1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Boat Recommendation

Discussion in 'Fishing Chatter = anything to do with fishing' started by JBF, Jan 5, 2020.

1. JBF

JBF Cabin Boy
    Fishing Chatter

Looking for an under 20 ft boat to fish inlets, rivers, and tributaries. I am overwhelmed, seems like most opinions are from people who have not owned the models they talk about. It also seems like the review videos are just advertisements that do not discuss cons. Anyone here local to Ponce ( where I will primarily fish) have solid advice? Would like to know what you use, cons and pros.

2. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

A few more questions that may help with the recommendations you get and narrow your field.
    How important is it for you to get in the super shallow flats?
    How many passengers most of the time?
    Anything in particular you have been leaning toward?

3. JBF

JBF Cabin Boy
    Fishing Chatter

Primarily two, super shallow not so important, would like to be able to fish the inlet, gig for flounder, shrimp, and crab. I was looking at the 18 Gheenoe, Carolina and Sundance skiffs, smaller center consoles. I really am not sure.

4. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Sam (Nautical Gator) has a big Sundance I’ve been in a few times. It gets really shallow, super stable, lots of room, works well out at the jetties, and according to him handles chop much better than the similar Carolina Skiffs.
    I’m sure he can give you a lot more good info. I personally would not want to fish the jetties in a Gheenoe.
    Scan the Boating forum section too if you haven’t already.

JBF likes this.
  5. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Matey

What is your budget? That's the biggest thing imo, you can get a decent older boat. I have had and currently have a Pathfinder. But in a smaller version, I would be looking at Maverick or Hewes. They are really good boats. Same family Maverick Boat group.

JBF likes this.
  6. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Matey

Are you looking at an older 2 stroke or 4 stroke.
    Something with a V bottom is going to handle chop better. I also would highly recommend a livewell on the boat.

7. 311sarge

311sarge Master Gunner

I had 17 sea pro before I moved to larger boat. It was great for river, lakes, and jetty’s. Even took it offshore on flat days. Was great for 2 adults 3 max. Very economic and easy to handle solo. Good all round boat but I wouldn’t want to go smaller than that especially for jetties. Too much boat traffic and wakes that anything smaller starts getting uncomfortable in my opinion.

Tarpun and JBF like this.
  8. JBF

JBF Cabin Boy
    Fishing Chatter

Looking for new. 30,000. Budget

9. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Matey

Oh ok, no experience with a new boat under 30k here. Sorry,

JBF likes this.
  10. Rich M

Rich M Mate

Don't forget to consider what you will tow it with and where to store the boat. Many boats don't readily fit in a garage.

JBF and Bossman like this.
  11. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Matey

If I were looking in that price range, I would check out the Spyder made in GA I believe.
    Sundance and Sea born in that family of boats also. I'm not sure if you could get the 19 for 30k but they sure look pretty nice. I know a guy who has one and he really likes it.

JBF likes this.
  12. 311sarge

311sarge Master Gunner

If new is what your going for and under 2o foot I would consider going around to different sellers and look at different layouts. Keywest, Tidewater, blazer. Ect. I spent many hours on tidewater and can attest that they are a solid vessel and you get decent boat for the money. Most entry to mid level boats are priced similarly and really depends on fit and finish that your wanting and options that fit your needs. Best advice I could say is kick some tires maybe even a boat show. Talk to people at the ramps with a boat that you think is the right size. Good luck.

JBF likes this.
  13. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

The Miami boat show is coming up soon, I would highly suggest going there you will see almost every boat made.
    My sundance DX22 was around 37,000, plus trailer, electronics, etc.... good inshore fishing shrimping boat, two live wells and plenty of room. I like it because it does not list when a few people stand along the gunwell or bow etc.

Miami International Boat Show®
    February 13-17, 2020
    https://www.miamiboatshow.com/

JBF likes this.
  14. mrwetwork

mrwetwork Pirate

Man for gigging it's hard to beat an ole Carolina skiff. I highly recommend going to the boat show as recommended before. They have the non flat bottom versions that are pretty good too. There isn't a ton new in that price range, some amazing used boats though.

JBF likes this.
  15. JBF

JBF Cabin Boy
    Fishing Chatter

I see a new 18 JVX for under 20 boat motor and aluminum trailer. It is a side console though. Anyone here been on a 17 stumpknocker?

16. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

stumpknocker not good for the jetty and any kind of wakes.
    18 JVX I would go bigger

JBF likes this.
  17. Johannes

Johannes Blackbeard

For under 20K I bought us a 2 year old Bayliner F18 inculding trailer. Okay, I am a newbie with only very little experience but we really like it for fishing the Intra Coastal and the jetty (provided it is a nice day).

Pros for us: It offers a life well, a nice fishing platform, a cooler seat, enough room for 3 bigger guys, it is self bailing, has storage room in front for two batteries so you can easily install a 24V trolling motor and -very important for us- it fits into our garage. And with the 115HP we were told you could also pull a wakeboarder.

Cons: With a draft of around 12" you can't go too shallow and it is sensitive to wake. So you don't want to go to the jetty in case it is a little bit rougher out there.

F18.jpg

mak likes this.
  18. 311sarge

311sarge Master Gunner

If you don’t wanna go to Miami, Stuart has a boat show this weekend jan10-12

19. Johannes

Johannes Blackbeard

Just in case you are interested, we would really like to demonstrate you how the F18 feels like. We are going to be back in NSB 01 April 2020.

20. kayakmike

kayakmike Cabin Boy

can't go wrong with a Maverick....