1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Best Eating Fish

Discussion in 'Questions & Answers: Gain Angling Knowledge' started by SpaceCam, Oct 29, 2016.

1. SpaceCam

SpaceCam Pirate in the making
    Thread Started By

I realize this is a highly subjective question, but throw your 2 cents in as to your pick on the best eating fish to be caught locally.

I come from Australia and our salt-water fish species are for the most part vastly different to what you guys catch here.

A couple of my fav eating fish from back home are Bream and Flathead.

BREAM: Bream are a much prized and highly rated food fish, although some people would argue they are somewhat over-rated in this department. Bream from lower estuaries, harbours and the open ocean have moist, while flesh with a clean, sweet flavour. Upper estuary or freshwater dwelling fish often exhibit slightly softer flesh, and can have a slightly weedy or muddy taint at times.
    92?thumbnailSize=large.png

FLATHEAD: Flathead are highly rated table fish with firm, white and flaky flesh which tends towards dryness in larger fish. They are best suited to recipes which help to maintain moisture content in the flesh while cooking.
    IMG_0290-1024x768.jpg
    (no, that's not me - I wish!)

Personally, I like to cook my fish on the grill or wrapped in foil with lemon, peppers and onion and baked.

2. fishingfool

fishingfool Lieutenant

Inshore: Flounder and whiting would be tied for my personal favorite. Almost all of the local fish are excellent eating.

Jeepster, Shrimp Gritter and Alps like this.
  3. Ken Boone

Ken Boone Seaman Recruit

Agree Captain, flounder and whiting both excellent. Reds are amazingly good in soup and on the BBQ, mangroves fried are hard to beat. Overall, I would say reds are my favorite, followed closely by flounder.

Alps likes this.
  4. Alps

Alps Swashbuckler

Like fishing fool said, most local fish are excellent. I always think it's a function of the fish, how it was handled, and then, how it's prepared at home.

Jeepster and Shrimp Gritter like this.
  5. George Anderson

George Anderson Treasure Hunter

Flounder / Fluke are at the top of my NE fish for great eats...Haddock is second...

6. robthetimekeeper

robthetimekeeper Seaworthy

Hogfish is best but can't get them around here. Flounder or trout are best locally.

7. fishingfool

fishingfool Lieutenant

To get a good read on the best fish simply cook it without any seasoning or spices. Good fish doesn't need any "help".

Shamrock and Alps like this.
  8. Alps

Alps Swashbuckler

Yeah...now that you mention it...that SHOULD BE the yardstick here.

Flounder was at the top of 'my' list, too, but there were several close-seconds (incl freshwater species), so close, it didn't really matter. "They're all good!" [my palate, my experiences] I know some folks who turn their noses up at flounder. They probably had a bad experience, and now, they're ruint fer life. Or they just have lousy taste buds. ha

As spacecam stated, 'highly subjective'....

Given your consistent production --- and I imagine you eat all that you catch, pretty much --- your yardstick comes backed with a wealth of experience and keen observation. :cheers:

9. Shrimp Gritter

Shrimp Gritter Seaman apprentice

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:Freshwater: Speckled Perch, Bass, and wild Talapia; Saltwater Inshore: Whiting, Flounder, and Pomp's; Saltwater Offshore: Wahoo, Dophin, Cobia, Red Snapper, Grouper.....skip......skip......oops! I'm running out of ink. It would probably be easier and a lot shorter to just list those fish I don't care for. LOL:p:D:D:D

10. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Mate

I would have to say Tripletail pretty darn good but flounder hard to beat. And Snapper would be a close second. But don't forget our shrimp. My 2 cents are in.

Lynnae and Shrimp Gritter like this.
  11. SpaceCam

Thread Started By

Thanks for the input guys. Flounder and Whiting especially are popular back in Oz.
    I really like Whiting too, but the main reason I didn't include it in my top 2 was the vast amount of little bones.
    Great tasting fish though and fun to catch!

12. fishingfool

fishingfool Lieutenant

Whiting have the same bones structure as the rest of the fish! Just cut them out

Shrimp Gritter likes this.
  13. SpaceCam

Thread Started By

So I swear to God, what I am about to tell you is true......

I am from a little town called Evans Head on the Far North Coast of NSW in Australia.
    It's a sleepy little beachside town in a glorious part of the world.
    It's about 45 minutes south of another slice of heaven you may have heard of called Byron Bay.
    When I originally moved there in 1988, the population was just 1800 people (now it's up to a huuuuge 2,722 - like I said, a tiny little town).

So the picture above, of the dude with the Flathead....
    I just googled "Flathead fish" and picked this pic at random solely because it's a killer specimen of a flattie.
    I didn't even look at the background initially.

When I came back to this thread to view the replies, I looked at the pic again to admire the fish (it's a huge flattie!) and then it struck me.....
    THAT WAS TAKEN IN EVANS HEAD!!!
    I just sent the pic to one of my mates who still lives there and was like "Dude, this is Evans right?! That's the Fisherman's Coop in the background, the marina to the right and the road up the hill to the lookout on the left".
    He replied back, "Yep, that's Evans!"
    I'm floored! lol
    Neither of us know who the fisherman is - but we're both jealous!

That's the Evans River behind him and I have stood right there MANY times, throwing out into the river. But I sure never caught a flattie that big!

Unbelievable coincidence!

CongoX and Alps like this.
  14. Cobia300

Cobia300 Powder Monkey

It's incredible how small the world really is! that's a great story. Thanks for sharing.

15. lobsterman

lobsterman Seaman Recruit

I like snapper localy. Is it me, or does that guy with the flathead resembles Sam.

16. Joseph Warga

Joseph Warga Cabin Boy

Flounder..snapper and up North striped bass or monkfish..the later being ugly as sin..but both taste like lobster

17. Nocatfish

Nocatfish Seaworthy

Great story. I have always wated to go to Australia...fishing there would add bonus points.
    No one mentioned triggerfish as best eating. They are hard to beat. Also tripletail and just about any snapper (besides vermillion...flesh abit too mushy for my taste)

18. Alps

Alps Swashbuckler

Ha! Nice story, heckuva coincidence. Thanks for sharing! :cheers:

19. Mark Driscoll

Mark Driscoll Pirate in the making

Just learning to ID some of the many Florida fish and trying to digest the regulations. Learning to catch them is an even greater challenge.

The top three New England fish, for me, are flounder, haddock and striper. Cod, pollock, cusk, hake and the rest of the ground fish trail far behind, but are loved by many.

Also, in my opinion fresh Florida shrimp edge out the lobster that I catch in Maine.

Mark
    Wells, Maine. Titusville, Florida

20. Woodennickle

Woodennickle Pirate

My favorite of all is the lowly black sea bass. The flesh is pure white and so mild. Great when stuffed with crab meat. Wish I had some now!!

Shrimp Gritter likes this.