1. Guest, Did you know that you can Become a Star Member... and that our Clubs Forums operating expenses are primarily paid by the generous contributions of members - We hope you enjoy our clubs forum and become a forum supporter... Guest, if you would like to give back and help support your club, Click here and Become a Star Member Today!!! http://www.shrimpnfishflorida.com/forums/styles/avatars_smileys/Smiles/thumbsup.gif

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Boat Rental Or Charter - South Florida

Discussion in 'Boat Supply, Boat Parts, Boat Information etc…' started by mlea42, Jun 7, 2019.

1. mlea42

mlea42 Junior Member
    Thread Started By

Has anyone rented a boat from the Boatsetter.com website? I have experience with a few different size center consoles (15ft, 20ft and 26ft), so my capabilities aren't a factor of concern. Insurance is supposedly included. I'll have my own rods/reels, etc. Any advice? or recommendations? experiences?

For a charter, I found a website called, Fishingbooker.com. Found a few charters for $400 (half day) offshore fishing on a 20ft center console. Looks like it would be a good option every now and then by myself.

Boating club initial fees are too expensive, so that's not an option for me. If that initial fee wasn't there, i'd totally join. I may try pier fishing but I most likely won't go that route. Any advice is welcomed.

2. mak

mak Mate

Can’t help with Boatsetter.com info but lots of members here so maybe one of them has some experience.
    I have used fishingbooker a few times in the past when in new areas and I hadn’t been able to get guide recommendations in advance. They seem to be the main player that a large percentage of the guides utilize to arrange the charters. Seems like the last time I used them over near Destin I found that through them the advertised price was actually better than direct with the captain’s web page. There are a lot of reviews to help with narrowing down the decision but I wonder how many of the negatives get dropped from the site...
    If you are not in to the crowded party boats I know a lot of the places will put you together with other individuals or small groups to cut the cost of the charter but still maintain a small group. Makes it a little more cost effective than a private charge just for yourself. Still a chance you get saddled with jerks for fishing companions but fewer of them than on the party boat :)

3. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

I would go down to your local tackle shop and talk to the guy behind the counter and look in the fishing magazine that they have, you will find some good deals... plus find out who the better ones are in your area.

4. mlea42

mlea42 Junior Member
    Thread Started By

Thank you for your reply! Yea I'm not into the crowded drift boats unfortunately. Would love to find people to split costs with. It may take a few times to meet some people but it's worth spending some money. I'm going to try out fishingbooker for sure. Thats a good point about negative reviews. I'll be sure to post a review on this forum after I go. I've been working too much and ready to get out on the water.

5. mlea42

mlea42 Junior Member
    Thread Started By

Thanks. That'll be worth a try. I usually have negative experiences in shops (hunting, fishing, gun ranges, etc) but I always keep trying and waiting to be proven wrong :)

So far I've seen a few videos on youtube with some local charters but they are too expensive for one person. I have a feeling it will just be trial and error with local charters listed online. And that's ok. I'll post some feedback on the forum in case anyone else is in my situation. I'll probably just end up renting a boat and go out on my own.

6. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

with one person why don't you just go on a party boat and pay $80-$90 bucks?

7. mlea42

mlea42 Junior Member
    Thread Started By

To be frank with you... because fishing like that sucks

JBF likes this.
  8. mak

mak Mate

Post in the Fishing Buddies section for your region and you may find other members also looking to split the costs on a charter. Or maybe even some with their own boats looking for company and help with their bait/fuel costs.

9. mlea42

mlea42 Junior Member
    Thread Started By

Thank you Mak. And Happy Birthday!

I posted in fishing buddies yesterday about splitting a charter but haven’t heard back from anyone yet. I’m going to go ahead and book a trip. Need some stress relief from work. I wouldn’t mind going on someone’s boat and helping with their costs after getting to know them but for safety reasons I’d rather split a charter.

10. mak

mak Mate

Thanks. I understand the safety concerns.
    I see you posted/replied in Sam’s original 2015 post kicking off that forum. You may want to start a new thread in that same forum. If in the Title it has the area and month or timeframe you are wanting to set something up then it may not be as easy to overlook.

11. mlea42

mlea42 Junior Member
    Thread Started By

Oh ok will do. I’m new to forums so I appreciate the help

12. I know party boats can suck but I’m sure there’s some good ones somewhere near you. I’ve had some great trips on party (head boats). Keep trying til you find one you like the make friends with the mate. They will usually treat you right. Beats 400 bucks to go out on a 20 foot center console.

13. mlea42

mlea42 Junior Member
    Thread Started By

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I’m not interested in the party boats. I’m looking into other options