1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Beginner Snorkeling

Discussion in 'Diving, Hookahing, Spear Fishing, Snorkeling' started by SpaceCam, Jul 18, 2017.

1. SpaceCam

SpaceCam Pirate in the making
    Thread Started By

Hey gang,

My son and I have just started really basic snorkeling- we both have full face masks and swim fins. That's it.
    All we want to do really is see some fish in a nice relatively shallow area with calmer waters and good visibility.
    Can anyone ecommend some good places on either the Atlantic or Gulf coasts of Central Florida - preferably anywhere between say St. Augtine and Sebastian Inlet on the Atlantic side and Homosassa and Sarasota on the Gulf side. If there is good fishing also, that's a huge bonus. Springs would also be cool, as long as the snorkeling is good.

Thanks all!

2. lobsterman

lobsterman Seaman Recruit

Blue springs is great for beginners.

3. SpaceCam

Thread Started By

Thanks lobsterman! Appreciate the reply.

4. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman

I started out at Itchetucknee Springs snorkling about 40 years ago. It's beautiful there! 300 feet vis underwater!
    Any of the springs are beautiful and there are a lot of them in Florida.
    I bought a couple of books on the subject and started exploring the different springs. It's been a life long interest
    The water in the springs stays at 72F year round!

5. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

6. Goggle Eye

Goggle Eye Seaman Recruit

Here is the link for all of FL's springs. Hope this helps. Have fun.
    http://www.floridasprings.org/visit/

7. SpaceCam

Thread Started By

Goggle Eye likes this.
  8. relicshunter

relicshunter Pirate in the making

we hit an area south of Steinhatchee just a little bit. It had a nice mix of coral and sponges, in 5-6' water. I need to find it again. I've seen lots of neat fish and sea life in the shallow water outside dark island by keaton. Out by a row of large rocks. Groups of spade fish, gobys, porcupine puffers, starfish, all types of stuff.

9. SpaceCam

Thread Started By

Sounds like a great Spot relicshunter!

10. Roadhammer

Roadhammer Cabin Boy

The springs and rivers are great but chilly. Of course, scalloping is loads of fun while snorkeling and you have the manatee dives in Crystal River.

11. Troy von Blankenburg

Troy von Blankenburg Treasure Hunter

There's a really cool rock pile/reef on the gulf side of Egmont Key. Ive seen monster tarpon, snook, barracuda, grouper, you name it there. Need a boat or hop on the ferry at Ft Desoto

12. rebelmusic

rebelmusic Newbie

Ginnie Springs is cool, especially if you like 1000 people surrounding you while you snorkel.

13. bogman102

bogman102 Seaman

Don't go to the springs on weekends!

14. Citadel16

Citadel16 Newbie

Any places to snorkel off the beach?

15. Roadhammer

Roadhammer Cabin Boy

Beaches are a different animal. Turbid water when the surf is up, rip currents, etc. Calm seas, one can probably got out past the first sand bar and get a little more vis. One also has to be aware of the current also moving along the beach. Not nearly as much to look at, mostly sand (desert).