1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Black Powder 2019

Discussion in 'Hunting - Trapping, Deer, Gator, Hog, Turkey' started by Bossman, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member
    Thread Started By

Well this year as normal I took 2 weeks’ vacation so I can hunt the whole Black Powder season. Mainly because that is the prime time for the rut to kick in at our club. I started my vacation by covering my office windows with camo, and leaving a sign on my desk that said Gone Hunting!
    20191018_181428.jpg

20191018_181412.jpg

On 10/19 I started late because of the rain. That afternoon I got in a box stand out of the rain and saw on buck that was out of range and only got a glimpse at him.

10/20-21 I hunted block 11 out of one stand, trying to catch the movement of a big buck that I have on my hit list. I never got a glimpse of him so I’ll have to try and slip around to a different area. But I don’t want to focus to much time on block 11 because if I do everyone will get the idea Tony is hunting block 11 a lot he must know there is a big buck is in there maybe we should try hunting there. So, I’ll hop around and keep the heat down.
    20191021_103204.jpg

10/20-22 I hunted block 1 I had seen sign that a good buck might be in there. I already had 1 stand set up in the area so I placed a ground blind in a location close by and set there the first day and saw 5 does but no bucks. The second day I got in my stand at daylight. 8:00 I had a doe and a small buck feed by. I sat in the stand until 11:00 with nothing else happening except losing the feeling in my legs. I went and grabbed lunch, came back filled a couple of club feeders and changed batteries in one of my trail cameras on a food plot. Then I did a little ground stalk until it was time to get in the stand. 4:00 I climb up and sat for the afternoon. 5:00 I started seeing deer, I had 3 does come out and start feeding under the oak trees in the hammock that I was sitting. They fed off then in a few minutes another doe came out with a young 5 point they fed for a good time then started playing. Then trotted off and the doe ran back in and stopped. I could see the back half of the 5 point and could tell that he was sparing and could hearing the horns tickling. I never saw the other buck in front of me. Later I had a button buck come in from behind me and walk 3’ under the stand. He and the 5 point fed in front for 15 minutes as I took pictures. As they fed off I hear something behind me and I looked and it was a good buck but he was just moving straight across and not coming my way. I had to turn him because he just went out of sight. So I bleated 3 times getting louder each time and got ready. I’m looking where I had seen him last or where I thought he might come out. Then all of a sudden a deer starts coming out to my left. It was him he had gone further around than I thought he would but was coming out 30 yards away. He wound up being a 2 year old 7 point and had about a 12” spread. So he got the hall pass this time it’s too early in the year and I’ve got bigger bucks out there.

20191023_190358.jpg 20191023_183205.jpg

Nautical Gator and mak like this.
  2. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Glad you are seeing plenty of deer to keep you pumped and on your toes. You will get your chance at the big boy sooner or later. Always amazes me how I can lose site of them so quickly and then have them reappear not where you were sure they would be based on their previous path or speed.
    Nice pics and thanks for the report of your progress so far.

Bossman likes this.
  3. Bossman

Thread Started By

10/23-25 I started out going to hunt Block 13, on the way to the area that I was going to hunt I had to go thru a mud hole that I had gone thru 2 day prior. I started thru it and it had been rutted up really bad and I got stuck. So before daylight my day has already started south. Luckily I was able to call another member that was leaving that morning to go home to come pull me out. After that I went to the other side of the block and scouted around a little bit just seeing if I might find a good area the hunt over there. After lunch I regrouped and decided to try hunting block 10. I had already found a couple of spots that I wanted to try in block 10. I went to the first area and set up the climber and settled in at 3:00 for the evening hunt. Dark came and I had not seen anything. The next morning I was going to be in the stand before daylight, so I got up early and was in the stand 30 minutes before daylight. OMG the skeeters were bad I needed a flame thrower instead of a Therma Cell. The morning of the 24th I sat in the same spot, the story is about the same except I did see a couple of deer 200 yards across the cut down feeding in a hammock. I tried calling to them but they heard it but didn’t react to it. The 25th was the same story except in the evening hunt I did have an 80 Lbs. boar hog come in and start feeding on some corn. When I climbed down I packed everything up and pulled out of that spot, I stayed there to long but it looked too good.

