1. Guest, did you know that we are counting on you to become a actively participating member of our Club and Forum? Click here to see how:

Dismiss Notice
Welcome To ShrimpNFishFLorida
Dismiss Notice
In order to view Reports and Posts in the (R) restricted access threads of this forum you must sign up as a member
Dismiss Notice
Guest After signup you will need to make an Introduction Post. Thanks

Anchoring

Discussion in 'Fishing Chatter = anything to do with fishing' started by adallas, Jul 20, 2018.

1. adallas

adallas Blackbeard
    Fishing Chatter

I am having a hard time anchoring I show, off shore and the jetties. I have 21 ft robalo. I have had the fluke I got with the boat and now I am trying a chene. Is it possible I need more chain? I have 3 or 4 feet. I know how to anchor but struggling.

2. Nautical Gator

Nautical Gator Forum Captain, Moderator, Peacekeeper Staff Member

3. Bossman

Bossman Moderator on Deck Staff Member

I've got the itch for a Manson 30# Anchor really bad, just haven't got off the wallet yet for it. That will hold you for sure but I think that you probably need at least 5' of chain with a fluke. IMO

4. adallas

adallas Blackbeard
    Fishing Chatter

5. Srfrdave

Srfrdave Buccaneer

I have a 5lb anchor fluke style with about 12 feet of chain, works almost always first drop. 22ft boat. Hope that helps.

6. adallas

adallas Blackbeard
    Fishing Chatter

Awesome. I was pretty sure I needed more chain.

7. Rich M

Rich M Sailing Master

more chain or more rode (rope out). An anchor ball will help pulling the anchor in.

8. TerryWinn

TerryWinn Junior Member

I would suggest at least 20 feet of heavy chain- we use 30 ft on a 35 ft boat with a fluke style Danforth anchor and have no problem.
    I believe there was a rule of thumb that says 1 ft of chain per foot of boat length- but you need some good heavy chain- I would say 3/8 minimum.