and lobsterman like this.
  16. Roadhammer

Roadhammer Cabin Boy

A close call on the Columbia River.

17. alex23

alex23 Pirate

I don’t think they ever found his body. Tragic loss.

18. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

lobsterman post that they found the body.

19. alex23

alex23 Pirate

Oh I missed that. Thanks.

Bossman likes this.