1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Bet Nobody Has Done This!

Discussion in 'Fishing Chatter = anything to do with fishing' started by William OBrien, Jul 15, 2019.

1. William OBrien

William OBrien Cabin Boy
    Fishing Chatter

Bought a new boat (to me anyway), proud as can be! Told the guys we are going out fishing on sunday so get ready. I wanted everything perfect and towed the boat to the gas station to fill up the night before. Met my friend there who was coming the next morning and was dying to see the boat.
    Stuck the pump in, and him and a couple on a harley next to me were stating how nice that boat is when all of the sudden, my friend asks
    "is there supposed to be fuel running out of the transom?" Sh%t, I filled up the rod holder!!!!!!

That was a mess..........
    So far I know 3 other people that have done the same thing.

2. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Smiley Laughing025::1
    That’s pretty bad. Must have been quite embarrassing. That’s one of those things your buddies will never let you live down.
    Here’s a messy “can’t believe I’m admitting this” story. Had just finally finished my transmission rebuild and got it and the engine back in car. Was on about the 6th or 8th quart of tranny fluid before I realized I was standing in it as it spread all over my garage floor. Had forgotten to get the oil pan back on...

3. robthetimekeeper

robthetimekeeper Seaworthy

Many people have died doing that. BOOM!

4. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

that was an expensive tank of gas... glad it did not ignited. not sure of your tanks placement but mine are away from the rod holders, and has a recessed lip around it which could never to mistaken for a rod holder? you should be glad you don't have them rod holders that drain into the hull Smiley Signs002::1

5. William OBrien

William OBrien Cabin Boy
    Fishing Chatter

I put a sticker on the side of the hull so I will never do that again. Scrubbed the deck with orange cleaner. cleaned out the fishbox and all is good.

6. Ok. I’m going to admit to doing the same thing when I first got my boat!!! I bet you’ll never do it again.

I’ll admit to another rookie mistake I made the same year. I launched with no plug. Didn’t realize it until my bilge pump kicked on and was pumping like a firehose!!! I had to jump into the harbor water ind screw the plug in.

I guarantee I’ll never do either of those things again. :)

7. mak

mak Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Yep, now that I’ve done once before with my old Ranger bass boat. Normally kept in the water at our dock but I had kept it in the driveway while doing some work for a few weeks. Decided to do some fishing on the way back to the house/dock after launching. Noticed it was sitting way low in the water as I worked the shoreline with my trolling motor... :knocking my head: Much longer and I would have looked like one of the old Ranger advertisements with the guys fishing off it while it was filled with water...

8. mkyota1

mkyota1 First Mate

I have not done it but have heard of it happening to several others. Lesson learned.

9. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

Well, I guess you've found the name for your boat. "That's Not The Hole!"

shrimpmansteve likes this.
  10. hevad

hevad Blackbeard

:oops::
    Haven't done exactly that, but plenty of other like things. Backed the boat down at the Turtle Mound ramp and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't slide off... got out to take a look at saw that the trailer, boat and all was floating and that I'd forgot to take off the straps on the transom.

11. Now that’s funny funny stuff

Bossman likes this.
  12. Rich M

Rich M Mate

Glad it wasn't any worse than fuel in the hull and out at the gas station. We always had above-deck tanks cause dad had a fitting break on a below deck tank once. Sucks losing so much space up top.

Have launched without the plug a few times - usually a utility hull so it was real apparent when getting in boat. Oopsie!

We were launching over the side of a impoundment in MINWR and the rear corner of the skiff goes under due to angle, instead of letting it pop up my dad grabs on and just holds it - sunk the boat. Pulled it out, drained it, choked the mud motor and pulled 3 times - dang thing fired right up. Launched and headed into the swamp.

13. chickenchaps

chickenchaps Pirate

HAHA!! Big (expensive) ooopps!

14. aharp61

aharp61 Deckhand

Sounds ugly, never done it!

15. Jared

Jared Pirate

Yikes— very dangerous

16. Honkey

Honkey Newbie

Holly crap I would've freaked out!

17. Rich in fish

Rich in fish Blackbeard

Well I’ve got to tell you. I have a relative in North Carolina who has made a profession of this. He has filled his gunnels at least 6 times that I know of. Ruined three boats. He did it twice with my son and then I went to visit him. We were walking around the new boat the night before and I told him “ not for nothing but why don’t you put a rod in the rod holder so you don’t screw up again”. He said I’m ok I learned my lesson. Next morning I’m in the store getting ice and I hear him screaming sh...... I did it again. You can’t make this stuff up! I love him but you can’t fix stupid.

mkyota1 likes this.
  18. Rocky1789

Rocky1789 Master Gunner

I would've freaked out that was very dangerous BOOM!

19. cajunl

cajunl Newbie

I almost did the same last week. Caught it before I started pumping. Didnt feel the the sharpest knife at that moment! LOL

20. Ensign

Ensign Newbie

Oh God, glad to hear that everything is okay