Nautical Gator likes this.
  4. Bossman

Thread Started By

10/26/19 I have to start it off with the night before. When I climbed down I packed up and carried my climber out. I had a friend that was coming out behind me to help me carry the climber in and get it set up at another location that I knew was a good area, well so I thought because I had thought that the last place was the prime spot. Now back to the 26th. . All this week I’ve been talking to Sam and texting back and forth from the stand. He’s trying to give me encouragement from days of sitting in the stand see much of nothing. The day before Sam was like “Oh today’s the day you’re going to kill a big buck today I can feel it.” I think I called him and told him that the day was pretty much shot because I was stuck. Sam’s reply was “well if it’s not today it’ll be tomorrow.” Sam is always trying to keep you pumped up and motivated. Anyway back to this morning’s hunt I got in the stand before daylight and was waiting for daylight to break, there was a light breeze blowing from my left to my right. I’m expecting the deer to come in from the left. That is my off hand but I can shot with both hand equally. The sun starts to rise and everything was quite. I was hoping to have some movement back to the bed area or maybe some coming into the feed area but it was quite. At 8:00 I saw some movement and it was a doe feeding in front of me after a couple of minutes a saw another doe and a yearling. They fed off to my left, it had been 20 minutes and I hadn’t seen or heard anything else. My butt was starting to hurt so slowly stood up in the stand. Then looked to the left in behind me, and around to my right, and standing 15 yards away looking up at me is a buck. (A GOOD BUCK) I’m thinking my gun is in the gun holder if I move he’s going to bolt. If I don’t do anything he’s fixing to bolt anyway. I’ve got to try to get my gun, so I slowly start too been down to get my gun and he bolts! Quickly I grab my rifle and grunted twice really loud amazingly he stopped. He was in behind heavy brush but I was thing if he goes to the right he come to the open and I’ll have a chance at about that time I see him starting to fast walk to the right. As soon as he stepped into the open spot I grunted again and he stopped just long enough for the smoke to fly. I sat down and text Sam and told him the story and told him that I just shot a nice 8 point. And was about to get down and go look for it. He tells me don’t forget to reload. I go to the place where I shot him and there was blood everywhere good sign. I start walking and the blood almost stops. A speck here and there. I’ve tracked lots of deer and have like a 6th since of tracking deer in where they will travel. I was able to make short work of the blood trail. As I walked up to the deer and looked I counted one side and it had 5 points I picked his head up and counted the other side and it had 5 points also. Then I had to count them again just to make sure that I counted them right. I had just shot a 10 point which is a first for me I’ve shot several 7&8’s but never a 10. I weighted him at 140Lbs. And of course the texting then began. This afternoon I hunted block 13 mainly trying to get on some hogs, but had no luck.

20191026_110617.jpg

20191026_091000.jpg

20191026_090943.jpg

Nautical Gator likes this.
  5. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

good job there BossMan, I know it was going to happen that day.
    The part you left out above was that when you seen the three does at first light, and texted me the pics,
    at 8:01AM I said "cool, There should be a Mudder Bucker looking for them Does" AT 8:22 you texted me that you shot a buck.
    Nice Job. Thumbsup1:::1

wildgamefeast-jpeg-jpg.jpg

Bossman likes this.
  6. mak

Congrats on your first ten and all your hard work finally paying off. Nice looking deer.
    glad you were able to stop him and get a shot after he spotted you. I can’t remember ever being busted by one and then managing to stop them for a shot. You’ve got me thinking back over the years now trying to remember.
    Sometimes it just takes patience and persistence for it to finally pay off. Thumbsup1:::1

Bossman likes this.
  7. Bossman

Thread Started By

10/27 This morning I saw that we had some rain coming in sometime in the morning hunt. So I thought that I would try to hunt for a hog some where that I would be close to my truck. That way if it started to rain I could get to my truck quickly. The rain started around 10:00 so I packed it up and called it a day. I thought that I would go to a BBQ place for some lunch and go home and get some rest. The hunting stuff will get you tired after doing it every day. The screen shot is the area that I was hunting trying to find some hogs. I thing tomorrow I might go to the feeder that I have run soybeans in all summer long. that should be a day full of seeing does and small bucks, and maybe a hog.

Screenshot_20191027-215423_Maps.jpg

8. mak

Looks like a nice area you hunt. Sounds like you will have well fed subjects to invite home to dinner. Good luck.Smiley Signs003::1

9. Bossman

Thread Started By

10/27-30 Was all pretty much the same result nothing much, the feed times were bad and in the middle of the day. With temps in the high 80’s I wasn’t going to stroke it out there for that. I tried different blocks each day some with feeders some with just stands, both with same results. The feeder that I had run all summer long with soybeans I filled last week I thought that I would go to and surely see something. I get there to find out that the night after I filled it one of the legs had sunk into the ground causing ALL of the soybeans to pour out onto the ground. The hogs had taken over that place and ran all of the deer off. I didn’t see a deer and the hogs didn’t come in till after dark. So hunting for me has been has been really slow after killing the 10 point.

10/31/19 I decided to take the day off today since I’ve been hard at it all black powder season. I thought that I would stay at home and get some cloths washed and rest. As any hunter knows the wife doesn’t know how to wash cammo. 1. You don’t put a dryer sheet in the dryer when drying them! And always use the scent free laundry soap.

10. mak

Ha, ha! I always run around as soon as hunting season is over and buy up the non-scent deodorant, detergent and soap when whatever they have leftover usually goes on sale for 50-70% off.

Bossman likes this.
  11. Bossman

Thread Started By

11/1/19 I went back to block 11 to see if I could get up on the big buck that I’ve been searching for all black powder season. It is quickly drawing down to a close and if I’m going to close out my black powder season with the buck that started out looking for I had better do something pretty quick. The stand that I hunted was close to a mile from where I parked my truck, and would take about 25 minutes to walk to the stand. I made it into the stand and that morning saw 4 deer but the big buck was nowhere to be seen. That afternoon was pretty much the same thing except I did see a big boar hog also that I didn’t want to ave anything to do with. So I closed out the Black Powder season with a 10 point buck that is a personal best for me and that’s no complaining for me. He is entered in a big buck contest that I was entered in for black powder, so we’ll see how he does with that.

12. mak

That’s a nice ten you got earlier so like you said, you can’t complain. The upside is that he’s still out there so you still have a good chance to get him during regular fire warm season. May have to wait for the rut for a better chance at seeing him but your/his time will come.

13. Rich M

Rich M Mate

Very nice Bossman! What a nice looking buck.

Did I see room on your office wall for that rack?

You'll get the other one. No need to rush when you can enjoy the chase.

14. Bossman

Thread Started By

There is always room for another rack somewhere.

15. Congratulations on your first double digit!
    You certainly worked for it!

Bossman likes this.
  16. Bossman

Thread Started By

Thanks Steve, never looked at it that way. :)